It´s the time for the flying ants/ clever ideas...

THAIPHUKET

You know what I am talking about, as soon as it is dark billions of these flying creatures will find and creep into all and any light spots.

What are you doing to keep them out of the house? can you?

Our windows, doors are of aluminium frames but not "fly-tight"

If you dont like these insects dont do what i did today. Cycle up Doi Suthip at 18:00 and come down in the dark. A new experience for me but the air was thick with them for the whole decent,11km or whatever it is from the Temple to close to the zoo. Probably millions and millions. Rat-a-tatting off my helmet, hitting my face, going into my ears. Wings drifting across the road like snow at one point when a pickup passed going up. The bike was covered in wings and dead insects. Got home and took my helmet off. Hundreds of wings in my hair. Insect paste where the helmet staps had been around my chin and neck. Took my shirt of wings and insects all over my chest. Dead and alive. Had shower and they insect debris blocked the drain.

Pretty cool as it was new experience but actually i dont need to experience it again. It would have been too much if i wasnt wearing my yellow lensed sunglasses.

If you dont like these insects dont do what i did today. Cycle up Doi Suthip at 18:00 and come down in the dark. A new experience for me but the air was thick with them for the whole decent,11km or whatever it is from the Temple to close to the zoo. Probably millions and millions. Rat-a-tatting off my helmet, hitting my face, going into my ears. Wings drifting across the road like snow at one point when a pickup passed going up. The bike was covered in wings and dead insects. Got home and took my helmet off. Hundreds of wings in my hair. Insect paste where the helmet staps had been around my chin and neck. Took my shirt of wings and insects all over my chest. Dead and alive. Had shower and they insect debris blocked the drain.

Pretty cool as it was new experience but actually i dont need to experience it again. It would have been too much if i wasnt wearing my yellow lensed sunglasses.

Wonderful post, thank you very much.

"Insect paste where the helmet staps had been around my chin and neck".

I experienced recently something similar in Laos but luckily was only strolling. I also learned to avoid washing them down drains.

There are different species that swarm depending on when and where you are, both from outside and even from inside one's house.

"Pretty cool as it was new experience but actually i dont need to experience it again."

Nice attitude, sir.

Best solution? Relax and sweep them up! They are one of nature's ways of letting you know you have lived another year!

Oh, and don't bike down steep hills naked!

Edited by Mapguy

Here an interesting read Bug Zappers are useless. BZ attract. If at all male mosquitoes which are utterly harmless. Mosquioes are the most deadly creature on earth. But only female mosquitoes. If they end up in BZ Athenian only by navigation error. Not blue or any other lights is their target but

http://insects.about.com/od/StingingBitingInsects/a/Do-Bug-Zappers-Kill-Mosquitoes.htm

Are they TERMITES? ?? I hope not. We spent a lot of.money to de-conteriminate the whole houses .

They are everywhere, esp after heavy rainfall like we had yesterday. They are harmless as far as I know but very bothersome! I just turn out my inside lights except for one, outside lights are never on.. We have to live with them whether we like it or not. ... we DO live in the LOS coffee1.gif

Edited by RakChan

Nice one! A bit of an anticlimax. And you didn't need an antidote. Groanfacepalm.gif

If your abode is not termite-tight (they get in everwhere!) you need to live in the dark for several hours (they usually start to fade away around 21:30 h.)

This is no fun if you want to read, or play Scrabble, so:-

Arrange one or several fairly big candles in large basin or bowl. Pour in some soapy water about 1 inch deep. When termites arrive, switch off all lights, and light your candles.

You may find the mass suicide more fascinating than the book, or trying to figure out a 7-letter word!

The semi annual hatch-out of the termites is a very interesting phenomenon. Last night I was in the San Pakoi neighborhood, where the air was suddenly thick with them. They are very attracted to flourescent lights, but not at all by the sodium vapor street lamps. The swarm always seems to occur near the beginning of the rainy season, and almost always at the same time of night...7:00 - 8:30. After that, they disappear as it they were never there, except for the fallen wings, which are everywhere. The geckos and bats go crazy on these nights.

The flying ants seem to come out at the same time. Do they have a symbiotic relationship? Both of these creatures are able to find the tiniest opening in a screen, or through any crack around a window or door.

After crossing the Narawat Bridge into the city, suddenly there were no termites or ants to be seen, but coming into Santhitam district, there was another swarm. One of them left a piece of itself in my eye, which caused an allergic reaction. Always keep your mouth firmly shut when riding in these conditions. It's an unnerving situation to have one of them halfway down your throat, still alive and struggling to escape.

Wonderful Thailand!

Turn off the inside lights nearest the points they are entering/will enter through, and turn on a nearby light outside, the closer the better. The flying termites will cluster around the outside light and not come inside. At that point a gauze or lace curtain is more than enough to keep them out. And the swarming only lasts an hour or so anyway. Act quickly immediately you see them and it's not really a problem.

Edited by writeshack

Aftermath of The Swarm:

This lovely Sunday morning I was at Fulanna Park, on Mae Rim Highway, watching the local red ants processing the remains of the flying ants and termites. A work gang of six to eight is required to haul a full sized fat termite carcass to the nest. Wings are stripped off and taken separately. Group cohesion and cooperation is impressive to observe.

There was a still-living flying ant being slowly undone by a crew of six reds. All of the legs were secured and fully stretched out, while the crew leader chewed off the black's antennae and then the eyes. It was tough to watch, but I couldn't turn away. The black flyer was at the end of his cycle anyway. Do they feel pain and fear? Something tells me they do.

Fortunately these red (actually ginger) ants don't seem interested in human flesh, unlike the malignant fire ants of the American South. They will only sting if trapped in your clothing and want out. They regularly carry their own dead soldiers back to the nest as well.

All of you made my post Really worthwhile with your individual observations. I must admit that Frank James deserves a literature price for his microscopic short story about the cannibalism amongst ants. I think the story has a rather human touch, wouldn't you agree?

Meng Mao are termites. These beasties will eat your wooden house or door or window frames.

Meng Man are ants. Many Northern Thais harvest Meng Man. They are quite tasty as I have tried them (brought to the office by some colleagues).

post-21351-0-93824900-1432715391_thumb.j

Edited by toybits