Smart TV or not

Rob5060

Any opinions on advantages to a Smart TV

I am looking to buy a new TV but dont need streaming

Not sure any other real advantages

Just seen theres a subforum

Happy if Mods could transfer

Edited by Rob5060

I'm not sure you can buy a TV that's not "smart" anymore - but if you can find one, do it ;)

Unless you're spending big Baht, you're getting an interface and user experience that's bested by practically any Android box.

I'm not sure you can buy a TV that's not "smart" anymore - but if you can find one, do it wink.png

Unless you're spending big Baht, you're getting an interface and user experience that's bested by practically any Android box.

Is it possible to get an Android Box for use in Jomtien? Do you have any links for this service?

Wouldn't buy a smart TV... Cost is not worth it.

For me.. Buy a large screen LED / LCD and then just buy Apple TV for about 4k thb

Or android box if you prefer..

But as I have iPhone, I prefer Apple TV , as can then also use AirPlay to stream from my phone

And can also use VLC streamer to stream from my windows computer to my iPhone...

So super simple to what any movies on my hard drive wirelessly on to my TV

As IMHO has stated, you'll be lucky to find a non-smart TV and don't be surprised if you have to pay more for such a device.

My Samsung 3D Smart 1080p LED is over two years old but a darn good TV and was a mere £600 with five year guarantee from John Lewis [okay, not Thailand]. Never bothered with the 3D and my wife has used the smart aspect two or three times and given up.

If we need internet-based TV / streams / YouTube then it's over AirPlay to Apple TV from my iMac. The 1080p is more than well-equipped to deal with streaming. I also have a B&W A7 AirPlay speaker for occasional soundbar for our aural viewing though I use it more for music. An all-wireless setup and syncs beautifully.

I wouldn't write off a Smart TV even if you don't require the features. Due to their popularity, you're not really paying a premium for smart.

Edited by wooloomooloo

There are plenty of non-Smart TVs available on sale in all the department stores. I purchased one less than 6 months ago at Big C Extra. However, if you want a TV of 55" or above then you do have to buy the smart version.

The title of this thread first grabbed me as a politically correct attempt to naysay that the television set is (was?) sometimes referred to as the idiot box. smile.png

Smart TV is Samsung's branded, built-in capability that is very much like what a Roku box would provide. I shopped for a tv last year and learned about this stuff, hadn't been paying attention beforehand. I ended up skipping the Smart stuff, but did buy a Samsung.

Many boxes in Tukcom

I don't know what to expect with a box. Is it a expensive service to the US?

You can buy an android box on Lazada but if you go to Tukcom you can probably get a fully loaded box with Kodi on it. Kodi is 100% free and will allow you to watch pretty much any TV show that exists minutes after it airs on the states ( plus all previous seasons and episodes ) any movie made in the las 50 years. ( for current movies they are out at roughly the same time as the guys selling dvd's on the street get them) and live TV from around the world ( I had mine set up for 7000 TV stations but I cut that back to a more manageable 300 odd.

With any smart tv or android box your sbi,it's to stream TV shows movies and live TV will be subject to your internet connection. If you have a good one you're in TV paridise of you have a bad one you're in TV hell.

We have 32" Samsung which we bought about 5 years ago which is still running perfectly. It was OK in our Town House, but having built a detached house a larger TV was a possibility.

I said a 42 -48 inch non-smart TV would be OK...my wife said that we should buy a 55" Smart TV.

I found a bargain on Lazada, a 55" Smart Samsung TV, the latest model for, 27,000 baht, and haven't looked back.

I subscribed to iLikeHD, which I can watch on the computer, or on the 55" TV.

I also have BBC (video clip) news available free.

It also has a built in Digital Tuner, so by purchasing a digital aerial for 300 baht, we have all the Thai channels in glorious HD.

I wasn't sure that I would use the facilities available on the Smart TV but I'm glad now that we bought it. I'd say Buy the Smart TV and explore the posibilities.

Many boxes in Tukcom

I don't know what to expect with a box. Is it a expensive service to the US?

You can buy an android box on Lazada but if you go to Tukcom you can probably get a fully loaded box with Kodi on it. Kodi is 100% free and will allow you to watch pretty much any TV show that exists minutes after it airs on the states ( plus all previous seasons and episodes ) any movie made in the las 50 years. ( for current movies they are out at roughly the same time as the guys selling dvd's on the street get them) and live TV from around the world ( I had mine set up for 7000 TV stations but I cut that back to a more manageable 300 odd.

With any smart tv or android box your sbi,it's to stream TV shows movies and live TV will be subject to your internet connection. If you have a good one you're in TV paridise of you have a bad one you're in TV hell.

That's the answer I am looking for. 3BB is usually ok in Jomtien.