Pattaya Beach footpath washing away

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach footpath washing away

n5holes1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Repeated waves of torrential flooding are eating away at the recently rebuilt Pattaya Beach promenade.

Numerous large holes have appeared in the brick footpath, which also has sunk in other places, all due to torrents of rushing water during successive rainstorms this year. Water flows from the east, chewing out large tracts of sand on the beach and, less easily seen, under the promenade rebuilt last year.

Residents, tourists and business owners are complaining Pattaya City Hall has taken no action on the problem, even though the holes pose serious safety hazards for pedestrians and bicyclists.

One of the holes in the worst-hit area has grown so large, it could hide 10 people.

Beach barriers have collapsed, allowing waves to crash on the sand. Beach vendors have resurfaced their own areas in order to set up their deckchairs.

Weerayuth Boonkaya, a speedboat captain, said that the holes appeared months ago and were caused by erosion from rainstorms. It is obviously dangerous for tourists walking by, especially at night, he said.

He urged the city to tackle the problem, as the problem will only get worse once rainy season sets in.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-beach-footpath-washing-away-47273#sthash.mv0PMdsp.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-05-22 footer_n.gif

And how much did the "upgrade" of the beach promenade cost.................whoever designed and built this monstrosity/sanctioned the construction/passed it off ought to hang their heads in shame.........unbelievable mis-management of public funds sad.png

And how much did the "upgrade" of the beach promenade cost.................whoever designed and built this monstrosity/sanctioned the construction/passed it off ought to hang their heads in shame.........unbelievable mis-management of public funds sad.png

its a footpath, for the plebs, town hall folks only see it out their tinted car windows

Pf only you were in charge. what a wonderful world it would be.

Lack of workmamship ? So the cheap Cambodians they used were not qualified ? What a surprise....

Dont blame the workers; blame the supervisors. Management is entirely responsible for all such problems as it is their job to ensure that the work is done properly.

They can repair it after the drainage system is completed. Got to keep beach road under permanent construction/repair as it has been to my knowledge for the past 30 years.

Edited by Keesters

They can repair it after the drainage system is completed. Got to keep beach road under permanent construction/repair as it has been to my knowledge for the past 30 years.

I,ve been coming here on vacation for 7 years, now 1 year permanent and what used to amuse me before now has the opposite effect............learning quickly about "thainess" my TGF is well educated and speaks/understands english well and when I explain to her the frustrations she just smiles and says "but its allways been like this" I just have to laugh and shake my head............go with the flow should be my motto wacko.png

Edited by petercool
slur comment edited out

One of the holes in the worst-hit area has grown so large, it could hide 10 people.

Shuuu...do say this too loud...the human traffickers will start hiding illegals there...

We have had some good exchanges by soe very knowledgeable engineers on this site - hope a couple wll comment "What construction method they would have used to battle Mother Nature" I grew up on the North Atlantic area of the US and have seen what even a small Nor'Easter can do to a beach. C'Mon, enlighten me, what should have been done first.

I'll take the advice with me, I am building my own 'beach' on the Mekong and wouldn't want it washing away after the first rain.whistling.gif

The problem is not the standard of construction of the beach road walkway, or the workmanship of those who constructed it. The problem occurs every time after heavy rain. The culprit here is that the rainwater drainage system is unable to cope with the heavy rain. Lack of work on the actual infrastructure of Pattaya is the end cause of this damage, and it will not be long before the sewerage infrastructure is suffering similar lack of capacity problems being unable to cope with the increased sewerage from the many thousands of condo's that have and are continuing to be constructed, new mansions under construction, and new hotels that are being built without any thought of increasing the capacity of the already overstretched sewage infrastructure. Unless all the infrastructure services, rainwater, sewage, electric & water supplies are address the situation in Pattaya will only get worse.

They have done the same thing in Bangsarea just south of Baan Amphoe, south of Jomtien, but they actually did it properly with deep piling and stuff. It has stood for more than 30 years and they just expanded it northwards and that looks just as sturdy as the old works. If the work is done properly there is no problems.

Pf only you were in charge. what a wonderful world it would be.

What a wonderful world this would be if your nasty, little tongue stopped trying to cut people.

We have had some good exchanges by soe very knowledgeable engineers on this site - hope a couple wll comment "What construction method they would have used to battle Mother Nature" I grew up on the North Atlantic area of the US and have seen what even a small Nor'Easter can do to a beach. C'Mon, enlighten me, what should have been done first.

I'll take the advice with me, I am building my own 'beach' on the Mekong and wouldn't want it washing away after the first rain.whistling.gif

Hi, sound great to me. I once built on a river flood plain and went and researched all the floods going back in history as far as possible.

Then I buit the first foor above the one in one hundred year floods level.

Every body laughed.

They had three one in one hundred year floods in a few months.

My house did not flood.

I would suggest you get the oldest record you can find and talk to tlhe old timers, because flood plains do flood.

Also sand migrates up to one hundred km, so I read somewhere, so those pesky commos on the other side may be building one hundred km away, but eventually could effect your area.

Flood plains do flood.

Invite me up when you finish as I love the mekong

How about constructing effective storm drainage for all the run off which, surprisingly, runs downhill to Beach Road.

While I agree the priority is renovating the drainage system before repairing the beach road, these holes are dangerous, and need immediate attention, e.g. blocking or sectioning them off from the general public. Just sticking a stick with a Thai flag in the hole, if not done before, would be inappropriate.