what could Thailand improve for the Foreigners living/visiting Thailand ?

wowfactor10

There are too many things people can list.

The only realistic one which i think would help many foreigners is having translation services available at most banks and government agency's

Example being, in Australia, when you go to any government agency or a bank or a hospital, they have translation services available at hand,

Just a phone call to connect and help is there.

I think language barriers creates more problems than anything else.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to fundamentally change information taught in schools and given to the general public. As Thaivisa members know there is not one single Farang who is not an expert in everything nor know the solutions to all problems. Therefore by telling the Thai populace that we are almost Demi-gods then they can give us the undying respect/hero worship that we all know Farangs here deserve.

Alternatively they could just leave things as they are as a Xenophobic paradise.

I think if they improved things for Thais they would improve for us. Starting with Laws that are enforced properly

Law enforcement and nothing else would raise the quality of life for everyone, not just foreigners.

The list would be so long....

From my part, I really would like some better chances for the foreigners that have set up here a family.

And as a tourist, I find specially offensive Bangkok, a city where you can find luxury hotels and shopping malls next to the most cruel form of poverty, the one that affects kids that can be find working on the streets everywhere in Bangkok. It is incredible that a country with such a big amount of incoming from 'us' from the tourism, do not do anything to stop and help them.

If they just take so much care about those kids cleaning cars on the streets as they do with my visa issues, that would be better.

The government should organize a basic health insurance program that foreigners can buy into that would cover preexisting conditions and require all resident foreigners to buy this basic program. Luxury private plans could be optional.

Any country do this?

If they did I'd be surprised.

Actually a number of countries include foreign residents in their national health care systems. Obviously, the specific details vary.

Stop corruption at all levels

Medical insurance plan that's affordable

Give farang the opportunity to own a limited property

Respect farang teachers and treat them as well (salary)

Give visa for longer time

Make Thai treat farang with the same respect as they want to be treated

wai2.gif

Learn how to disseminate information better like telling us if the Immigration office in Chiang Mai is moving. A 90 day reporting system on line that works and works with all browsers in English. A plastic credit card size card swiped at 7/11 with a small charge would be better with the employee handing me a confirmation slip.

I think if they improved things for Thais they would improve for us. Starting with Laws that are enforced properly

Yes, any government's priorities should be aimed at their own people first. Despite what the perpetual whiners go on about. life here for farang is already far more comfortable than it is for a lot of nationals. And most of those farang who seem so miserable here would probably be worse off if they stayed in the countries from which they fled.

No farang government spends a great deal of time worrying about accommodating foreigners. If anything their interest in foreigners is concerned with keeping them out unless they're bringing money and/or needed skills.

Maybe if farang governments worked on improving life back in Farang Utopia there wouldn't be so many unemployable, unqualified, economic refugees here.

Well you wrong...

In my country once foreigners are allowed in then over some years time they end up with the exact same rules and benefits as i have...

Some examples,insurance,passports,landowning,education,justice.social security all no difference.

Example a Thai lady would marry a guy from my country then she gets all these benefits just as if she was born in my country.Now that is not the same here if i marry a thai girl then still my rights are completely limited here in thailand..

So the difference is the behavior of governments in dealing with foreigners.

Not all governments are unfair/unfriendly towards foreigners like here in Thailand is the practice.

Yeah I married a Mexican hot tamole and brought her to Canada. She soon taught me what her rights were sadly.

The government should organize a basic health insurance program that foreigners can buy into that would cover preexisting conditions and require all resident foreigners to buy this basic program. Luxury private plans could be optional.

Any country do this?

If they did I'd be surprised.

Well the UK does. If you pay National Insurance you are entitled to use the National Health Sevice. In fact the UK let just about anyone use it for free! :-))

At the moment the monthly cost is £36 per month. 1800 baht

Edited by Chicken George

Yes, any government's priorities should be aimed at their own people first. Despite what the perpetual whiners go on about. life here for farang is already far more comfortable than it is for a lot of nationals. And most of those farang who seem so miserable here would probably be worse off if they stayed in the countries from which they fled.

No farang government spends a great deal of time worrying about accommodating foreigners. If anything their interest in foreigners is concerned with keeping them out unless they're bringing money and/or needed skills.

Maybe if farang governments worked on improving life back in Farang Utopia there wouldn't be so many unemployable, unqualified, economic refugees here.

Well you wrong...

In my country once foreigners are allowed in then over some years time they end up with the exact same rules and benefits as i have...

Some examples,insurance,passports,landowning,education,justice.social security all no difference.

Example a Thai lady would marry a guy from my country then she gets all these benefits just as if she was born in my country.Now that is not the same here if i marry a thai girl then still my rights are completely limited here in thailand..

Not all governments are unfair/unfriendly towards foreigners like here in Thailand is the practice.

But what you need to remember is they don't want us here as residents . They want tourists with loads of dough and if you happen to marry one their women then you stay under their terms. Not so easy to take your Thai wife and family to live in the UK anymore , or Australia.. Also you have to look why people want to liver here , Cheap , weather , unfussy women, beaches ect. If they were too generous with the visa regs the country would be full of the beads and sandals brigade

Edited by ExPratt

Stop viewing us as the Goose that lays the golden eggs.

regards Worgeordie

That's hardly going to stop when men continue to shell out significant amounts of cash so that women will pretend to enjoy their company.

Prostitution is not uniquely Thai.

Bit of a non-sequitur there, BB.

Could it be "very unique" (I hate hearing that phrase), or do you mean as in "you're unique, just like everyone else".

If you reverse it and say "Thailand is not uniquely Prostitution", does that make it a sequitur :)

How about having the elites (lower case) live on basic subsistence for a month so they know a bit more about the range of people they're representing and earning from?

For me personally, less noise (whistles, vehicles, sound offs with synthetic music), and of course simple one year visas for all that are not a nuisance to society.

Anything that can make the genuine "Thai smile" rather than a deferance smile, would be contagious, and better for all.

learn simple arithmetic or buy a cash register.

25 + 25 baht and the change from a 100 baht note ain't exactly rocket science, is it ?

if you turn your meter light on that means you can't pick and choose which fare you want to take and if you take the fare at least have the knowledge of where the customer wants to go. don't expect the customer to tell you which turn to take and how to get their and if you do, at least listen to what is being said to you ( in Thai, i might add ).

Edited by tigerfish

Law enforcement and nothing else would raise the quality of life for everyone, not just foreigners.

Where do you all stand on enforcing laws against prostitution? whistling.gif

They should enforce the laws that they have , Just shows how much this is a lawless country by the blatant nature of the Go Go and girly bars, But it is the same with most laws here

regards Worgeordie

That's hardly going to stop when men continue to shell out significant amounts of cash so that women will pretend to enjoy their company.

Prostitution? I thought he was talking about marriage....

Well you wrong...

Agree ... same in my homecountry and there is no dual prices or racist prices to foreigners. Foreigners - if residents - have free access to hospitals, schools, property and they are not always the guilty part if involved in a traffic accident.

The police dont shake them down either or try to fine them for something they didnt do.

Basicly they have all the same rights so I Wonder where Suradit69 come from ... Thailand maybe ... ?

My Thai massage lady asked me a similar question only today.

My Answer: Those <deleted>' dogs! Destroy 'em if they are not owned directly by someone, require all dogs to be tagged to their owners, require all owners to be fined large amounts of money if their dogs are roaming free. Mandate a maximum number of dogs per property - 2.

Fantastic improvement. She agreed with me, she likes to go walking in Australia where she now lives, but when she visits back home, she is too scared, because of the dogs!

And finally, enforce the laws. That's the bit which makes it all totally pie-in-the-sky.

regards Worgeordie

Prostitution? I thought he was talking about marriage....

Marriage is not uniquely Thai!

The prostitution laws are regularly enforced, particularly soliciting, but not to much effect. Places like soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and the main areas in Pattaya are all fairly tightly regulated and have to follow the law.