Lifecare Lab (blood test clinic) update

prk888

15 hours ago, balo said:

AllI am interested in is a PSA test and a few other blood tests I do yearly. Then talk to a doctor about the results if needed. Much cheaper than any of these packages .

For a young person like yourself (assumption), I would do the same, but an old retiree like me requires regular medical checkups and the packages discussed here are so affordable I view it as one of life's true bargains. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

For a young person like yourself (assumption), I would do the same, but an old retiree like me requires regular medical checkups and the packages discussed here are so affordable I view it as one of life's true bargains. 

That's what they rely on - foreigners with deep pockets who think their overpriced packages are a bargain. They win at both ends. When they spot abnormalities they can offer "bargain" remedies (surgical procedures, more expensive tests etc) too.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

That's what they rely on - foreigners with deep pockets who think their overpriced packages are a bargain. They win at both ends. When they spot abnormalities they can offer "bargain" remedies (surgical procedures, more expensive tests etc) too.

You are entitled to your opinion but out of curiosity where do you go for your ultrasound, ekg, or chest x-ray. 

12 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

I agree but BHP has Dr Ian Corness who is also very helpful. 

I'm surprised he has any spare time for that given the number of newspaper columns and books he churns out. Not to mention radio ad voice-overs and guest appearances at expat events. He is omnipresent.

2 hours ago, DMC1 said:

The test I stated above for B1000 includes EKG test..

I am looking at the Lifecare website and Program 5 is the only package I see with an EKG and the price is 2,500. I use Lifecare myself twice each year and I am unaware they had a doctor on site to interpret an EKG. Given that possibility, we still are comparing apples and oranges since Phyathai and BHP include ultrasound and chest x-rays. 

8 hours ago, tropo said:

That's what they rely on - foreigners with deep pockets who think their overpriced packages are a bargain.

The annual check-up package I get at Phyathai includes all the common blood and urine tests, plus PSA, plus ultrasound, plus others. Plus a consultation with a doctor who can explain and discuss the results, and what impact they may have on current or future treatment, which is something you will never get from a simple lab test.

And all for 3,500B, which as I mentioned is less than the cost of a regular ultrasound on its own.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I'm surprised he has any spare time for that given the number of newspaper columns and books he churns out. Not to mention radio ad voice-overs and guest appearances at expat events. He is omnipresent.

I have found him helpful on referrals, he is a doctor and Gavin is an administrator. 

6 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

You are entitled to your opinion but out of curiosity where do you go for your ultrasound, ekg, or chest x-ray. 

I was talking about actual tests and actual costs, not just stating an opinion. The numbers tell the story. I would get the ultrasound and Chest X-ray done at any hospital other than BPH or PIH. I like Pattaya Memorial, so that's where I'd go as it's convenient and there are plenty of English speakers there... so... I'd get the basic tests done at LifeCare and what they can't provide I would do at Pattaya Memorial. A lot of tests in these packages are totally unnecessary and can be scrubbed out after a bit of personal research.

In an above post, I was specifically comparing the 2500 package at LifeCare with the orange and blue packages offered by BPH. Only the Chest X-ray was missing from the LifeCare package. There is no ultrasound offered in the orange package, so it wasn't necessary for the comparison.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:
12 hours ago, tropo said:

That's what they rely on - foreigners with deep pockets who think their overpriced packages are a bargain.

The annual check-up package I get at Phyathai includes all the common blood and urine tests, plus PSA, plus ultrasound, plus others. Plus a consultation with a doctor who can explain and discuss the results, and what impact they may have on current or future treatment, which is something you will never get from a simple lab test.

And all for 3,500B, which as I mentioned is less than the cost of a regular ultrasound on its own.

I live in Pattaya. There are perfectly good hospitals and clinics here that suit my purposes. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not interested in travelling to other cities to get basic tests done when I have a clinic 5 minutes from my door. If I took a taxi how much would it cost me to travel to Phyathai Hospital in Sriracha? Add 2000 baht at least. Take a bus? No way! Ride there on my scooter? LOL. Convenience is important to me, but obviously, some people don't care. I wouldn't care less if I could save 3000 baht after taxi fares, I still wouldn't go there. I'd just pay the high price at BPH and save the trip.

If I had some condition that required tests that can only be done elsewhere, then, of course, I'd have to go elsewhere as I'd have no choice.

I don't care if a lab offers a consultation doctor or not. If I have a problem doctors are easy enough to find in Pattaya. I'm actually allergic to doctors, so the less I see of them, the better.

I am looking at the Lifecare website and Program 5 is the only package I see with an EKG and the price is 2,500. I use Lifecare myself twice each year and I am unaware they had a doctor on site to interpret an EKG. Given that possibility, we still are comparing apples and oranges since Phyathai and BHP include ultrasound and chest x-rays. 

It’s not on the website. It’s the “5th anniversary promotion”, or something. You have to call or go in to find this out as we didn’t even know until we turned up. PM me and I’ll attach part of the report which shows you if you don’t believe me.

Link to their FB page, scroll down to post from December 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2-286356681529217/

5 hours ago, tropo said:

I was talking about actual tests and actual costs, not just stating an opinion. The numbers tell the story. I would get the ultrasound and Chest X-ray done at any hospital other than BPH or PIH. I like Pattaya Memorial, so that's where I'd go as it's convenient and there are plenty of English speakers there... so... I'd get the basic tests done at LifeCare and what they can't provide I would do at Pattaya Memorial. A lot of tests in these packages are totally unnecessary and can be scrubbed out after a bit of personal research.

In an above post, I was specifically comparing the 2500 package at LifeCare with the orange and blue packages offered by BPH. Only the Chest X-ray was missing from the LifeCare package. There is no ultrasound offered in the orange package, so it wasn't necessary for the comparison.

Everybody is different, I have friends that make special trips to the butcher, then the baker, then store x, y, z because they have a special of the week. Great I say that works for them but for me time = money and it's a false savings hopping to x, y, z especially when it comes to health. I do use Lifecare twice a year as I mentioned. The 2500 baht package (program 5) doesn't offer ultrasound, period. The ultrasound package at PM is 10,500 baht, individual test?, your guess?, my guess 4000 - 5000.  Do the math and include a price for doctors and convenience. 

People I know do have cars and offer rides to others so going to Phyathai or BHP is not an issue. I simply use BHP for convenience and their healthy life packages coincide with my schedule. 

56 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

It’s not on the website. It’s the “5th anniversary promotion”, or something. You have to call or go in to find this out as we didn’t even know until we turned up. PM me and I’ll attach part of the report which shows you if you don’t believe me.

Link to their FB page, scroll down to post from December 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%9F%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2-286356681529217/

Thanks your timing was just right,  maybe I will be lucky enough to take advantage of their 10th anniversary special. 

Thanks your timing was just right,  maybe I will be lucky enough to take advantage of their 10th anniversary special. 

I tried to upload a screen shot showing the details of the report but this site won’t let me attach anything at the moment.

Like I said it was probably a bit lucky as my Mrs went in and asked if they did EKG and they offered her this B999 promotion with 20 items that includes it. Anyway, most of her results were normal, so no need to see a Dr. apart from the usual Thai thing of higher blood sugar and cholesterol!

I think this promotion was 5 years back in 2012 but they seem to be re-running it now....

35 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

I tried to upload a screen shot showing the details of the report but this site won’t let me attach anything at the moment.

Like I said it was probably a bit lucky as my Mrs went in and asked if they did EKG and they offered her this B999 promotion with 20 items that includes it. Anyway, most of her results were normal, so no need to see a Dr. apart from the usual Thai thing of higher blood sugar and cholesterol!

I think this promotion was 5 years back in 2012 but they seem to be re-running it now....

What is the promotion ?

What is the promotion ?

I can’t attach a screen shot at the moment so you will have to follow the link to their Thai Facebook page that I posted earlier and scroll back to December 2016.

This will show you exactly what 20 items are included for 999 Baht, which includes EKG. They offered it to my Mrs 3 days ago, so they must be rerunning it as a 10 year promotion or whatever.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

I live in Pattaya. There are perfectly good hospitals and clinics here that suit my purposes. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not interested in travelling to other cities to get basic tests done when I have a clinic 5 minutes from my door. If I took a taxi how much would it cost me to travel to Phyathai Hospital in Sriracha? Add 2000 baht at least. Take a bus? No way! Ride there on my scooter? LOL. Convenience is important to me, but obviously, some people don't care. I wouldn't care less if I could save 3000 baht after taxi fares, I still wouldn't go there. I'd just pay the high price at BPH and save the trip.

Fair enough. This is one reason why I have a car. It's no big deal to drive to Sri Racha. In fact I enjoy it.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Fair enough. This is one reason why I have a car. It's no big deal to drive to Sri Racha. In fact I enjoy it.

I figured that, but transport is a big factor in deciding where to go.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I can't imagine being stuck Pattaya without a way to escape!  LOL

Yeah, LOL. If I needed to "escape" (which I don't), a trip 70 - 90km round trip (depending on route) to a hospital in a neighbouring city is not my idea of an "escape". If we're recommending hospitals in other areas of Thailand, transport options, distance and time are an important factor to discuss. We could add: buy a car, so you can easily escape to Phyathai Hospital in Sri Racha to save a few thousand baht on medical checkups.:smile:

7 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Everybody is different, I have friends that make special trips to the butcher, then the baker, then store x, y, z because they have a special of the week. Great I say that works for them but for me time = money and it's a false savings hopping to x, y, z especially when it comes to health. I do use Lifecare twice a year as I mentioned. The 2500 baht package (program 5) doesn't offer ultrasound, period. The ultrasound package at PM is 10,500 baht, individual test?, your guess?, my guess 4000 - 5000.  Do the math and include a price for doctors and convenience. 

People I know do have cars and offer rides to others so going to Phyathai or BHP is not an issue. I simply use BHP for convenience and their healthy life packages coincide with my schedule. 

If I didn't like the price of a "whole abdominal ultrasound" at Pattaya Memorial I'd try Banglamung or Pattaya City hospitals. I've never had an abdominal scan, so the cost of them doesn't really concern me at this stage. That's the reason why I wasn't comparing the more expensive packages with LifeCare as I realise many of the tests listed on those packages can only be done at hospitals. A DEXA scan for bone density is another example. I have no idea of the individual costs of these type of exams at hospitals.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:24 AM, oldcarguy said:

is there a place in BKK that you can get the blood test without the full check-up

and how long for results.......

thanks for info.....

yes there is. very reputable company:

https://www.brianet.com/en/blood-test/

you can just go there and do your tests (as long as you know how to prepare for them).

How long it takes depends on what you are testing. That can be a few hours to one month.

They usually do even reply (!!!) to emails.

A little tricky to find in a residential area, but googlemaps is spot on, you can take a cab or even public bus

Archived