Discovery opens door for homemade morphine, painkillers

webfact

Discovery opens door for homemade morphine, painkillers
By ALICIA CHANG

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Scientists have figured out all the steps to make morphine and similar painkillers without using opium poppies, opening the door for home-brewed drugs and even wider abuse.

While no one has yet reported making morphine in the laboratory from scratch, some experts are calling for regulations to prevent garage tinkerers from making do-it-yourself morphine, which can be converted into heroin.

Society needs to "think this through now before it becomes a reality," said bioengineer John Dueber of the University of California, Berkeley, who led a team that discovered the final missing link of the process.

Poppy plants have been farmed for centuries for opium, from which morphine is derived. The controlled substance is often used before and after surgeries to relieve severe pain.

For the past decade, various groups of researchers have hacked the DNA of yeast to mimic poppies, in hopes of creating cheaper and less addictive pain relievers. So far, the yeast strains created can only perform the last steps of a long process that can lead to morphine and other narcotic drugs.

A team led by researchers at UC Berkeley discovered the missing piece — the first step in the process — and published the findings Monday in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.

The genetically engineered yeast was able to convert sugar to a chemical that's a precursor to morphine. While the researchers stopped short of producing the drug in the lab, their work lays the foundation for DIY narcotics without the need to grow poppies.

Experts said it's still extremely difficult for people to make homemade morphine because the process is inefficient. Even scientists are years away from lab-made morphine that's strong enough to treat pain.

With technology advancing, some point out that there could come a time when brewing morphine may be as simple as brewing beer.

In a commentary published in the journal Nature, a group of researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and University of Alberta in Canada called for restricting genetically modified yeast strains to licensed facilities so that they won't fall into the wrong hands. They also want current laws to be extended to make such yeast strains illegal to distribute.

Now is the time to act because "you don't want to be doing it afterward. You can't do it afterward," Kenneth Oye, lead author of the commentary and director of the MIT Program on Emerging Technologies, said in a telephone interview.

Others said more discussion is needed to determine what regulatory controls should be in place.

"While there are risks of not acting quickly enough on modifying regulations during early technical development, there are also risks of too hastily solving the wrong problems," Megan Palmer of the Center for International Security and Cooperation at Stanford University said in a statement.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-19

The non-indoctrinated part of my brain says, "hmm, interesting. If I had a choice between opiates or booze, I'd pick opiates." But that's just me. I don't have an addictive personality. I've been to many parties in my salad days, where drugs were freely on offer. I tried some. Some were good, and I had fun times. The next day, I'd go on with things, and never crave whatever substance I ingested the night before. Beer and Booze are not near the top of my fun drug list, even tho I've tried them numerous times. These are the sorts of things that the people making/enforcing the laws should have some knowledge of. They should know (preferably first-hand) the effects of various drugs - then they'd be better able to make judgments (and mete out penalties) for them.

The main problem with opiates is addicts not being able to get them or not knowing how much they are taking. If they were sold very cheaply and available everywhere in pharmaceutical doses, the world would be a better place.

Doctor in Thailand think that all non Thai people are drug addicts. If you go to hospital or doctors office you will receive little or no help if you are in great pain. Do not understand Thai medial people but if you are Thai with pain no problem!

I thought that Politicians world wide were already deep into psycoactive drugs? Do you mean to tell me they're not all drug takers? God forbid!!!!!

Drugs are not the problem, they never have been, only a very tiny percentage of the population use them, alcohol of course, is the major problem! Legalise the lot and let the pieces fall where they may! The loosers will die and the rest will clean it up! Like always! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifsad.pngwai.gif

First thing that comes to the Asian mind when a break-though in pallative care comes along is: "OMG Homemade Morphine!!! Painkillers! Abuse, abuse, abuse!!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

How about a re-think? A new way to manufacture pallative drugs that cuts out the 'poppy trade'. Maybe the abuse will decrease and the legitimate use can extend to a broader segment of the population.

Compassionate Thai Buddhist? They don't care much for the use of substances that allivate suffering for those who haven't made it as an arahant (most of us). They prefer people dying in agony, well, unless you're rich and connected..... Morphine supplies available for the rich and connected. Everyone else -- ibuprofen or para, until they make those illegal. Don't want any terminally ill addicts running around feeling too good before they die.

Actually, I think that it is the West's War on Drugs that influenced the Thais to get so strict about pain killers and other drugs. When I first got here, you could easily buy Valium over the counter and the had tincture of Opium in the drug stores and cough syrup with codeine. They have cracked down on all that stuff now.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This is a joke!

One can go to any supermarket anywhere in the world and if you know what to buy in the herb & spice department and fresh food department, and how to cobine .... you are whacked on strong drugs for quite a while - for less than $10.

All one has to do is study the history of wars.

Do they ban those items? No! Because they are too mainstream.

Easy to make make opiates without poppies.

Just research a bit.

Doctor in Thailand think that all non Thai people are drug addicts. If you go to hospital or doctors office you will receive little or no help if you are in great pain. Do not understand Thai medial people but if you are Thai with pain no problem!

Maybe its the doctor you see or where you live in Thailand. I get kidney stones from time to time and never had an issue with getting the hospital to give me something for the pain.

Actually, I think that it is the West's War on Drugs that influenced the Thais to get so strict about pain killers and other drugs. When I first got here, you could easily buy Valium over the counter and the had tincture of Opium in the drug stores and cough syrup with codeine. They have cracked down on all that stuff now.

I don't know that it has all that much to do with the West. Valium, tincture of opium and codeine in cough syrup were pretty much affordable to Westerners and relatively well-off Thais, so none of these were a problem. As the affluence of the Thai people and the burgeoning middle class developed, these drugs started getting used by larger numbers of people and were seen as a problem. They were subsequently controlled.

It wasn't that long ago that there was no legal drinking age in Thailand. I remember seeing some of my grade 9 students at a 7/11 one morning on the way to school drinking Baccarti Breezers. They told me it made school a lot more pleasant!

A few years later, there was an age limit on drinking, followed by restrictions on selling alcohol at gas stations, followed by restrictions of buying during the day.

And then there are Krathom leaves, which are related to the coffee plant and they don't even make on the illegal list in some of the other Asian countries.

Asians are very much into control and intoxicants cause a loss of control and that's culturally not a good thing.

The main problem with opiates is addicts not being able to get them or not knowing how much they are taking. If they were sold very cheaply and available everywhere in pharmaceutical doses, the world would be a better place.

The problems arise when they want more and more and the usage inhibits their ability to work for the money they need.

I don't know that it has all that much to do with the West. Valium, tincture of opium and codeine in cough syrup were pretty much affordable to Westerners and relatively well-off Thais, so none of these were a problem. As the affluence of the Thai people and the burgeoning middle class developed, these drugs started getting used by larger numbers of people and were seen as a problem. They were subsequently controlled.

It wasn't that long ago that there was no legal drinking age in Thailand. I remember seeing some of my grade 9 students at a 7/11 one morning on the way to school drinking Baccarti Breezers. They told me it made school a lot more pleasant!

A few years later, there was an age limit on drinking, followed by restrictions on selling alcohol at gas stations, followed by restrictions of buying during the day.

And then there are Krathom leaves, which are related to the coffee plant and they don't even make on the illegal list in some of the other Asian countries.

Asians are very much into control and intoxicants cause a loss of control and that's culturally not a good thing.

Asians in authority are very much into control, that's why people in pain are putty in a doctors hands.

Being in pain is a terrible thing, the doctor becomes God in such situations. with the patient begging for help.

Lack of pain control here is something I will never understand.

Sorry but you have a few things mixed up on when things where implemented and drinking age.

In 2008 they changed the legal drinking age from 18 to 20, prior to that dont know when it was set but it was 18. I know when I was coming to Thailand for work in the early 90's I worked with some young Thai guys 18-19 and they were out drinking with us. I asked them what the age was and they told me 18, so at least 1990 there was a legal drinking age.

They stopped selling at gas stations several years after the change in selling times was made. In 2005 they changed the selling times and this was due to students drinking.

Then I believe it was around 2010 maybe 2011 they changed that law to stop selling at gas stations. Also in 2008 when they changed the drinking age they also stopped all advertising

no more ash trays, banners etc that were all over the place.

In small towns you can still get pain killers without much control. I get kidney stones and the pharmacy I go to provides Tramadol without an prescription. Things are getting more strict in Thailand

not like in the old days you could get just about anything you want from a pharmacy.

....and, the quality of drugs would improve (less toxics and less fillers), .....and, kingpin dealers would be out of a job.

I have hay fever. I get it badly twice/year in Thailand: Oct and March. This is not a painkiller issue, but Actifed (anti-histamine) worked best for me. It was over-the-counter in Thailand, but since ya-ba makers were found to use it in their drug mix, it's only available via a hospital. Once a year, I go do an obligatory visit to a Thai doctor (they always seem to be young men, about 21, who know little). I have to explain to him what anti-histamines are. At least twice, the young guys ask if I'll become addicted to the anti-histamine. I say 'no' (I don't bother telling them it's not possible).

This is a joke!

One can go to any supermarket anywhere in the world and if you know what to buy in the herb & spice department and fresh food department, and how to cobine .... you are whacked on strong drugs for quite a while - for less than $10.

All one has to do is study the history of wars.

Do they ban those items? No! Because they are too mainstream.

Easy to make make opiates without poppies.

Just research a bit.

Would u care to provide one or two recipes?

Sorry but you have a few things mixed up on when things where implemented and drinking age.

In 2008 they changed the legal drinking age from 18 to 20, prior to that dont know when it was set but it was 18. I know when I was coming to Thailand for work in the early 90's I worked with some young Thai guys 18-19 and they were out drinking with us. I asked them what the age was and they told me 18, so at least 1990 there was a legal drinking age.

They stopped selling at gas stations several years after the change in selling times was made. In 2005 they changed the selling times and this was due to students drinking.

Then I believe it was around 2010 maybe 2011 they changed that law to stop selling at gas stations. Also in 2008 when they changed the drinking age they also stopped all advertising

no more ash trays, banners etc that were all over the place.

In small towns you can still get pain killers without much control. I get kidney stones and the pharmacy I go to provides Tramadol without an prescription. Things are getting more strict in Thailand

not like in the old days you could get just about anything you want from a pharmacy.

As I said, I don't know the dates when the laws were in effect, but I do know that I had family that were coming and was told by a bar owner in Silom that there was not a drinking age. I also remember the students from ISB frequenting a pub on Silom. There was a police presence at that time and there was no attempt to stop them going into the bars. They were also quite clearly under 18.

The Grade 9 students were buying alcohol in 7/11 in their school uniforms.

But when I first came to Thailand, it was a much poorer country and most young people didn't have money for alcohol. Drugs were pretty much out of their price range as well.