Tired of the Police Shakedowns while driving - Getting worse

Will the Army go buy numbered ticket books with a copy page and tell every cop that any fine must be written down and a copy given to the driver.

Break the rules be sent to the south of Thailand

Then put 100 army guys in regular cars and clothes for the weekend to "catch a thief"

Yeah dream world but if the army is really going to clean things up the corrupt cops need to be sent for a southern vacation !

I got stopped last week after going thru the toll booth and was given a pass!! :-)

Happened to me too; fortunately they didn't see my wife sitting in the back seat. I guess he couldn't string a few words in english together.

Just one more thing on the list that drove me away from Thailand 7 years ago. I've met a few here who also packed up and left for similar reasons. Targeted when driving, pushed and pulled around for vsias and even walking down the street near Asoke. What's next I wonder?

That said, one mn's meat.....

Just get a good car cam, they have speed displayed on the video too. The good ones like the one I have you can play back on your mobile phone wireless. That makes it quite easy to proof stuff.

Which one is it? brand and model please?

Blackvue, just google its pricy but the fact that you can easily download the images to your mobile phone or tablet and it has speed measured too makes it a great tool.

I drive a lot and never get pulled over, other than one in a blue moon for speeding,but then it is usually for a good reason!

Same drive those roads all the time and alone and think the last time I got pulled over was was for an expired "tax disc" years ago had the new one in the cubby but forgot to stick the new one on the window

Do you think it may be due to your vehicle license plate indicating you live a heck of a long way away from Bangkok and will likely pay the "fine" on the spot rather than have to deal with going to a police station?

Yes. An out of District plate (e.g. Surin when you are leaving Bangkok) definitely says "scam me!" As you say, who wants to waste time arguing at the cop shop for an hour at least, with a 6 hour drive still ahead of you. It has happened to us and it is the out of district plate that is the usual reason (according to wife) why we get stopped. Yes, at the toll booths on exiting BKK is common.

Every time we get stopped now wife has me holding my phone up to my face in movie mode so they see it while you are pulling over before you even get to the man. Then keep it running across the car at driver's profile & cops face while cop & driver are talking. Usually they back down & wave you on. Have the cell-phone-movie camera ready when approaching those particular toll gates.

The problem is that so many cops have borrowed money to buy a promotion that they cannot afford to pay the interest on the loan, let alone pay the loan back, on their basic wage. The debt on the promotion has got them between a rock and a hard place. Frequently the officer will be collecting money, most of which goes up-stream and all the front line boys will usually be on a quota per shift to collect. In many districts cops spend a big chunk of their time collecting money of one type or another. In our area, they apparently door knock to see if you are willing to pay for extra "drive-by security checks."

They need to sack 1/2 the cops who never do any work anyway and double the wages on the ones who stay. (Or something like that.)

Edited by The Deerhunter

I got pulled over twice in April for being in the outside lane,near Rayong,but as we were coming over a hill,how could they know,how long i was in that lane,i just played dumb,pretended i spoke no Thai,thet could not be bothered with the hassle,and let me go,but my freind got pulled up outside Bangkok ,same thing they told him he was speeding,he argued,and eventually they changed it to saying he had modified his car[lowered it,which he has],but he told them he had put bigger wheels on,he got away with it,but yes it is a total scam,and i thought the General was cracking down on this,seems not enough.

No ticket, no records, fine goes in cops pocket, no doubt, oops I guess I'm stating the obvious...sorry.

Edited by Linzz

After I read that article a while ago about two Police officers getting a 10,000 baht reward for catching a person that tried to bribe them, I have stopped paying any moneys at the shake downs, I just ask for directions to the police station.....

If it's mostly Thais being pulled over ... and your Thai wife is with you ... why do you think your'e being pulled over because you are a farang?

I'm not sure whom your post is referring to? If it was me as the OP, I never stated that I was pulled over because I was a Farang.

I specifically said they are pulling everyone over. I said he didn't write a ticket.....just shook us down for a payment. When did I state it had anything to do with me being a Farang?

They are shaking "EVERYONE" down in these pull overs after the toll booths.

Sometimes, the police have "check point stops" in other areas and they write tickets,,,,and they check for tax stamps, and they let you go if everything is ok. But these toll booth stops are usually shake downs......two different kinds of stops.

Just get a good car cam, they have speed displayed on the video too. The good ones like the one I have you can play back on your mobile phone wireless. That makes it quite easy to proof stuff.

I agree with fitting a dash cam, fix it on the screen in a really prominent position, clearly visible from the outside. The cams are available with various options that can show the speed, location, front and rear view as well as sound. Many cops have been made "Facebook famous" and most cops are aware of the potential pitfalls regarding tea money and no receipts to cars with cams.

Having the cam clearly visible will reduce the possibility of being stopped and also assist in the event of a collision. ฿2000 or so, well spent, mine is from Lazada who have many to choose from.

Edited by billphillips

Blackvue is a ridiculous dashcam without a screen, but maybe some do not understand why it is so important to have a screen on your dashcam ?

Maybe some don't understand that the BlackVue dash-cam connects to your phone via Wifi... there is no need for a screen.

From my perspective - I'd point out the dash-cam, but a smart Policeman might actually take me up on my offer to view the proof. It will likely show that I have exceed the city expressway speed limit which if I'm not mistaken is 80kmh. Although the actually speed limit is a little ambiguous as many believe the limit on Bangkok's express way is 120 kmh.

A friend was actually pulled over at 133kmh and fined for 13kmh over the limit which lead me to believe a 120kmh limit. However, the signs on the expressway always show 80 kmh... I'm a little unsure but never have issue driving at 120 kmh.

Blackvue is a ridiculous dashcam without a screen, but maybe some do not understand why it is so important to have a screen on your dashcam ?

cheesy.gif

The ignorant users on this site are funny. I had an el cheapo dash cam with a small screen (you could not see that much on it). Now I got a blackvue and i just download it to either my phone or tablet without problems. This makes sure you got a huge screen (many times better as an el cheapo dash cam).

This keeps the dash cam small because if you want one with a larger and better screen it will become big and in the way of things.

Anyway I don't have stock in blackvue so no problems.

You can actually watch it all live on your phone (lesser quality) or in high definition if you really download it.

The only bad thing is that it stores the data in pieces (also an advantage as you might have to download too much otherwise) but that makes looking things up a bit harder at times. However more advanced users might have found a workaround.

If it's mostly Thais being pulled over ... and your Thai wife is with you ... why do you think your'e being pulled over because you are a farang?

I'm not sure whom your post is referring to? If it was me as the OP, I never stated that I was pulled over because I was a Farang.

In your OP, you said "Unfortunately, I seem to always get pulled over and I'm convinced its because I'm a Farang..."

Perhaps that's what he was referring to.

If I have accidentally exceeded the speed limit, I usually don't, I reset the max speed on my GPS but don't always reset the distance ... if I were to be stopped I would say look here ... for the last xkms I haven't exceeded ykm/hr. However I haven't been pulled over in the last three years. Probably will next week now angry.gif

As I stated,,,,,,the stops that I am talking about are at toll booths and approx 20 cops are taking everyone,,,,,,,if they are all busy, you can get lucky and skate thru. I haven't been lucky.

My plates are Bangkok, and they have nothing to do with it. We try to argue and then just pay and go. The dash cam sounds like the ticket!!! Thanks.

Sorry to tell you these are official stings not the usual shake down, they usually have an obscure radar unit with a cop or 2 set up the road who calls in your car and plate info and they stop you. When they shake you down they seldom work as a group, mostly work in pairs or smaller groups often times even just one cop. If you wish to challenge it, take the ticket instead, they'll take your license and then you can drive [?] to the station and pick it up for a larger fine and license points but at least you can file your complaint there directly and or get a receipt for your fine. If not, just keep moving and don't complain as it's because you choose not to pursue it further that it happens more if it is illegit so nothing really to complain about.

It really is not that much different then it is in western countries except that it is far less expensive and far more convenient for all concerned. You have to pay to play, even your highest fine you claim is the equivalent of only $30 dollars, seriously? You're really not thinking about it very broadly, you all should be careful with so many complaints you may end up getting exactly what you;re complaining about, the same sort of system back here in western countries, which is a flipping nightmare of cost and hassle for a minor ticket. How many times per month could you get shaken down at that rate before you'd even come close to what one minor speeding ticket back here will cost you in time, fines and insurance increases? Nonsensical to even complain honestly. One of the few things I really enjoyed about Thailand was that driving freedom and at minimum less legal stress, I didn't even give it a second thought, back here it's constantly on my mind while driving, I'll take the alternative any day.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I think you should argue at least once to get through the process. I suspect it will help prevent it from happening again. Get the "arresting" police officer's name in print, on a ticket etc. register a complaint at the police station, etc. Public visibility sometimes helps quiet down shakedowns. Of course you might get stopped more often for complaining! But with enough witnesses in the car to attest to your speed, and of course the complete lack of any speeding video or radar evidence, you might get good results

I know that your blackvue can send the video by wifi to your tab, but how convenient it is, and of course it always work, we know that ios or android do not have bugs and you will never have problems to see your video on another device...

Very convenient.

I can have both my cams on the screen of my phone in seconds, to date it has been 100% reliable (using an android device).

The last time I got stopped for speeding at the toll booth the Thai lady with me argued with the policeman until he got a senior man to talk to us and she then argued with him about why they not stop the Easy Pass cars he just said they not do that because it would slow the traffic down to much but I think the real reason was that they then knew that they were Bangkok residents (and might prefer to go to the police station to pay the fine which would mean more paperwork for them) in the end he just said do not do it again and just waved me away I not pay anything

I have since got an Easy Pass

I know that your blackvue can send the video by wifi to your tab, but how convenient it is, and of course it always work, we know that ios or android do not have bugs and you will never have problems to see your video on another device...

Very convenient.

I can have both my cams on the screen of my phone in seconds, to date it has been 100% reliable (using an android device).

I think any device is sufficient: they see you have a device so proof of what happened on the road and they see that your conversation with them is being recorded. Make sure to mention the police officer's name.

I also have a Blackvue. It is great for front and back recording as well as voice recording. When I am stopped, I already have my license and paperwork in hand and ready. In the other hand, I have my phone in an obviously recording manner. I would tell him I'm doing so for his safety and mine. I also speak very clearly and respectfully, saying Yes Sir/ No Sir. As of yet, I have only been waved through. No fines, no searches, no BS. I do completely understand this can change the very next time I go through a checkpoint, but this has worked so far...more than a dozen time.

You guys in a different country?

Have riden 3000ks now with no rego plates, sped past cop cars, through multiple checkpoints with no probs, blitzed red lights in front of police

No tickets, not even given me a chance to give them tea money