Being Black in Thailand: We’re treated better than Africans, and boy do we hate it

webfact

Being Black in Thailand: We’re Treated Better Than Africans, and Boy Do We Hate It
Black expats in Thailand and Australia describe the guilt they feel living fairly privileged lives in comparison with the discrimination that African immigrants and Aborigines face.
BY: DIANA OZEMEBHOYA EROMOSELE

In all fairness, the Thai police officer was absolutely right for approaching the swing set and telling Stephanie Stew’s friend—a grown woman in her 30s—to get off the swing.

Even though Jane (for anonymity, we changed her name) was swinging next to her young daughter, the swing set was intended for young children, and the added weight of an adult could pose a safety risk.

But when the officer issued his request to Jane—a black woman he might have assumed was Ghanaian or Nigerian, living and working in Thailand—and she responded with her black American accent, he immediately switched gears and insisted that it wasn’t a problem.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” the Thai officer said. “You can stay.”

When he realized that she was a black American, Stew explained to The Root, the officer didn’t want to inconvenience Jane.

Stew—a 38-year-old black American who moved to Thailand last August with her husband and 3-year-old daughter—says that’s just one of the many examples of how African-American expats practically have the red carpet laid out for them in the Southeast Asian country and are treated like gold, especially when compared with the black African immigrants who live and work in Thailand and are treated like, well, less than gold, and at times like s--t.

“That’s not the first time,” Stew explained, “that someone has mistaken us for an African” and then dropped their attitude or condescension once they realized that Stew and her crew were, in fact, American. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/05/black_in_thailand_we_re_treated_better_than_africans_and_boy_do_we_hate.html

-- The Root 2015-05-26

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're Black and the first piece of ID you offer from your wallet or purse is "the race card" you're a racist. Treated well or treated not so well it is time to complain about it either way.

Try living life as best you can. Stress kills.

Jane probably was simply thrash with a sharp tongue. No surprise. After all, she did not mind damaging the swing with her BBA.

As to Stew's treatment "like gold" the key word is "especially" buddy. Specially when compared to Africans. Well, Thais are also treated like gold, especially when compared to stray dogs.

What a moronic posting!

This isn't really a black issue at all, it is just the basic existential guilt that any normal person feels when they remember they're disco-dancing on the same mudball that other people are dying of hunger on.

Granted theres the specific story aspect swings, Thailand etc., but I see this as a basic universal feeling that sometimes rears its head for most normal people. I know I feel it myself, quite often, and I'm not black or going on swings.

But when the officer issued his request to Jane—a black woman he might have assumed was Ghanaian or Nigerian, living and working in Thailand—and she responded with her black American accent, he immediately switched gears and insisted that it wasn’t a problem.

What a load of crap!!

A Thai patrol police officer able to recognize an American accent??

I think our American friend just wants a little attention!!

Well US citizens do seem to have an over-inflated sense of personal rights, coupled with a propensity to sue.

BTW not intended as Yank-bashing, just how much of the world sees you.

. Then keep Your Pie -Hole Shut, Then, if you re gonna Bash Be a Lil More Discreet

Well US citizens do seem to have an over-inflated sense of personal rights, coupled with a propensity to sue.

. Then keep Your Pie -Hole Shut, Then, if you re gonna Bash Be a Lil More Discreet

American by any chance??............................coffee1.gif

What a load of crap!!

My thoughts exactly. Since when did they become linguists?

How do they know the reason the officer left was because she was black American did he say so I think not. They assumed that. Again people and culture. The officer in my eyes probably didnot want confrontation,which many blacks from America are known for over even minor things. He probably walked away to avoid aggression and conflict.

Maybe he thought she was from Baltimore.

The black thing doesn't even come into it. Who in their right mind would want to go up against a falang woman anywhere in the world.cheesy.gif

There you go. A perfect example.

Instant karma gonna get ya.

Is that discreet?

What a load of crap!!

My thoughts exactly. Since when did they become linguists?

Before you can be a linguist first you need to learn how to spell the colour..........

What happened to the "Australian" part of the story?

The "blacks" not fortunate enough to hold an American ( or Australian) passport have been sold to Cambodia!!

We don't have blacks in Australia anyway, we only have sunburned Irishmen.

Hey boodoo?

What a load of crap!!---A Thai patrol police officer able to recognize an American accent??---JOC

Maybe she was wearing a T-shirt that said ....."I Can't breathe".........................coffee1.gif

There is a funny thing black people in the U.S. say ... white people's problems.

Meaning trivial stuff blown up when they have to deal with serious stuff.

Sorry, feeling "guilty" about being treated better than Africans in Thailand by a society well known for bizarre racial classifications ... these are white people's problems.

I don't even believe many black Americans are actually bothered by this. FAKE issue.

Edited by Jingthing

If you're Black and the first piece of ID you offer from your wallet or purse is "the race card" you're a racist. Treated well or treated not so well it is time to complain about it either way.

Try living life as best you can. Stress kills.

Except that in this world, it is OK to be racist as long as you are a minority.

The majority don't have all those groups specifically set up to call others racist.

> he might have assumed was Ghanaian or Nigerian, living and working in Thailand—and she

>responded with her black American accent, he immediately switched gears and insisted that it wasn’t a problem.

It's hard for me to believe that the cop could understand the difference in accents.

I get the point of the article, and overall it's an interesting difference in treatment to hear about. That said, it seems very silly to me that they are contrasting "black" vs. "African" to mean black = African-American, African = black African. That would be as silly as saying "white" vs. "European", where white = European-American, European = white European

When I lived in Japan, people from west Africa would often claim to be from the U.S. because it got them better treatment from Japanese people. Many folks in Japan (like many people in the world) think black American = rap, sports, total coolness. It was bizarre to me that Japanese people couldn't tell the difference in accent whatsoever when these folks from west Africa would claim to be born and raised in New York. If the Japanese folks couldn't hear the difference in accent, I can't imagine your average Thai cop patrolling the park can tell the difference in accents either. If they can't tell the difference in physical features, clothes, and mannerism between west Africans and African-Americans, I'd say the cops have about zero chance of getting the difference in accents.

Edited by timmyp

I get the impression the writer is young, extremely gullible and just looking for a fight. A bleeding heart. Sorry, but the whole premise of the story is very dubious indeed. How does she know African-American women hate it? Come on! If you were a black American woman popping into the Soi 5 supermarket at night, I think you would be grateful to be acknowledged as such and not one of the African street walkers who hang around there. If the writer is trying to establish some kind of sisterly comraderie with her African "cousins", she's in for a big surprise. She'll more likely get "F/off you're on my turf."

OP - if this is the biggest of problems you have, I envy you! Why is this news? What is it all about? What is the essence of this article? If black people are treated nice, they complain and if they are treated like s###, they complain as well - that's the essence? Or what else is the problem? I think what you wanna implicate is that well educated people, regardless of their skin color, are treated much nicer than uneducated lowlifes - is that what you wanted to say? If yes, then why include the skin color as a parameter and why complain???

"A Thai patrol police officer able to recognize an American accent??"

Yes.

You see, the Thai people are able to watch American movies from Hollywood now.

They're called "talkies"....

I highly doubt that a Thai cop can tell the difference, regardless of how many movies he has seen. Can you tell the difference between a Thai person from Isan and someone from Bangkok speaking standard Thai?

The difference in accents to you and me is perfectly clear, but not to someone who isn't at a very high level of English. Europeans with excellent English ask me all the time if I am from the U.K. because, they tell me, of my accent. I am American with a strong Chicago accent, but most Europeans I meet can't tell the difference, even though they've most certainly had extensive experience with all those talkies you mention.

She might want to adjust her language as well, calling someone Boy can be extremely offensive to some.

I had exactly the opposite problem in BKK when we got a new employee nicknamed "Boy". I just couldn't bring myself to address him by that name.

Since then, I have met several other Thai guys nicknamed "Boy", and I still can't bring myself to call them that.