Increased Cost of Education - A Shortsighted Move

long klong

Anyone care to refute that this rise is due to inflation?

Dear KarenBravo,

I have a feeling you know that the increase is not due to inflation and are simply seeking a reaffirmation!! None of the major components of the school's expenditure has gone up.

1. The teachers and staff salaries have not gone up.

2. The electricity and water bills have not shot up.

3. The cost of landscape and and gardening is about the same.

4. The school claims that they need the money for "improvements". Well these should be paid from the capital budget as it enhances the value of the property.

5. The school doesn't pay rent. It had received large sums of money from an international organization to support the cost of building.

What are the other components of the overall expenditure that have gone up?

The only thing that has gone up is GREED!

Best regards

I wouldn't know if it was inflation, or not. But, I do know that inflation is over 6% per annum here.

Wouldn't you have more peace of mind if you just shrugged and realised that the increase is less than the rate of inflation?

Why get your knickers in a twist over something you have no control over?

Of course, you can always find a cheaper school if you're not happy.

These schools are not charities, they're businesses, which I'm sure you know.

Cost to maximise profit should be "whatever the market will bear".

It'll only be short-sighted if revenue goes down because of these cost increases.

Edited by KarenBravo

That is, assuming that everyone has luxuries to cut back on. I think most are barely scraping by as it is. And what luxury could the average family cut back up that would free up an extra 50 thousand baht to cover this 8% rise in tuition?

I don't have a child in an international school here, but it's no secret Phuket is outpricing itself in all areas, to the point where people can not justify paying the price.

What about moving, on the basis of seeking value for money education?

Edited by NamKangMan

Invest in your kids. Cut back on your luxuries to make it work.

Every financial adviser I've had always said investing in your children is better than any other investment. Think long term.

that is exactly what I did

10 years at international school in Thailand an entering her third year in college in Ca ( she gets grants and scholarships BECAUSE she got a good education in Thailand at an international school NOT a local thai school

already working p/t as a vet tech in the states to offset my costs

already has told me that i have a place with her whenever :-)

PS her college tuition and living expenses after the grants/scholarships are less than the tuition at the international schools here.

so to all

it gets easier

Edited by phuketrichard

Don't count luk krungs..

Being born in Thailand and having a Thai parent means you are Thai. (Despite whether other Thais consider you to be Thai or not.)

tell that to my daughter who is American yet holds a thai passport cause she was born here

You dont get Thai nationality / citizenship for being born here..

You get Thai citizenship if one or more of your parents is Thai, no matter where your born.

Has this changed ?? Was this different before ??

I don't have a child in an international school here, but it's no secret Phuket is outpricing itself in all areas, to the point where people can not justify paying the price.

What about moving, on the basis of seeking value for money education?

I know a few Phuket refugees here in Chiang Mai.. Who came because they have kids and the quality, options, and price of schooling for their kids was a huge factor in that.

unless your company is paying for that, it is a pure waiste of good money

650k + for 10 months => 65.000 baht.... that is more than my wife's monthly salary

if it comes out of your pocket, send them to bilingual school, and give them a nice cool 10.000.000 baht savings account by the time they turn 18

BREAKING NEWS

In response to furious protest by parents to the increase in fees, the School has now sent a letter offering the following concessions:

It will now give a discount of 4% instead of the usual 2% if the fees are paid in full at the beginning of the academic year instead of paying before each term.

It says further: "The Board of Trustees wishes to 'reafirm' that it has adopted a not-for-profit status." !!!

No comment is needed except to say that not a single student in the School's entire history has made it to Oxbridge or Iyy league universities. Considering

the above response, it's not surprising!!

-

BREAKING NEWS

In response to furious protest by parents to the increase in fees, the School has now sent a letter offering the following concessions:

It will now give a discount of 4% instead of the usual 2% if the fees are paid in full at the beginning of the academic year instead of paying before each term.

It says further: "The Board of Trustees wishes to 'reafirm' that it has adopted a not-for-profit status." !!!

No comment is needed except to say that not a single student in the School's entire history has made it to Oxbridge or Iyy league universities. Considering

the above response, it's not surprising!!

-

Oxbridge and Ivyleague combined only account for 5 out of the top 10 universities in the world.

The non-profit part gotta be a joke. If they assume their students and their parents are that stupid to fall for that, what does that tell you about the education itself?

Foreigners are better off to move to their home country in most cases for their childrens education if they can.

The world's top 12 universities are all American, or British,

Oxbridge and Ivy league 6 out of the top 10.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking

I see my school is in the top 40, and unfortunately don't see any local schools in the top 350. Lots of work to be done in TH as far as higher education goes.

Mmmm, no mention from members about the best university of all - "The University of Life." smile.png

agree

BUT 20 years ago, maybe even 10 but not anymore

without at least a 2 ( junior college niche) or a 4 year college degree ur severely limiting ur chances of a good career.