4 tourists pay THB8,840 for seafood meal

webfact

this is such a non topic.

How much did the menu say it would cost?? didnt bother to check then tough. Same as getting in tuk tuk and not setting a price.

Is it a scam - yes, when you have a job interview and discuss your salary, do you honestly say what you think you are worth to the company, or the absolute MAX you think they will pay.

And besides - they never complained about the food, seafood is expensive and if it was decent there is a seafood restaurant here in Phuket I go to that has prices that match this. Better location than BKK i suspect, but it is not WAY over the top.

And if you get taken to place because your taxi driver suggests it - you get what you deserve.

There is a thing called the internet - do some research.

Not everyone is as smart and outspoken as you Graeme. Some consumers are really gormless and should be protected.

I myself am gormless.

But with luck, and the help of a protective government, I hope to acquire gorm someday.

Hey Papa,

I feel your pain and want you to know we have a gorm support group that meets weekly In BKK.

Can we provide gorm? Of course not. Gorm only comes to a special few who truly understated it.

We do, however, drink to excess and dance with pretty girls all night. Doesn't get us gorm,. but by 4 AM, none of us seem to give a rat's arse about it.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The moment you see a phrase like 'online outrage' you know it's probably a beat-up of a story."

You are over 50.

sorry but in the modern world online outrage means 1000's of people have commented that they find fault with the rest.

The "tip" looks more like GST than a tip and it is not high why are we even looking at this bill ?

You must have been born yesterday if you think this?

The bill already has 17% added which is for service (10%) and tax (7%). So unless the food menu also says there will be a mandatory 801BHT "tip" for anyone delivered to the restaurant by Somchai the taxi driver, they should be punished by authorities that permitted them to operate.

if the place is most frequented by tourist, the price was normal, including the tip. Most savvy tourist knows about the overpricing in those places.

Was their choice, nothing to be upset about.

if the place is most frequented by tourist, the price was normal, including the tip. Most savvy tourist knows about the overpricing in those places.

Was their choice, nothing to be upset about.

The price on the menu was 300 baht when the bill came it was 3000 baht. It was the per oz to per each scam.

You folks that are defending this restaurant are not judging by what is really going on here. It is analogous to the jewelry store rip-offs. Taxi drivers are compensated to bring unsuspecting tourists to these places. There is a similar scam going on at another nearby seafood restaurant, known as Somboon Dee (at Phayathai BTS Station). The name is an obvious ploy to redirect unsuspecting tourists who are looking for Somboon Seafood (a reputable chain with an International reputation). The taxis / tuk-tuks assure the tourists that Somboon Dee is the place they are looking for. The real Somboon would charge about 50% of that bill for better quality food. I fell for the Somboon Dee scam (once) about 15 years ago, knew immediately that I was scammed, but they are still in business.

my god...so many restaurant defenders. Can you accept the fact that a very large amount of Thais are absolute scammers?

And even Thais agree: '' I tried to ask my friends to come to Bangkok for very long and they came expected a good trip but they have to faced this kind of thing in my 4 hours absent. You guys make Thailand looks bad. Regret to born here. Don't born here next life. I cursed you.''

Sure 8800 Bt is a lot to pay for a meal, but there were 4 people there and they ate a lot of seafood. The "tip" looks more like GST than a tip and it is not high why are we even looking at this bill ? it should be referred to the Authorities if it is excessive and ignored if not. This is a waste of time

Did you even read the thread before posting? It doesn't matter what the price is it's the principle that matters. They were deceived by the price. This deception is further corroborated by the 37 disgruntled customers who posted THIS IS A SCAM on Trip Advisor.

8800/32/4 = $68 per person

Definitely not a good deal, but a scam? Hardly.

It depends on the restaurant actually, if it was a posh place then these prices are normal.

Do you just read the headline and post your opinion? Dear lord. If I went to a place expecting to pay 500/ person and paid 2000/person and was deceived in some way I would be pissed off. How can you see this any other way. I think we should be talking about the farangness of foreigners in Thailand and not Thainess.

I know 40 to 60 baht places where I get five courses, cold water, smiling waitresses. They're usually Muslim or Burmese places, because I simply don't like Thai food (overcooked, over-spiced, too oily, MSG added, salt/sugar coated, etc).

But the required tip on the bill is the pits. That's half the reason I avoid touristy places in Thailand. If I tip, that's my choice.

When farang pay too-high prices and/or pay tacked-on tip, it reinforces Thai view of farang as stupid - like dumb oxen who do whatever they're told.

Hello farang: stand-up and assert what's right! If you see a tip added on a bill, ask to look at the menu (or the rate card at a hotel). Tell 'em: you pay the advertised rate. If you add a tip, that's your choice.

This is not the US where tips are required.

No sympathy, if you only have a limited budget and stupid enough not to check prices before you order then too bad. Next time go buy 10 baht Mumma cup from 7.

The prices on the menu were not the same as the prices on the bill. So you are wrong. I have no sympathy though because you didn't read the thread.

I know 40 to 60 baht places where I get five courses, cold water, smiling waitresses. They're usually Muslim or Burmese places, because I simply don't like Thai food (overcooked, over-spiced, too oily, MSG added, salt/sugar coated, etc).

But the required tip on the bill is the pits. That's half the reason I avoid touristy places in Thailand. If I tip, that's my choice.

When farang pay too-high prices and/or pay tacked-on tip, it reinforces Thai view of farang as stupid - like dumb oxen who do whatever they're told.

Hello farang: stand-up and assert what's right! If you see a tip added on a bill, ask to look at the menu (or the rate card at a hotel). Tell 'em: you pay the advertised rate. If you add a tip, that's your choice.

This is not the US where tips are required.

I know it's really fun to bash the US but the 800 baht tip was not the problem the 6000 baht overcharge was the problem.

Lol I just spent 43000thb for 3 people at Robuchon and it was well worth it. If you don't look at the prices or ask the price before you order you can't blame anyone but yourself.

That's incomparable. You are talking about a top restaurant where you are paying for high end products skillfully put together by top chefs!crazy.gif. Probably washed down with a glass or two of vino, I assume!! Also you would of been well aware of the cost beforehand & the menu would be priced accordingly, not deceptively

More information on this...

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-travel-agents-association-calls-for-action-against-sriayudhya-seafood-restaurant-scamming-tourists.html

Monday, May 18th, 2015 | Posted by Editor

Thai Travel Agents Association Calls for Action Against Sriayudhya Seafood Restaurant Scamming Tourists

sriayudhya-seafood-market.jpg

Sriayudhya Seafood Market, Bangkok

BANGKOK – Charoen Wangananont, President of the Thai Travel Agents Association want authorities to take decisive action against the Sriayudhya Seafood Market, in Bangkok that reportedly overcharged four Chinese tourists for a meal.

The Sriayudhya Seafood Market Restaurant charged them 8,840 baht for a meal, including 17% value-added tax and a “mandatory” 800-baht tip. The legal VAT is 7%.

975871-180x300.jpg

A image of the restaurant bill

A image of the restaurant bill and receipt has circulated widely on chat forums. It was posted by one of the four Chinese tourists who dined at the Sriayudhya seafood restaurant in the Ratchathewi area on the recommendation of their taxi driver.

The receipt shows the four diners were charged very high prices, which included 1,800 baht for fish (snapper), 1,750 baht for shrimp, and 1,600 baht for crab, with 17% VAT and an 800 baht service charge – for a total of 8,840 baht.

term.

Mr Boonyarit said the department had punished several seafood restaurants in tourist locations for such behaviours in the past, and for charging different prices for Thais and foreigners.

The restaurant could not be reached for comment despite several phone calls.

In travel ratings website TripAdvisor, many people gave poor ratings for this restaurant. Many of them wrote that they were ripped off and encouraged others not to go there.

So are the members that stated there was nothing wrong with the bill going to retract their statements, or perhaps they'll write to the TTAA to stop further action against the restaurant :rolleyes:

See how they make the 800bht tip mandatory, how much more Thainess can that be clap2.gif

I go to many eating establishments in LOS and quite a few high-end restaurants charge an additional service charge (10%) and VAT (7%). It's all there on the menu.

There's a lot of food on that bill and, divided by four, doesn't sound too dramatic to me.

Many similar places in London.

When I go out, I like to see the price I will pay not doing complicated mathematical calculations before I chose. I NEVER go to places that hide their prices. Before I get caned for being a Cheap Charlie, some of us are here on a UK state pension that has been frozen (in my case for 7 years.)

one post in all capitols - and replies to it - removed

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be
difficult to read

9. Please do not respond to insults with more insults but rather use the report button to report
inflammatory posts.

See how they make the 800bht tip mandatory, how much more Thainess can that be clap2.gif

I go to many eating establishments in LOS and quite a few high-end restaurants charge an additional service charge (10%) and VAT (7%). It's all there on the menu.

There's a lot of food on that bill and, divided by four, doesn't sound too dramatic to me.

Many similar places in London.

When I go out, I like to see the price I will pay not doing complicated mathematical calculations before I chose. I NEVER go to places that hide their prices. Before I get caned for being a Cheap Charlie, some of us are here on a UK state pension that has been frozen (in my case for 7 years.)

The prices were on the menu but they were not the same prices as on the bill.

"No sympathy, if you only have a limited budget and stupid enough not to check prices before you order then too bad. Next time go buy 10 baht Mumma cup from 7."

I am sorry that you are too busy to read the actual article or apparently don't care to read the actual posts in the thread. For the 100th time they looked at the menu. The prices were written but they were charged differently than what was written. They were also charged twice for tip and fees like towels.

The article isn't about high priced rest. It is about a scam that happens at this place and many others like it. When you order something and they tell you 300 baht and then charge you 3k, then you have a right to complain.

Besides the actual tourists aren't the ones complaining. The local Thais are the ones that send the outrage over this.

Please Read the Article and At least a few posts before commenting.

Edited by zeichen

No sympathy, if you only have a limited budget and stupid enough not to check prices before you order then too bad. Next time go buy 10 baht Mumma cup from 7.

I do not like to be suspicious about everything all the time.

I like to trust people.

Maybe I am asking too much?

"I go to many eating establishments in LOS and quite a few high-end restaurants charge an additional service charge (10%) and VAT (7%). It's all there on the menu."

Another poster who didn't read the article or look carefully at the menu.

WAKE UP, they were charged 17% for VAT and service and then at the bottom another 800 baht tip, so they paid a tip twice.

But that isn't the only thing, they were quoted 300 baht for their meal in the menu but instead were charged 300 baht per 100gms.

Could be me, but those numbers don't add up to 8,800, even when the tip is included.

I get 7,007 before tip of 800.

Oldest trick in the book, and been around since Jesus Christ was wearing short pants.......an error in additions, used by restaurants the world over. If discovered by the patron, an apology is all that's required, and if not....pay day!

I've always checked additions, and still do, even with computerized bills.

Could be me, but those numbers don't add up to 8,800, even when the tip is included.

I get 7,007 before tip of 800.

Oldest trick in the book, and been around since Jesus Christ was wearing short pants.......an error in additions, used by restaurants the world over. If discovered by the patron, an apology is all that's required, and if not....pay day!

I've always checked additions, and still do, even with computerized bills.

There was no error in addition, this has been addressed many many times in this topic

The total of the items listed is 7,007 baht. No amount is stated for VAT as it appears to be hidden to avoid making it obvious what percentage is being used. However, anyone who does not add up the individual amounts on a restaurant or other bill is asking to get screwed in any country.