UK Passport for my half thai son

And he doesn't need a British one to apply for a Thai one.

In fact, he should apply for both and then use his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand and his British one to enter and leave the UK.

He uses whichever passport is the easiest for him in terms of visas etc. for other countries.

As he is in Thailand, he applies for both there.

See Overseas British passport applications

• 3 weeks later...

ok I have a few more questions for anybody who can help me with regards to the application:

1. in regards to section 2 of the application form I will be using my sons Thai address where he has been staying since he was born which is the address on his tabien baan, but I am not named on the tabien baan which I will be submitting with the application. Would this be accepted as proof of address? If they need proof of me also living in Thailand I don't see how this is possible as I don't live their? If I use a uk address I would be lieing as my son doesn't live in the uk, but this only means I can submit proof of myself living at the uk address and not him. What have other people done about this? Does the person filling in the form have to show proof of address for himself? I assumed not but I have read contrary info.

2. I plan on getting my fiancés and sons Thai passports made on the day I land and then adding this information to section 3 of the british passport application form and submitting copies of the passports with the application, only dilemma I have is that on the countersignature bit of the form it says It should only been filled out after the rest of the form has been completed. would they get to know if I add these details after the countersignature part of the form has been filled in first. Should I wait until after I've submitted my sons british passport application to get their Thai passports made? I wanted to submit them with the application because I assume it would make his case for a British passport stronger. If I inform the person doing the countersignature that I plan on doing this, would that be ok? He knows already but would the HMPO get to know as the date of issue on the thai passports will be after the signature date of the person doing the countersignature.

You are over complicating the situation by continuing to link Thai and British passport criteria.

Your son does not need a Thai passport to qualify for a UK one.

Having a Thai passport has no bearing on your sons UK application.

Treat each application as separate and independent.

There is no need to mention a UK passport or application for a Thai one.

As for your sons address use his Thai one. You do not have to be on the tabian ban. For your entry use your UK one and / your sons address which is where you stay in Thailand.

These days it is quite common to split time between two adresses.

Edited by Jay Sata

Ok so i will not include it because at the time of me completing the application form for a uk passport my son wouldnt have had a thai passport but at the time of me submitting it, he would, just hope the HMPO cant find out he does have a thai passport or will once i get to bangkok

Ok so i will not include it because at the time of me completing the application form for a uk passport my son wouldnt have had a thai passport but at the time of me submitting it, he would, just hope the HMPO cant find out he does have a thai passport or will once i get to bangkok

A pending Thai passport has no influence or bearing on his UK passport application.

The two nations do not cross reference.

Try to keep things simple and separate the two applications in your mindset.

Good luck.

Just tell the truth.

Give your UK address plus Thai address.

No need for tabian bans as we dont use this system in the UK.

You spend time in the UK as I understand it and time in Thailand with your child.

Without knowing your circumstances I assume you work in the UK to fund your Thai family.

Where do you want the passport posted to?

Edited by Jay Sata

It can only be collected where submitted as far as i understand which is bangkok. Section 2 is about my son who has never been to the uk so it wouldnt make sense to put a uk address, but as far as ive read because im applying on behalf of him as hes a child i need to also provide proof i live at the address who im submitting the application on behalf of him which i dont understand how i can do....

It can only be collected where submitted as far as i understand which is bangkok. Section 2 is about my son who has never been to the uk so it wouldnt make sense to put a uk address, but as far as ive read because im applying on behalf of him as hes a child i need to also provide proof i live at the address who im submitting the application on behalf of him which i dont understand how i can do....

The easist way of providing proof of address in Thailand is a utility bill such as phone,water,internet or electricity.

Just go to the utility office and put them in your name. Needed as well for opening an international offshore banking account.

Just to correct myself I understand passports are no longer posted EMS in Thailand.

Edited by Jay Sata

jay, uk passports can only be collected from the trendy building in Bangkok where the application has to be submitted. I think I will just use my sons thai address as the application is for him and I don't think I will need to show proof of me living in Thailand as the HMPO should understand its an international application and im his british father and it would be impossible for me to provide proof of me living in Thailand when in reality I don't.

I only provided proof of my son's adress in Thailand (Tabien baan details) and the Liverpool overseas team requested proof of my adress in the UK...this ended up delaying my son's passport details by a couple of months ( took 6 months in the end)! Doesn't do any harm to submit some family photo's as part of the application too.. Liverpool requested these off me to..

After submitting our son's passport application i returned to the UK....I was then required to send the additional information to my wife in Khon Kaen who had to make a 2 day trip( with our child) to submit the information..

Cheers...

I only provided proof of my son's adress in Thailand (Tabien baan details) and the Liverpool overseas team requested proof of my adress in the UK...this ended up delaying my son's passport details by a couple of months ( took 6 months in the end)! Doesn't do any harm to submit some family photo's as part of the application too.. Liverpool requested these off me to..

After submitting our son's passport application i returned to the UK....I was then required to send the additional information to my wife in Khon Kaen who had to make a 2 day trip( with our child) to submit the information..

Cheers...

A friend of mine also living by co incidence in Khon Kaen had an easy ride and the passport was dealt with by a team in Hong Kong. They were sharp enough to discover he had lied on a passport renewal 25 years ago where he had lopped a couple of years of his age . However the passport was completed with no hassle.

I suspect you have complicated the issue by being in the UK for the application.

I have decided to use my sons thai address and also give my UK address in the additional details bit of the form and provide a few letters showing this just incase they ask me at a later date and waste time.

can i just ask about the counter signature if it is required or not. i am in a similar sort of situation but no where near complicated from the sounds of things and if i can get away without the countersignature it will make my life a whole lot easier. and if someone can point me where it shows that no counter signature is required for a child's first passport .

I have used a accountant who is a friend in the uk as my countersigniture. If asked he will say he has seen jay through skype which is a video calling program. Ive read a by some its not needed for international applications and by others it is. If availible get it done to be on the safe side.

i have just been speaking with her and because she works in a hospital she can get a doctor to do it for her which is a sigh of relief i think. then just write down on that we did not know any common wealth citizens too sign for us. just that and the little brats pictures is hopefully all she has to worry about.

with any luck because he has my surname she wont need any supporting evidence but might just get it done just incase.

Dont suppose the bkk service has a fast track passport service as im tight on time

No it doesnt. Ive read ppls applications have taken as little as 3 weeks and some as long as 6 months. It all depends on the documents submitted according to each application and if it satisfys the HMPO to issue the passport. Good luck im submitting mine next week and will keep this updated

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, i submitted my sons application at trendy yday. The lady going through my docs never looked at a single orignal document.

Took copys of:

British passport every page

Girlfriends id card and translation

Birth certificate for me uk long version

Sons birth cert plus translation

Girlfriends birth cert plus translation

Front page and 2 pages showing my gf and son from tabien baan. The lady didnt want pages showing the rest of her family she gave them back.

My driving licence and a letter showing my uk address.

Parents marriage cert and bio-data pages frm passports.

Just for confirmation, when applying for a new passport for a baby - you don't actually have to take the baby along with you, is that right???

I didn't for our son but that was at The Embassy not the new place, my neighbour says he didn't last month.

Thanks

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

I received this reply a few days ago via email from VFS in Bangkok, hope it helps:

Document that require for First Child Passport :

Child Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- 2 photograph, white or light grey background with countersign (size 3.5x4.5 cm)

- Non-British passport (If have) ( copy every page)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

Parents Documents :

- Birth Certificate

- Passport (bio-data page)

- Document showing Thai address

- Marriage Certificate(if have)

- Certificate of Change Name or Change surname (if have)

- ID card

What they don't list but also requested upon interview (based on my visit 2 weeks ago) are:

(1) Divorce Papers if previously married (translated and stamped)

(2) Color copies of every page of child's Thai passport

(3) Color copy of Child's ID Card (translated and stamped)

(4) Color copy of the Child's Birth Registration Certificate from the British Embassy (I guess if the brith was recorded by them)

They asked for my Thai wife's Birth Certificate and I said "not available" and moved on.

Said Passport would take 4-6 weeks but advised today, after 2 weeks that Passport ready to be picked up.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for my daughters' passport at Trendy building on 19 August, got a call today to say that her passport is ready for pick up.

Great stuff, handing in to being ready 12 days, I am very impressed.

As per Albion above make sure you make colour copies of 'every' page of your child's Thai passport. In fact colour is a word not to forget. If the original document is in colour then only a colour copy will be accepted. I got copies at 10 baht a copy on the ground floor, forgot the name of the place but as you walk into the building it is to the far right at the back, big company. I was also grabbed by a guy who refused to tell me how much until I pulled away and then said 20 baht, ok next! The UK passport office offer colour copies at 25 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: i finally went and collected my sons passport yday which took over 2 months from when i submitted the application.

I made 2 additional trips to bangkok to submit additional documents requested by the hmpo.

They asked to see documents from my sons great grandparents showing how they became british dating bk to the 1930s as they would not accept my father was british by descent even though i provided them with copies of his old cancelled passports dating bk to the 1960's.

They asked for a consent letter from my sons thai mother stating she gives permission for him to be issued with a uk passport

My mothers natrualisation cert.

Alot of hassle but worth it in the end.

• Like 1