Inbox by gmail.com Experience?

THAIPHUKET

Are you using it? Any good?

Does gmail.com now also all separate the outbox accordingly. That issue is the worst in Gmail. I don't need to see that all outgoing emails were sent by myself or "me" as it is shown in Gmail. Thousands of "Me" emails

I want to see " To Whom " I wrote last Year on day xxxx.

Has this issue been resolved by the new Inbox?

Lastly = does the new Inbox also retroactively sort old mails

I use Outlook as my client for gmail. I haven't been to the web site for a long time. Outlook is very sortable by clicking on each header at the top. I set gmail up of course as an imap account rather than a pop3 account and it works great through my ISP account and gmail. I could have several accounts with Outlook.

I haven't used the free Mozilla Thunderbird but others here may know if it would work. I like it when the email just comes to my desktop and I deal with it right there.

I use Outlook as my client for gmail. I haven't been to the web site for a long time. Outlook is very sortable by clicking on each header at the top. I set gmail up of course as an imap account rather than a pop3 account and it works great through my ISP account and gmail. I could have several accounts with Outlook.

I haven't used the free Mozilla Thunderbird but others here may know if it would work. I like it when the email just comes to my desktop and I deal with it right there.

Afaik, Inbox is an Android/iOS app and Outlook an app for Windows? Therefore both have their uses. I don't find much use for Inbox Vs Gmail app for Android but ymmv.

I don't find much use for Inbox Vs Gmail app for Android but ymmv.

Me too - will give it another try in 6 months though.

I don't find much use for Inbox Vs Gmail app for Android but ymmv.

Me too - will give it another try in 6 months though.

I too use Outlook in Windows 7.

For my Android (Lollipop) Mail, I use the native GMail app for GMail and I use Type Mail (formely known as Blue Mail) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue ) for Yahoo, MS Outlook (formerly Hotmail) and any other POP or IMAP accounts. Its functionality is a close(ish) match to Outlook.... as stated above YMMMV smile.png

Edited by VBF

I have lost a lot of emails looking conventionally as I would with outlook. But the search function seems to locate them if you get part of it with a key differentiating word right..

If I go to SENT MAIL in G mail it brings up all my outgoing mail by date and the first comumn is the name of the recipient.

If I want to look for everything to a certain recipient, I search in SENT MAIL.

Or did you mean something else?

I have lost a lot of emails looking conventionally as I would with outlook. But the search function seems to locate them if you get part of it with a key differentiating word right..

gmail hasn't let me down in many years.

It has an excellent search system and the 'labels' facility is great as I file important material under labels, headings and colours which I choose.

THANKS for your replies

1. you made me blush, ofcourse the Sent Mail shows the recipent, the Inbox shows "me"

2. What you are saying, no real reason to switch to the NEW INBOX.

And I assume Google will not do sort the old mail, so you have two systems running.

That´s calling for real trouble

I'm not sure.

I'm using it the way it's worked for years.

I know that they, recently, added some new boxes and functions but haven't explored them as I'm satisfied with things the way are. (That says a lot about me!).

THANKS for your replies

1. you made me blush, ofcourse the Sent Mail shows the recipent, the Inbox shows "me"

And I assume Google will not do sort the old mail, so you have two systems running.

That´s calling for real trouble

Actually it's not - they're separate apps - see my post (#6) above.

As long as you don't use both apps for the same email account they definitely "play nicely" together biggrin.png

Same as you could have (say) Outlook and Thunderbird running on a Windows PC for different email accounts - same same........ but different! whistling.gif

Edited by VBF

I have been useing Gmail for few years I think it is the best free mail service. Sometimes a mail that came into my inbox vanishes, do not know why. But I love Gmail

A mail can disappear from the inbox if you accidentally delete the Inbox tag from the mail. This means the mail is not sitting in any folder. The missing mail can be found by using the search function and then refiling to the required folder.

What is the difference between Gmail and Googlemail.

Googlemail is the former name of Gmail and some people still use old @Googlemail.com Email address.

And I just tested this - if you have an email account of, for example,

[email protected]

and you send an email to [email protected] it will arrive at the [email protected] account.

I tested this by sending FROM a Yahoo account because i knew it USED to work...it still does!

Edited by VBF

What is the difference between Gmail and Googlemail.

Googlemail is the former name of Gmail and some people still use old @Googlemail.com Email address.

It cannot be a former name. A couple of years ago a company I dealt with said I would need to have a gmail account, but when I registered I was given a googlemail address.

They are obviously linked but not on an old age basis.

PS. Found something on Google, The UK changed over in 2010, probably just after I registered, how time flies. I get my googlemail through outlook so I do not see the normal version.

Edited by sandyf

I use my gmail account when travelling overseas as my outlook account will not let me access it as it blocks me from my own account!

Gmail just requests my local mobile number and it sends me a password to that..Had that much trouble with my outlook account when overseas I have given up on even trying any more!as

Are you using it? Any good?

Does gmail.com now also all separate the outbox accordingly. That issue is the worst in Gmail. I don't need to see that all outgoing emails were sent by myself or "me" as it is shown in Gmail. Thousands of "Me" emails

I want to see " To Whom " I wrote last Year on day xxxx.

Has this issue been resolved by the new Inbox?

Lastly = does the new Inbox also retroactively sort old mails

You can turn off "conversation view" which I think you are referring to from the inbox settings (wheel at the top right?).

I tried "Inbox" for a few days and found I really preferred the older inbox. The "Trash" is a two click process in INBOX, I liked having TRASH one click away in the header.

My idiosyncratic self really prefers to sort my own mail. I have little enough to do as it is and sorting my mail is part of my morning cranial start-up routine.

No other complaints, really. I didn't give it much of a work out.

I can see how a very busy person with a very active email account would find the at a glance sorting to be quite useful.

Edited by dddave