Fined because of wrong colour car roof !

I hate driving at night, due to all the idiots with their fog lights on. Most probably don't even know they're on. And those those that do don't realize how much they blind other drivers. Probably just showing off their's is the model that has them bah.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if your driving a convertible? say a red Ferrari with a black roof and red bull number plates. I am thinking too much, time to go and drink beer, I will ask Noy at the beer bar , she will agree to anything I say if I keep buying her drinks . Remember no booze TM .

The fine was for being farang, not the roof.

Consider it farang tax.

Next.

And all the Thais that got stopped and fined on the same night, were their fines for being Thai, a Thai Tax ?

Correct.

You're starting to understand Thailand.

Congratulations.

coffee1.gif

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

I'll start off with a good one.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now who can do better than that?

How about they motorcycle driver who was fined for not wearing setbelts?

(True story)

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

Was there any fog on the night in question? If not then you deserved to be fined. If there was then they were wrong to fine you. They are called fog lights for a reason.

I'm not trying to be a barrack room lawyer but I believe it is illegal in the UK to have fog lights on, without the ordinary headlights. If you have ever driven behind someone with rear fog lights on in the rain (but no fog) it is quite dangerous as they can easily be confused with brake lights.

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How about they motorcycle driver who was fined for not wearing seatbelts?

Tax.

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

Was there any fog on the night in question? If not then you deserved to be fined. If there was then they were wrong to fine you. They are called fog lights for a reason.

I'm not trying to be a barrack room lawyer but I believe it is illegal in the UK to have fog lights on, without the ordinary headlights. If you have ever driven behind someone with rear fog lights on in the rain (but no fog) it is quite dangerous as they can easily be confused with brake lights.

Kind of like when Thais paint the headlight on their scooter red and drive towards you on your side of the road.

Luckily the nasal stick stops their braincell from falling out.

coffee1.gif

We were stopped at night on the highway from the Highway police in Patuab Kirikan. 3 am and no other cars around.
We drove on the right lane, because the asphalt surface on the left lane was broken from the heavy, overload trucks.
My thai brother in law brought them down from 400 Bht to 60 Bht for right lane driving.
We explained to them why we drove right and that there are huge, dangerous holes, but
they were not interested to putt up some risk signs, guess that night there are some motorcyclists crashed into the holes.
TiT.

Edited by tomacht8

They were not interested to putt up some risk signs,

You didn't see the leafy twigs?

Normaly placed 3 Meters before a trap.

Love them.

And the little CD as reflective security feature on the oxcarts when they sneaking around at night on the highway.

I was driving in the middle of the day from Korat to Khon Kaen, not a bad stretch of road (for the Oven).

I was waved through a checkpoint, only to be hastily stopped when he saw I was caucasian.

He was very polite... "you diving fast". "no I wasn't" "yes I saw you fast".

Truthfully repling "No I NEVER drive fast and I am a very good driver, I NEVER drive fast"

He just waved me though.

It really does p**s me off and just one more reason why I don't live in the Oven anymore.

Love them.

And the little CD as reflective security feature on the oxcarts when they sneaking around at night on the highway.

And normally placed in the middle of the driving lane, however the stationary object is beside the road, to make it all a bit more exiting.

Edited by Anthony5

Is this really reason to fine anybody?

The point is...you are a farang...you have plenty of money in the view of the police...therefore they will attempt to find any reason they can to extract money from you...happens all too often...

I have come to reluctantly accept this veiled extortion as the price for living in the Land of Police Smiles...

Love them.

And normally placed in the middle of the driving lane, however the stationary object is beside the road, to make it all a bit more exiting.

Not always.

bho1.jpg

What an endlessly entertaining country and people.

Living here is like watching 60 million people trying to eat spaghetti with a spoon, while racing each other to finish first.

My Thai Wife almost got Fined for having a dirty motorbike.

Lucky for us her sister was with her and she is a Lawyer.

My wife is in Thailand right now having some property changed to her name, and doing some work to the house

while out with friends the husband of our friend was polled over and charged with drunk driving, the cop demanded 10,000 bht to settle the case there and now, the friend said he only had 2,000 bhr, cop said OK. TIT

My wife told me, police get paid by the month, at the end of the month they are out on money and.........

I think this is a bit of what happened to the OP

I have had to twice change the blue book because of changing the roof color and bumper. Simple process takes a couple of hours but can't get fined.

I'd rather risk the massive, few hundred baht fine.

coffee1.gif

I too prefer to just pay a "fine" on the spot for minor infringements but in the case of an RTA that resulted in a death.

how does it all work if the vehicle was not legal (book does not match vehicle) ?

Meanwhile most of the rest of the world realises that it is far safer to drive with your lights on,than off,in some countrys this is mandatory,yet Thailand goes the other way,who would have thought it?

Agree and one of the rules I don't care about.

When I find its time to switch on the light I do.

Traffic law has not been reworked since 1979 !! (as far as I know).

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

I remember a few years ago on this site someone mentioned where to get a copy of some Traffic Laws and in that document it stated that it is illegal for a motorbike to pass between the kerb and a car driving in the innermost lane. I can't find any reference to that now anywhere.

I have had to twice change the blue book because of changing the roof color and bumper. Simple process takes a couple of hours but can't get fined.

I'd rather risk the massive, few hundred baht fine.

It's not the baht. It's the constant, low level nervousness of anticipating what's going to happen when I get pulled over. It's the inconvenience of sitting on the side of the road for the time it takes to write up the ticket (assuming they won't settle "on the spot", ie, a legal fine). It's hoping I'm not the 14th person he's got pulled over to write a ticket for, before I can get back on my way. It's then not having a driver's license to check into a hotel when I arrive, because I don't generally carry my passport. It's having to now carry my passport if I want get on a flight or check into a hotel- until I get the license back. It's the time it takes to get the license back from the cop shop. And it's the fact that it can all be repeated the very next time I go out again with faulty paperwork.

vs getting the paperwork done right. Once.

Edited by impulse