When does the wet come here in Isaan?

I'm in Chaiyaphum and getting jack of this 40 degrees everyday and 34 degrees 8.00pm at night. I can't seem to clarify if the wet is supposed to start after Songkrahn or September. Wife keeps saying next week. The forecasts here are never right. I'm using accuweather which seems to be some cruel play on words.

Edited by Kenny202

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know.

I am North of Khon Kaen and we've had quite a few storms here recently.

About 3 years ago when everywhere else in Isaan seemed to be experiencing a normal wet season, we hardly saw any rain.

The weather doesn't seem to follow any set rules.

Many times we get clouds, thunder and lightening, but the rain misses us.

Cannot help you, but keen to read other's responses. I didn't think the wet started for a while yet though - July / August I would have guessed, and end around October / November. But I expect someone with years of on the ground experience will chime in.

(I hear the tenant-farmers will shortly be planting rice on "our" land near Buriram, so they must expect rain fairly soon.)

We're planning to spend early March - late May out of Thailand when we retire, to avoid the worst of the heat and maintain residency back home. But it's late May now and still sounds pretty warm.

As to my own experience there are in fact 2 rainy-seasons here in Chaiyaphum at least. The first one is around april (songkhran= called the small rainy-season, and the other one, the big normal one, is coming here always in september and last some 1,5 month.... Much often consists of a daily shower, lasting round 1 hour. usually in the late afternoon/early evening......

But april may june and july can be dry from year to year, and you cant trust the rain is coming really...

Glegolo

The El Nino effect has brought severe [damaging] thunderstorms all over the region and will likely mean a far drier wet season than normal. Not good for Isaan but could see price of rice increase as Vietnam and India also facing lower rainfall.

I've heard that "wet" in Isaan usually comes right after ---------> the ATM withdrawal.....

Yes, I can see that from your avatar.

You got that part wrong friend....but good dig all the same.....

I have lived in Khon Kaen now for just on 6yrs over the last 2 yrs the weather patterns have changed, normally the wet season starts early to mid June but over the last 2 yrs seems to have changed, we do not get the rain like before Thunder/Lightning but no rain and the temperatures have positively risen with out a doubt. Early mornings 6am -7am 34c afternoons 39-42c very offten.

Getting unbearable up here now.

Maybe this might be a bit of a guide. http://isan.sawadee.com/weather.html

Part of what is written in that link is crap, written probably by an foreigner nothing else... Best time to visit Isaan is April.... Sure if you stay way up in the mountains that may be true... But Isaan is mostly a plain, just flat, and there is so hot in april so one better stay away as an tourist.

For me and Chaiyaphum, I can recommend people to come here in december and january, THAN it is a much nicer weather daytime, and quite cool evenings and nights. It is so cool so a visit to the swimmingpool is not even fun, that is how cold the water is..

Glegolo

Yes that's very frustrating the build up of black clouds every day and then nothing. The storms here are very local

Kenny as you can see you have to be lucky to catch the rain.

post-237730-0-27950700-1432780562_thumb.

Cannot help you, but keen to read other's responses. I didn't think the wet started for a while yet though - July / August I would have guessed, and end around October / November. But I expect someone with years of on the ground experience will chime in.

(I hear the tenant-farmers will shortly be planting rice on "our" land near Buriram, so they must expect rain fairly soon.)

We're planning to spend early March - late May out of Thailand when we retire, to avoid the worst of the heat and maintain residency back home. But it's late May now and still sounds pretty warm.

they're planting rice in our area now and someone local told us its a sure sign the rains coming soon

Maybe this might be a bit of a guide. http://isan.sawadee.com/weather.html

Part of what is written in that link is crap, written probably by an foreigner nothing else... Best time to visit Isaan is April.... Sure if you stay way up in the mountains that may be true... But Isaan is mostly a plain, just flat, and there is so hot in april so one better stay away as an tourist.

For me and Chaiyaphum, I can recommend people to come here in december and january, THAN it is a much nicer weather daytime, and quite cool evenings and nights. It is so cool so a visit to the swimmingpool is not even fun, that is how cold the water is..

Glegolo

December January not only can but cold here. Days glorious

End of this Month is the rainy season but remember we have a strong El-Nino this year. Last year El-Nino kicked off but was weak it did however have an effect there wasn't as much rain,here in Isaan anyway, as one would normally expect, this year, according to the Australian weather people, its effects will be strongly felt, see India with temperatures of 47 degrees C, so i don't think planting anything which needs a lot of water is a good idea. I know how you feel concerning the heat, i have my air-con on even during the cold season.

The forecasts here are never right. I'm using accuweather which seems to be some cruel play on words.

Agree with you about accuweather and their crap forecasts. Your observation about a "cruel play on words" is spot on.

And the heat is getting to me too, but I'd rather be here, than seeing the relentless grey of the UK skies.

Edited by sean in udon

they're planting rice in our area now and someone local told us its a sure sign the rains coming soon

They do now (western part of Khon Kaen province).

Lets hope they have the right foreshadowing.

Here everyday can be different.

Last week some short rainstorms.

Then other days baking hot.

Yesterday some cool wind, no rain.

Just hope the best.

dont hold your breath and dont ask the thai's they thing they know only because old old people know 2015 is not the same as 1915

i have been living on the 215 half way between roiet -surin for 10 years and maybe aug

I am in Petchabun,it has been much hotter for much longer this year,also less rain,last year in march to mid april we had thunderstorms nearly every day,and the wet season generally begins around the end of may,tails off a bit toward the end of june and come's back mid july,this depends on where the monsoon trough sits,usually in this period in moves further north,the comes back over Thailand again,august and september are the wettest months,but like several other posters have said a strong el nino this year could see a quite dramatic decrease in rainfall.

There is an El Nino building up in the Pacific which is following the same trend as the 1997/98 one (the worst one on record to date). In El Nino years you will find that there will be less rain and that the rain will be unevenly spread. Certain areas in Esaan may get plenty rain while others are bone dry. Expect food prices to increase as there will be less water available for irrigation, expect protest in BKK ext year by rice, palm oil and rubber farmers thats going bankrupt due to poor harvest and low commodity prices (these commodities have huge stockpiles thats suppressing prices). Section 44 will be working over time soon.

I live in Kalasin ... usually the rainy season starts about mid May.. then tapers off a bit and then another big hit late August & September and then ends quite abruptly mid October.. this year we have had a few big storms pass through with some good rain.. but often what looks like a storm coming passes by.. as someone else mentioned the storm cells are very localized.., we had a good rainfall the day before yesterday.. very welcome.. has cooled things down a bit.. only 34C at the moment...(noon).. down to 30C last night.. must get the neighbors to fire off some rockets... wink.png

I live in Chaiyaphum too & one thing that I've heard is the main reason that Chaiyaphum s such a poor province is because the weather is so unpredictable here, I can testify to the truth of this having watched my wife, (& many others) plant 3 rice crops in the last 3 years & only successfully cropped one of them. The first one drowned, the second one was good & the third one this year died through lack of water...

She's given up rice & is growing Manioc now, also like many others so no doubt the price will drop dramatically come harvest time assuming it makes it that far...

Its very hard to make any money as an Isaan peasant farmer, especially in Chaiyaphum province....

In Ubon it's hot and sunny during the day and beautiful weather after sunset. Since May it's rained an hour or so a couple times a week, usually around 3-4am. Perfect weather for me, I'm loving it.

I live also in Khon Kaen I read every day the weather forecast on different weather websites,they write it will be raining and get thunderstorms, but my opinion it have also a lot of wind and that blow the clouds away to other parts of Thailand, where it gives more rain, i also find out in this ten years i life here, this is the most dry year till this far ,mostly at this time of the year it have to rain more, maybe it is for later, hope we not have to swim...you never know what will happend