An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials?

webfact

It must also send a copy of the explanation to an administrative oversight committee.

Laws do not mean anything, if you cannot enforce them. So just another paperwork exercise!

Yup.

The oversight committee will be deluged with paper, and it will require a backhander to get them to find your case and do anything about it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that's missing now is phone numbers to an "administrative oversight committee", with maybe (just maybe) an English-speaking person at the other end. Well, an email address would be fine too - they can use Google Translate.

I have to go to Immigration at Chang Wattana Government Center to get a new "Duplicate of Certificate of Residence" book next week. The last time I did this five years ago, even though there were signs all over saying "pay only the required fee" the ladies in this particular section didn't have one on their cubicle, and seemed to think they could still make demands from their visitors. I hope that they have been scared enough by the current administration that they are now toeing the line. Last time, they made my wife so angry that she refuses to go with me anymore. laugh.png

Edited by Maeklong

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

Take a photo of the person asking for the 500 baht and see what happens. A tape recorder would be even better. They must be getting nervous by now.

AHHH! That's why they put up new signs everywhere at CM IMMI: "No Photos!!!"

"This written notice must also explain why the office is refusing the application and detail how the applicant should revise the application to make it acceptable."

So will an English language version be available?

If it is in Thai only, let me know. I may be able to find someone to translate for you.

It must also send a copy of the explanation to an administrative oversight committee.

Laws do not mean anything, if you cannot enforce them. So just another paperwork exercise!

Yup.

The oversight committee will be deluged with paper, and it will require a backhander to get them to find your case and do anything about it.

Wow, so negative.

"This written notice must also explain why the office is refusing the application and detail how the applicant should revise the application to make it acceptable."

So will an English language version be available?

Why should it be? You're in Thailand and most applications are by Thais. If you don't understand the language of the country you are living in it's up to you to get a translation. Why should the government do it for you?

LOL dream on Thailand - Corruption runs in the blood here - you honestly think a pink manual will change that? you honestly think they wont make up excuses as to why they cant adhere to rules? or go on a mass strike, or slow the system down purposely until it collapses because they didnt have it on their terms, or yes they enforce the rules for a month and then forget about it a month later. the true Thai way!

Try getting safety on the roads sussed out first before trying to recreate the wheel - i think its more important!

They are both important. Do you really believe the government should tackle everything one at a time?

So to stop something they know is going on, and is called unofficial, they have to create a new law?

Amazing Thailand.

Contrast this action with what Thaksin said about tea money being an accepted way...way back when he was PM.

How can corruption not be a widespread cancer with such a PM?

It wasn't only Thaksin. If I remember correctly a spokesperson for the Junta stated that tea money is accepted as the Thai way. And continued by stating that it is only unacceptable when too much tea money is requested.

You are correct on one issue. How can it be removed from society when it is an acceptable practice from the top to the bottom

Are you sure it was the junta?

I remember clearly chalerm saying just that.

So how will the officials get back at this new ruling?

One officer manning the desks with a kilometer long queue while the other 7 relax out the back?

Thainess.

coffee1.gif

You aiming for 'the most negative poster' prize?

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

That certainly comes under the description of unofficial fees 100%.

I will believe this when I see it with my own pocket. We just paid the pooyai 2000 baht for two signature on land registration documents. If Gen Prayut can achieve this, then he will make a huge contribution to the future success of Thailand. I sincerely wish him well.

So to stop something they know is going on, and is called unofficial, they have to create a new law?

Amazing Thailand.

Contrast this action with what Thaksin said about tea money being an accepted way...way back when he was PM.

How can corruption not be a widespread cancer with such a PM?

I would love to see a link to an article which shows that Thaksin ever said that.You have any?

What I know is that Thaksin was as corrupt as could be, but he was very busy to weed out the corruption in the ministeries.

I can't post a link but, as I recall, he gave an interview To CNN (?) in which he stated along the lines that corruption was endemic in Thailand. He might have done himself some good by adding 'but my government id determined to tackle it' but he did not.

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

Not really the same situation. The article is talking about when officials create new requirements on the spot or ask for money to do there jobs e.g. Friend divides up his land, all assessments, approvals and documents etc already approved by local land office. On the day of collecton of his new deeds the head honcho (Only person who can validate the deeds) asks for 14 000 Baht per deed (Total 140 000 Baht) or no signature. His reason: ''Your land is worth 100 million. You can afford it.''

The story with your son sounds more like he was buying his license since none of my family or friends that has passed the test has ever had to pay to collect the card.

Here's my real example:

1. I bought a house and land in South Pattaya, 25 years ago, in the name of a Thai company, I was the 49% shareholder.

My lawyer, from Bkk sent one of his senior Thai staff to the Pattaya land office to do the transfer. My lawyer said to me in advance, 'extra fees my be requested because of farang name, let's wait and see'.

Senior land officer appeared and asked "who is representing XXX company", my lawyers reprenetative said "me".

Senior land officer specifically then mentioned that there was a farang name on the company documents. Then said "today is a public holiday for most government staff, but my staff have to work today. My staff are so sad about this so I'm going to ask all customers today to contribute to a special fund and this evening I will split the fund amongst my sad staff'. 30,000Baht please. (This was specific to the lawyer representing my company, nobody else.)

Thai lady doing land transactions sitting next to my lawyer said quietly 'That's just one of his stories, he has at least 200 more'.

2. Many years later my Thai son (typical Thai first name and typical western family name) experienced the same thing at the Chonburi land office when he bought land and house in a new village development, all in his own name. He tried to explain that he is a Thai citizen, born in Thailand. Land Titles officer OIC refused to listen and said 'farang name, extra 20,000Baht'.

3. Maybe 5 years later (13 years ago from now) my Thai son sold the same property. Again 'Ohh, farang name, 20,000Baht extra'. He paid the 20,000Baht because he wanted the transaction completed quickly and he realized it was not fair to ask the buyer (Thai name) to pay extra.

Bottom line, my Thai son is now an activist against corruption.

I'm sure they will...and just stop issuing residence certificates.

Then what do you do?

I hope this new law will have an impact on The Land Department where you cannot get anything done without "tea money"or "unofficial fees" being paid for nothing other than the final stamp of approval. They can literally hold you hostage from closing on a property that you are selling or buying. There have been a number of news paper articles written and all agree The Land Department is the most corrupt of all the government agencies,let's hope this new law has some influence on hoe The Land Department does business.

I'm sure they will...and just stop issuing residence certificates.

Then what do you do?

We all march from Chiang Mai to Government House in Bangkok.

As you gave me such a limit to my reply, RICE SCAM.

Can I squeeze in G2G?

You are right, the junta did stop the rice scheme.

Unfortunately they replaced it with a similar scheme for rubber farmers.

And are now thinking about another one for palm oil farmers.

Was it announced as a vote-buying populist policy?

Is it supposed to corner the world market and reap a fortune, guaranteed by the world's smartest businessman?

Was it budgeted, or some vague announcement that the agriculture bank will carry the debt until the profits arrive?

Have losses reached the billions of baht yet?

Just what are the similarities you allude to?

Well no, it wasn't announced a vote buying, because there were no elections and there will be none for any foreseeable future.

But only a few months ago there were reports that still not all farmers had been paid, so what exactly was stopped.

What is wrong with most people here on ThaiVisa? I really want to know.

Complain, complain and yes, lets complain some more.

Yesterday the people here complained about the corruption and that they don't want to pay any tea money.

Today the people here complain about the government trying to stop that same corruption they complained about yesterday.

What? Huh? Sorry? Excuse me?

Is everybody here so bitter after living on this earth for 70 years, that almost nobody can think positive (or even realistic actually) anymore?

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

How do you think blind people should get driver's licences?

What about the land office ? When I sold my condo had to pay a sum of money, not clear what I paid for but the important lady upstaIrs asked for an envelope with cash to speed up the process. Total cost me just under 100k , someone is earning good money at the land office !

During our wedding ceremony the civil servant walked away to get 500 bribe from a Vietnamese person who wanted some papers, then she came back and continued interrogating me. Then she said the papers from my embassy were not correct but another 300 could fix that.

Unbelievable

In my 8 years here,... to my surprise, I can't recall ever paying any "extras" for anything. Not even a driver's licence (which anyone with half a brain can get legally)

The only time I've been subjected to extra "fees" in this neck of the woods is at Laos and Cambodia immigration at the land borders.

So how does this new law affect the average expat?

Every foreigner in CM that wants to buy a vehicle, get a driving license, get a yellow book, ect.,

Has to buy a free certificate of residency from CM immigration for 500bht.