connecting wires at a new house

h90

First of all I am sorry to be not fluent on the English words of the parts (German speaker).

Electric guy want to twist the wires together and put a small plastic cap above them. Doesn't sound good to me.

Before in Europe I knew these small blocks with screws. He told not good. And he is right, as I had a couple here the broke, first the plastic than the metal (brass?).

What is a good solution? I could import them from Europe without problems, but don't want to replace a bad solution with a worse....

In Thailand (to my experience), the wire connectors commonly available here are not up to (what seems to me is) a good standard. I have used many of the local wire nuts and tunnel connectors and usually have to work at making a good connection.

I've said it before and will repeat: The "Thai twist and tape" is probably a better connection than using the sub-standard crap available here. If you doubt, just try and take apart a "Thai twist". The thing that they don't do in many cases is put the connection in a box. Just saying... a "twist and tape" might not look good, but it's probably a better connection than anything else.

Yes these connectors are popular in North America but not approved in the

European union standard. (They are called nut wire connectors).

post-63109-0-77725500-1431271602_thumb.j

post-63109-0-27753900-1431271585_thumb.j

They are ok, they do the job, but most electricians in Thailand don't bother using them,

they just strip the wires and twist them together and wrap insulation tape around them

instead. This method is the most popular here.

In Thailand (to my experience), the wire connectors commonly available here are not up to (what seems to me is) a good standard. I have used many of the local wire nuts and tunnel connectors and usually have to work at making a good connection.

I've said it before and will repeat: The "Thai twist and tape" is probably a better connection than using the sub-standard crap available here. If you doubt, just try and take apart a "Thai twist". The thing that they don't do in many cases is put the connection in a box. Just saying... a "twist and tape" might not look good, but it's probably a better connection than anything else.

yes my experience as well, but the twist is still something bad.....things corrode on the surface.....

attachicon.gifArray_of_twist-on_wire_connectors_aka_wire_nuts_in_different_sizes.jpg

attachicon.gif220px-Junction_box.agr.jpg

They are ok, they do the job, but most electricians in Thailand don't bother using them,

they just strip the wires and twist them together and wrap insulation tape around them

That is allowed in north America? I don't worry for that cup, but for the twist. Twisting wires together is so 1940 to me. But well yes it does the job. Maybe not as bad as it looks

attachicon.gifArray_of_twist-on_wire_connectors_aka_wire_nuts_in_different_sizes.jpg

That is allowed in north America? I don't worry for that cup, but for the twist. Twisting wires together is so 1940 to me. But well yes it does the job. Maybe not as bad as it looks

Twisting wires, properly, provides very good overall contact area, with no air gaps at contact points (so no arcing) - i.e. there's nothing wrong with it. When using wire nuts, the wires should be securely twisted together first, and trimmed to be equal length before screwing on the nut, and then wrapping the whole connection in tape, to seal it against dust and moisture ingress. Do it like this and you won't have any problems.

Alternatively, if you really just must to have something that meets EU standards, buy some Wago connectors at Thai Watsadu: http://www.pimatec.com/index.php/products/wago But be prepared to get some odd looks from your sparkies :)

^ wagos are my preferred choice by far

Moi aussi ^^^, Wagos are the Rolls-Royce of wire connectors.

That said, the local wire-nuts do work quite well. You need to twist the wires clockwise, trim the end the wind on the nut, the correct size is important. Some like to add a twist of tape but if you've put the beat on properly there's no real need.

I'm American and have used "wire nits" all of my life with no problems but have found that some of the ones available here are "sub standard". If I find a defective one I just toss it and get another.

I've used the screw type connectors available here with some success also. The trick is use on big enough so that both wires go all of the way through and are contacted by both screws. Some of them are "crap" also and break apart before you can get enough torque on the screw.

I also "tin" multi stranded wire before using either the wire nuts or screw connectors.

I've never seen or used Wago connectors. I want to buy some but every time I go to Home Pro I forget since it's not on my list because I forgot to put it on it! Short term memory is a botch!

Wayne.

HomePro don't have Wagos sad.png There are a few distributors in Thailand including a forum sponsor.

As to tinning stranded cable, the jury is still out even after many years, the issue is that the solder can wick up under the insulation and introduce a stress point which can fracture. Personally I don't tin, if there's a possibility of a small cable not getting gripped properly then a bootlace ferrule is the answer (another thing that's difficult to find here).

As with many things in Thailand, Ebay is your friend.

I recently had a house built, I didn't see most of the work being done so who knows what quality or lack of it went on in the construction.

I did happen to see the electrician doing ' twist n tape ' on the two outside porch lights .... I yelled and went off at this practice and called the english speaking friend who in turn called the electrician ....

my friend found the plastic screw cap type and told the electrician to use them ....

the electrician looked at me like I was stupid .... anyway he did it as I wanted .

The rest of the house is probably all twist n tapped .... I bet 100% .....

They work Okay, if the correct size is used - presumable better than the "Thai-way" with electrician tape - I have (or rather my electrician) used them all over when building my house about 5 years ago. thumbsup.gif

^ wagos are my preferred choice by far

Moi aussi ^^^, Wagos are the Rolls-Royce of wire connectors.

That said, the local wire-nuts do work quite well. You need to twist the wires clockwise, trim the end the wind on the nut, the correct size is important. Some like to add a twist of tape but if you've put the beat on properly there's no real need.

The tape is a good extra measure though, as with the expansion/contraction cycles wiring may get, the plastic caps sometimes can work themselves off the coiled metal part. The wire nuts in Thailand seem to be more prone to this than ones in the west.

The problem with taping is that due to the heat and humidity, the adhesive and tape become brittle and easily falls off after a period of time if disturbed.

We use junction boxes in the UK made specifically for underfloor or ceiling connections. Connector strips in enclosed confines such as light switches very similar to 'wagos'.

Wire nuts taped over probably the easiest and safest option in Thailand

Slightly off topicish but a company called Ideal are trying to reintroduce twist-on connectors to the UK market

Seem them for sale a few times but never used them
Think I'll stick with Wagos

Correct. These are fine and used all over North America. They are to be used on all solid wires, not mixing solid and stranded in one connection. And use the proper size wire nut for the number of wires and wire gauge. A good quality wire nut (with the insert coiled wire as shown in the picture from Sotsira) does a better connection than only twisting the wires together because the wires get twisted together and the coiled metal part within the wire nut provides electrical contact within the wire nut on the outside of the twist. Been using them for a long time with no issues.

Seems a far better way of doing it than what I see as their normal of joining up wires........black insulating tape...almost everywhere.

Safety isn't given the same priority as it is elsewhere, that applies to almost everything.

Cost is their priority, so twisting and taping is the cheapest method.

I may have misunderstood the majority of the contributions here as I'm not sure if they are recommending a DIY method.

Could I respectfully suggest that no matter what method is used, it should only be carried out by a suitably qualified electrician. I know these can be hard to find but some time "asking round" for a recommended person would be worth it, especially if you can find someone who works to a western standard or has been trained there.

It may require digging a bit deeper and handing over a few more sheckles but believe me it will be worth it, 230V is not to be trifled with and the safety of you, and your's is very worth it.

As an indication that you should not touch things you don't know about, not many people have mentioned the difference between twisting solid drawn single core cable, and multiple stranded single core cable? The solid drawn single core cable should never be twisted, it is too prone to breaking and connections should be completed by a good quality tunnel connector.

Too many times I have seen people give advice for the DIY enthusiast using pictures and diagrams, please don't do this as there is NO substitute for knowledge, training and experience. It may mean cutting back on the grog for a week or two but it's worth paying someone who knows what they are doing...

I have my townhouse wired with twisting,

I had already several repairs on which we had to brake the gypsum ceiling ! not a fun,

and expensice to repair the ceiling !

I think every methode is good, it its done proper !

Here is the biggest problem, that thai workmanship is as good as your punishment,

but on many workers even punishment does work !

I use now in my 2nd home and weekend only tunnels with 2 screws,

which i take with me from europe !

On job I work with US medical equipments,

they using only tunneld fixtures,

same you do in most equipments - which manufactured in Thailand !!

Twisting cup is always aproblem, as you have different wires , 0,5, 1,0, 1,5, 2,5 ;

so 50% they not using the correct weco sice!

and very easy a thinner wire will stay loose if mixed diameters!!

After 40 years as an electrician i thought I knew a little about the trade...but after 2 years of Thai Visa I realise I know SFA...learn something everyday!!!

Stay safe.

No, they are called marr connector and they are a lot better than electrical tape. Widely used in North America.

Thailand does not have a proper Elctricians apprenticeship and certification program (or plumber or carpenter etc) You just have a bunch of farmers with various degrees of experience. There is not even a standard way to wire a house so you need to keep a schematic of how the wiring has been done so that if something goes wrong you can bring in a person to fix it - no schematic no fix. I know nothing about electrical systems though I have a proper respect because if something goes wrong your house burns down. If you can better you ask around with people in building contracting business - who is good and who they use. It's not just the materials used. It's the way it has been done and most take maximum shortcuts to up the profit in the job.

Twisting wires, properly, provides very good overall contact area, with no air gaps at contact points (so no arcing) - i.e. there's nothing wrong with it. When using wire nuts, the wires should be securely twisted together first, and trimmed to be equal length before screwing on the nut, and then wrapping the whole connection in tape, to seal it against dust and moisture ingress. Do it like this and you won't have any problems.

Alternatively, if you really just must to have something that meets EU standards, buy some Wago connectors at Thai Watsadu: http://www.pimatec.com/index.php/products/wago But be prepared to get some odd looks from your sparkies smile.png

What IMHO says here is spot on. "IF" you actually take the time to do as he describes in his post you will have a very good and safe connection.

Wayne.

HomePro don't have Wagos sad.png There are a few distributors in Thailand including a forum sponsor.

As to tinning stranded cable, the jury is still out even after many years, the issue is that the solder can wick up under the insulation and introduce a stress point which can fracture. Personally I don't tin, if there's a possibility of a small cable not getting gripped properly then a bootlace ferrule is the answer (another thing that's difficult to find here).

As with many things in Thailand, Ebay is your friend.

As for tinning stranded cable: On one installation for speaker every thinned connection corroded, corroded till the wire was only dust. Bad quality obviously but how to know before.

Archived