Putin signs Russian law to shut 'undesirable' organizations

Lite Beer

Putin signs Russian law to shut 'undesirable' organizations

MOSCOW (AP) — President Vladimir Putin signed a bill into law Saturday giving prosecutors the power to declare foreign and international organizations "undesirable" in Russia and shut them down.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have condemned the measure as part of an "ongoing draconian crackdown which is squeezing the life out of civil society."

The law is part of a Kremlin campaign to stifle dissent that intensified after Putin began his third term in 2012. His return to the presidency had been accompanied by mass street protests that Putin accused the United States of fomenting. Russian suspicions of Western intentions have been further heightened because of tensions over Russia's role in the conflict in Ukraine.

The new Russian law allows prosecutors to declare an organization undesirable if it presents a threat to Russia's constitutional order, its defenses or its security.

Laws passed in recent years already have led to increased pressure on Russian non-governmental organizations, particularly those that receive foreign funding. Rights activists fear the new law could be used to extend the crackdown to Russian branches of international groups and the Russian activists who work with them.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-24

This is not so subtle. It is entirely wrong for a government to set up and arbitrarily control people. The people are supposed to own and control the government. There has been no hope for the Russian people for my entire life.

Maybe he's trying to avoid the same situation that is happening in Israel now and for the last 10 years..

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS Movement) is a global campaign attempting to increase economic and political pressure on Israel to comply with the stated goals of the movement: the end of Israeli occupations and colonization of Palestinian land, full equality for Arab- Palestinian citizens of Israel, and respect for the right of return of Palestinians refugees,,,

Theses organization are being funded by Qatar and other interested parties from Europe and main aim to cause havoc and troubles to every day life both in government level and commerce levels, Putin can see this happening in Russia

and is trying to prevent the very same from happening there...

IMHO, he must then, surely, start with his own.

I s'pose he'll ease up a bit when beginning his fourth term; it must be a very frightening time for him, imagine not being in charge of Russia!

I expect the underground opposition will hunt him down and execute him in the end, discover he was one of the twenty richest individuals in the world and then the real trouble will start with factions vying for control.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone but It does make me consider in the case of Russia, if it wasn't better governed under a communist system.

Edited by piersbeckett

Any comparison between last 10 years in Russia and Israel is a folly.

Russia is financed by selling off its resources. Israel has none, except its people.

Russia is using its resources to support a thieving elite on a scale unprecedented in history. With a definite shameful help of the West.

Israel is using all it can generate from within and without to survive and to further develop. Against the shameful sabotage of most West and all East.

Israel is thriving. Russia is rotting.

Israel is free, open, transparent and ready to give land for peace ( I personally disapprove exchanging tangible assets for worthless paper.)

Russia is free to steal, open to run away with stolen goods, clearly transparent in who is next to kill and ready to grab any land tearing up all papers.

Israel can never become an autocracy thanks to the nature of Jews. Russia will never be a democracy thanks to the nature of Russians.

I respectfully repeat: any comparison between the two is a folly.

The new law is one more turn in tightening the nuts and bolts.

What could be more brazen than to invent the need for a war and sell it to the public through flat out lies in public media. All this at the cost of billions that should have been spent more productively elsewhere and a complete destabalization of the region that will last for god knows how long. So what happened to the brazen liars that perpetrated this? It's not hard to build a case that Putin is a d$&k. Though in comparison to Bush he pales.

Why are so many of you worried about a country that you do not live in, never visited or have any plans to visit?

He is doing what he thinks is best, other countries do whatever they think is best.

Bottom line is none of you are affected in any way what so ever.

Why are so many of you worried about a country that you do not live in, never visited or have any plans to visit?

He is doing what he thinks is best, other countries do whatever they think is best.

How do you know there are no Ukrainians on this forum???

I'm headed to Kiev in 3 weeks. Would have loved to visited the Crimea, but can not now.

Boko Haram's actions probably don't affect anybody on this forum either. Doesn't mean we condone what they are doing. And doesn't mean we can't express our displeasure at their horrible actions. Just like Putin's.

There is nothing unusual about countries moving to control subversive organizations. Problem is accurately labeling subversive organizations. Watching Russians around Pattaya suggests things are going pretty well for the Russians. We have two Russian families living across the street and they are prospering whereas their parents had a tough time of it.

How do you know there are no Ukrainians on this forum???

Perfect example of why Russia makes this laws.

I'm headed to Kiev in 3 weeks. Would have loved to visited the Crimea, but can not now.

Boko Haram's actions probably don't affect anybody on this forum either. Doesn't mean we condone what they are doing. And doesn't mean we can't express our displeasure at their horrible actions. Just like Putin's.

What does Ukraine have to do with Russia ?

Boko Haram's actions probably don't affect anybody on this forum either.

We have two Russian families living across the street and they are prospering whereas their parents had a tough time of it.

You must be an optimist, konying. I can see how it may and will affect all of us.

Pakboong, you may or may not know these Russian neighbors of yours well enough, but what can you possibly know about their parents?

Oh yes, lovetotravel, they (BH, ISIS and many others) do affect us all. So far to different degree and in a limited way. But just you wait!...

Boko Haram's actions probably don't affect anybody on this forum either.

We have two Russian families living across the street and they are prospering whereas their parents had a tough time of it.

You must be an optimist, konying. I can see how it may and will affect all of us.

Pakboong, you may or may not know these Russian neighbors of yours well enough, but what can you possibly know about their parents?

Oh yes, lovetotravel, they (BH, ISIS and many others) do affect us all. So far to different degree and in a limited way. But just you wait!...

How?

What does Ukraine have to do with Russia ?

Now you're trolling. With 2 Russian soldiers recently caught in Ukraine and the American's putting in soldiers for training, things are a bit tense. And as we all know, these problems are all about Putin.

Dear konying,

OK, I'll try to show how tightening nuts of Russians on Gov't bolts may and will affect all of us.

Proposition: Putin is trying to resurrect the Great Russian Empire. Externally - by land grabs. Internally - by reviving the old grip of the Gov't power over individuals.

The by-product of this policy is strengthening and modernization of arms and Military. Which transfers into arms race of or similar to Cold War.

Note: I do not mention 'nukes', Ukraine or Crimea.

Of course he is doing what is right from his point. So do we in the West.

Net result may and will affect all of us. At least financially.

Edited by ABCer

Dear konying,

OK, I'll try to show how tightening nuts of Russians on Gov't bolts may and will affect all of us.

Proposition: Putin is trying to resurrect the Great Russian Empire. Externally - by land grabs. Internally - by reviving the old grip of the Gov't power over individuals.

The by-product of this policy is strengthening and modernization of arms and Military. Which transfers into arms race of or similar to Cold War.

Note: I do not mention 'nukes', Ukraine or Crimea.

Of course he is doing what is right from his point. So do we in the West.

Net result may and will affect all of us. At least financially.

Correct if i am wrong, but who was it that started to threaten Russian security? and who introduced sanctions? because allegedly blah blah, though plenty of evidence points otherwise.

Now back to internal, unless you own some company which operates in Russia, you really have nothing to worry about.