Three Thais arrested in connection to shooting of Australian

Thaivisa News

Surat Thani:- A 18-year-old vocational school student and two men have been arrested in connection to the shooting and injuring of a 64-year-old Australian man last week.

The student, whose name was withheld because he is 18 years old, admitted that he shot Edward Leslie Woodward in Mueang Surat Thani on May 21.

Police took the student to enact the alleged crime in front of the Nomhok shop on the Chon Kasem in Tambon Talad at 11:30 am Friday.

The student said he agreed to take the job of the gunman because he owed a debt of gratitude to the one who hired him.

The student of a well-known vocational school in Surat Thani told police that he was told only to kill a man who was driving a Toyota Vios with Surat Thani license plate of Koryor-6518.

He said he spotted the car and he opened fire at the driver immediately. When he was about to fire for the second time to finish off his target, he realized that his target is a foreigner. He was startled and sped off on his motorcycle.

The Australian was hit at his arms and was rushed to a hospital where he was saved.

The student said he turned himself to police after learning that an arrest warrant has been issued against him.

Surat Thani police chief Pol Maj Gen Apichart Boonsriroj said two other suspects have been arrested. They were identified as Wannachai Mengchuay, 48, and Jiradet Paksong, 43.

Apichart said Wannachai and Jiradet denied that they were involved with the murder attempt.

Apichart said the assassination attempt was motivated by jealousy and an affair. The provincial police chief did not elaborate.

A source from the provincial police office said the Australian man lives with his Thai girlfriend in Mueag Surat district but he also has long-term affair with a caddy girl, who is married to a Thai man. The Australian man is known to have been giving monthly allowance to the caddy, whom police will soon interrogate, the source added.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>A source from the provincial police office said the Australian man lives with his Thai girlfriend in Mueag Surat district but he also has long-term affair with a caddy girl, who is married to a Thai man. << Quote

If you are that stupid, you almost deserve to get injured!!

The only remaining question is, who ordered the hit? A jealous wife or a jealous husband??

What a messed up country!!

Where you can hire a 18 year old student to kill someone completely unknown to him.........>>He said he spotted the car and he opened fire at the driver immediately. When he was about to fire for the second time to finish off his target, he realized that his target is a foreigner.<<

To my fellow posters be careful, and stay safe out there. Too many lunatics here!!

Where you can hire a 18 year old student to kill someone completely unknown to him.........

[...]

No, the kid was not a professional assassin, he was pressured into doing it due to some sort of 'debt.' He was not hired.

Interesting, though, why he freaked out when he saw the guy was a farang.

Welll he asked for it if you ask me. An affair with a married girl , that means big trouble in Thailand.

That's big trouble anywhere and a man of his age should know better.

I knew better when I was 18

"debt of gratitude" straight out of the mafia rule book

Not that I give toss for this youngster's life that by all accounts are probably over

and to spend many years in jail.... so much for a debt of gratitude....

Where you can hire a 18 year old student to kill someone completely unknown to him.........

[...]

No, the kid was not a professional assassin, he was pressured into doing it due to some sort of 'debt.' He was not hired.

Interesting, though, why he freaked out when he saw the guy was a farang.

And who said there weren't any advantages to being a westerner in Thailand?

Name withheld because he's only 18?

No wonder there are so many instances of pampered mummies' man-boys.

At what age is he considered grown up?

Hes going to be let go with a telling off,

'don't go around shooting the farang you naughty boy'

Joke justice

Name withheld because he's only 18?

No wonder there are so many instances of pampered mummies' man-boys.

At what age is he considered grown up?

Hes going to be let go with a telling off,

'don't go around shooting the farang you naughty boy'

Joke justice

From a legal stand point here, you are considered an adult at 20 years old. Below that juvenile.

As for being grown up? That's a different matter altogether.

So, if the target had been a Thai, all would have been ok with the kid? Bizzare.

And, what is a caddy girl, if I may ask? I am guessing it has nothing to do with golf.

Edited by WhizBang

>>A source from the provincial police office said the Australian man lives with his Thai girlfriend in Mueag Surat district but he also has long-term affair with a caddy girl, who is married to a Thai man. << Quote

The only remaining question is, who ordered the hit? A jealous wife or a jealous husband??

Victim blaming! Infidelity is legal, contract killings are not.

agreed... interesting is how he freaked out when it came to realization for the kid that he was shooting a foreigner... probably there is still more heat to be caught when you snuff a foreigner than a local here... that's somewhat comforting to know !

...I'm completely aware that I'm extrapolating in the following, however it could appear that visibly being a foreigner (dare I say white skinned foreigner) saved the guy's life... however, just pure extrapolation !

Edited by dopenhagen

Victim blaming! Infidelity is legal, contract killings are not.

I am blaming the victim for the lack of common sense, not for his infidelity...........

If you know just a little about Thailand, you would know, that dating a woman, married to a Thai man is asking for trouble!!

If you have a Thai partner and are paying allowance to another lady, you are asking for trouble!!

Survival 101 Thailand.............

So, if the target had been a Thai, all would have been ok with the kid? Bizzare.

And, what is a caddy girl, if I may ask? I am guessing it has nothing to do with golf.

golf is the only time I've ever heard of a caddy girl.

Life is cheap in the wild west. And the Australian was idiot for poking a woman married to a Thai. He was lucking to escape and I bet his old fella won't be standing for a while after that encounter.

IMHO you are wrong on both accounts. If you are going to poke a married Thai woman, all that is necessary is to give her enough money so that the old man thinks it is a rational use of assets rather than an insult. This would normally equate to enough for him to get drunk daily, not that much really.

And as Churchill said “There is nothing as exhilarating as getting shot at and missed”. OK, not a total miss, but arms is a lot better than heart, lungs, or head. Being an Aussie, I'm sure a flannel bath from the right nurse will have him upright in no time.

Welll he asked for it if you ask me. An affair with a married girl , that means big trouble in Thailand.

That's big trouble anywhere and a man of his age should know better.

I knew better when I was 18

Point taken, but some never learn, some seem to think (at any age) that there not making grade unless they have something on the side.

And in many cases they would raise hell, give beatings etc., if they discovered their Thai wife was having some contact with another man.

Years back I took the new tenant of my house on Jomtien beach (a UK engineer and his UK wife, neither even been outside of the UK in their lives) to Big C on Pattaya Centre so the wife knew where to start to get pantry items etc.

We walked into one of the aisles and there's a farang probably 70 years old farang who is pawing the young female shop assistant who is trying to get away from him. He stops the farang I was with (my new tenant) and starts telling him all Thais girls are available and they all love it. My tenant's wife is right there listening to all of this.

Pawing farang also tells my tenant he scores with young shop girls at least twice a week. Also says that he always asks them if they have any younger sisters.

My tenants wife now quite upset and asked to go back to the house.

Within a few days I got a call asking to cancel the rental contract on my house because the UK couple were returning to the UK the next day.

Was the pawing farang in his own fantasy world? Who knows.

Could have something to do with tea?

I feel for the kid. God knows many of us did some crazy stuff when we were 18, but most of us were lucky enough to have some parental guidance, a few friends that looked out for us or something to gives us that wake up call before being easily led or going to far, like playing sport or the prospect of a career. We must remember that this kid is a victim too. He was obviously manipulated by an elder, though he carried out the crime and must be punished. I hope someone cares enough about him to try and help him find some happiness and contentment in his life at some point in the future.

I hope too that the Thai lady and her husband can repair their marriage after what sounds like they became victims of the proverbial Indecent Proposal, for those of you that have seen the film.

As for the Australian guy, I hope he makes a recovery and mentally grows from this to realise that although poor people are often easily bought to satisfies one's selfish desires, it is morally reprehensible and has the potential to cause a lot of pain and suffering.

Yes male caddies have a higher standing around here..........

Remember this one:

Thaksin: 'I am Yingluck's caddie'

Yeah, it will be his regular caddy from the local golf course. Many of us golfers get quite attached to our caddies, particularly if they do a good job.

I'm quite attached to my caddy, we even buy each other birthday and Christmas presents.

No chance of anything untowards happening though - she's got a face that only a mother could love. facepalm.gif

I hope too that the Thai lady and her husband can repair their marriage after what sounds like they became victims of the proverbial Indecent Proposal, for those of you that have seen the film.

As for the Australian guy, I hope he makes a recovery and mentally grows from this to realise that although poor people are often easily bought to satisfies one's selfish desires, it is morally reprehensible and has the potential to cause a lot of pain and suffering.

Do you actually live or spend a lot of time in Thailand?

Have you considered that this may have been what the female caddy wanted/proposed in the first place?

This is not just directed at you but sometimes I just have to shake my head at some of the sanctimonious bs that gets spouted on here especially when so few proven facts are reported in the first instance. coffee1.gif