Thai police seeking graffiti artists who defaced court signposts

webfact

POLITICS
Police seeking graffiti artists who defaced court signposts

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- POLICE are viewing footage from security cameras installed at the Criminal Court on Ratchadapisek Road to identify people responsible for graffiti painted on signposts outside the court.

In a crime that may constitute contempt of court, graffiti artists sprayed black paint on the wall outside the court and at a bus-stop near the entrance to the court. The graffiti was spotted by security guards who inspected the premises at dawn yesterday.

Borwornsak Thaweewat, spokesman of the Office of the Courts of Justice, said he filed a complaint at Phaholyothin police station. Police were yet to decide if the graffiti was politically motivated or not and said they would have to check the security camera footage, he said.

The court will also have to consider if the action constitutes contempt of court, Borwornsak said.

A source said the graffiti looked like the letter "A" in the Roman alphabet with a circle around the letter, similar to the anarchy symbol. It is also similar to the symbol used by Captain America in the film "Avengers: Age of Ultron", that was popular with Thai moviegoers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-seeking-graffiti-artists-who-defaced-court--30260848.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-25

I think the right word is "vandals" when they are just defacing something with spraypaint symbols etc.

"Graffiti artists" are recognised as skilled artists by many art experts, and some of the most impressive artwork of the twentieth century was graffiti art. A lot of graffiti art was crude and ugly of course, but there were some pieces that were mesmerizingly beautiful.

I think the right word is "vandals" when they are just defacing something with spraypaint symbols etc.

"Graffiti artists" are recognised as skilled artists by many art experts, and some of the most impressive artwork of the twentieth century was graffiti art. A lot of graffiti art was crude and ugly of course, but there were some pieces that were mesmerizingly beautiful.

Vandals or other common expressions might be appropriate but don't suit if the government wants to make a Hollywood production out of something.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I saw the headline and wanted to see the art that the graffiti artist arted. It must have been a very fancy letter A, and that's why the headlines correctly referred to this person as an Artist, rather than just someone tagging or spray painting a sign.

There's a lot of graffiti around Bangkok that I consider quite beautiful. A lot of blank fences and walls have been decorated. Sometimes the "tags" are not much. Maybe an artist still learning his medium. Others are quite elaborate and very well done. Clearly by someone who considers it real art. Less of it here in Nakhon Sawan. I suppose the talented ones all go to the big city.