I hit someone today

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to admit it, but with an accident between me and a thai here i would consider bolting.

The system is simply not fair enough here to pretend things would play out fairly or work out like they would in a more civilized society where people have rights and impartial investigations can be done.

If not too bad I'd tend to agree.

I had a collision at a set of lights in Sattahip. Both of us were in the wrong and he (minni van) clipped my pick up, not bad, but enough to leave his rubber off his wing mirrors on my wing.

I just carried on.

I think if you flee anyhow, even if caught on camera you can always argue you thought you were about to be robbed so you fled.

depending on how damaged your car is

Traffic going straight ahead has right-of-way to traffic that is turning-off.

You should have:

1. Seen them of course, check mirrors and look over your shoulder into the dead spot.

2. Given them right of way.

Drivel ,that means at any time when you have to do a right turn EVERYONE behind you can pass you whilst doing that turn, let me know how it turns out when you try it ,especially if you are driving a bus.

Well you made that determination (drivel) quickly.

The OP did not mention whether he was indicating his right turn, and I am unsure how many lanes there are on this road he was exiting. There is a chance he looked like a parked or stopped vehicle. This happens a lot in Thailand, it is full off idiots, many imported. My first day out in my truck I nearly knocked a lady off her bike who, at the traffic lights, decided being on my right in a right turn only lane, was the place to be to go straight on. That forced me to learn another pre-turn action. Having a left turn signal on also does not prevent being overtaken on the inside!

it wasnt diificult to make wink.png

next we'll have to start looking up, as well as left, right, in front , behindblink.png

Traffic going straight ahead has right-of-way to traffic that is turning-off.

You should have:

1. Seen them of course, check mirrors and look over your shoulder into the dead spot.

2. Given them right of way.

Drivel ,that means at any time when you have to do a right turn EVERYONE behind you can pass you whilst doing that turn, let me know how it turns out when you try it ,especially if you are driving a bus.

Well you made that determination (drivel) quickly.

The OP did not mention whether he was indicating his right turn, and I am unsure how many lanes there are on this road he was exiting. There is a chance he looked like a parked or stopped vehicle. This happens a lot in Thailand, it is full off idiots, many imported. My first day out in my truck I nearly knocked a lady off her bike who, at the traffic lights, decided being on my right in a right turn only lane, was the place to be to go straight on. That forced me to learn another pre-turn action. Having a left turn signal on also does not prevent being overtaken on the inside!

that would be "undertaken" as opposed to "undertaker" which is what theyd need after thatlaugh.pnglaugh.png

I argued that I'm British, we are trained to a high standard, when I make a turn I use my indicator at all times.

I'm geniunely curious, if British drivers are so highly trained why is there so much road rage in the UK? There are many road rage incidents from the UK posted on Youtube which probably just the tip of the iceburg.

immigration cheesy.gifcheesy.gif johnny foreigner doesnt know how to drive one of the family takes the test for all of them, hence we now have photo ID driving licences, well thats what used to happen in Birmingham where Im from years ago with Indian and Pakistani families..........no word of a lie, maybe some exaggeration

I argued that I'm British, we are trained to a high standard, when I make a turn I use my indicator at all times.

I'm geniunely curious, if British drivers are so highly trained why is there so much road rage in the UK? There are many road rage incidents from the UK posted on Youtube which probably just the tip of the iceburg.

immigration cheesy.gifcheesy.gif johnny foreigner doesnt know how to drive one of the family takes the test for all of them, hence we now have photo ID driving licences, well thats what used to happen in Birmingham where Im from years ago with Indian and Pakistani families..........no word of a lie, maybe some exaggeration

yep very true, if you see a indian or Paki driving in the UK you stay clear. One guy working at our Factory in Manchester got the end of his

turbon caught in the gear shift,there was all kinds of problems caused through this,as it was at rush hour 0730

Balls ,the bike is in the wrong, passing a car turning right, stick some camera on after this crap, I did front and rear hd.

Yes, notrmallythe bike is wrong. But only if the driver of the car switched the turning light on.

But, as usual, the motorcyclist will say, that the car didn't turn one, the turnig light signal. It happens always.

For the most part we (UK) are trained to a higher standard than the average Thai Driver... Not many people would dispute this.

In context: The example I provided of the accident I was involved with pointed out that the police didn't dispute this either.

This happens all the time here. If you indicate to turn right or left it will be ignored. In fact if you indicate to move into another lane,they will exccelerate as not to let you in. Thai cuture again

This is my space fxxk off.

I wish you luck,and i am sure all will be ok

Seeing someone with their indicators on and accelerating so they can't change lanes is not unique to Thai culture. Apparently you've never lived in a big city.

Edited by gavin310

This happens all the time here. If you indicate to turn right or left it will be ignored. In fact if you indicate to move into another lane,they will exccelerate as not to let you in. Thai cuture again

I wish you luck,and i am sure all will be ok

Seeing someone with their indicators on and accelerating so they can't change lanes is not unique to Thai culture. Apparently you've never lived in a big city.

You have miss read the post,, When you indicate over here it is normal for the car behind to accelerate to block you in. It happens also outside of the town

Its normal here. By the Way Bangkok is not a city,its a town, ( no cathedral )

For the most part we (UK) are trained to a higher standard than the average Thai Driver... Not many people would dispute this.

In context: The example I provided of the accident I was involved with pointed out that the police didn't dispute this either.

Hence the question, why are there so many road rage incidents in the UK and relatively far few of them in Thailand?

Most car owners here have smart phones with video capability so there's no doubt such incidents would be captured and posted to Youtube yet there are very few from Thailand but a plethora from the UK, as well as, Russia, Australia and US - other western countries with supposedly 'higher driving standards.'

I wish you luck,and i am sure all will be oka

And the considerate British drivers will let you in, NOT. Can't comment on our friends across the pond. Still a great opportunity to Thai bash.

I assure you old chap I am just stating a fact,,, If I Wanted to Thai bash I would,as I could not give a txxx what you or other trolls say.

The drivers over here are crazy, You obviously do not drive here ( if you do may be you drive the same style) I drive every day 150km on the motorway

They the Thai drivers weave in and out of traffic that is doing 110 to 120 kmh They block you in if you want to pull out,,, even if they are 300mtr away

they will flash their lights and, drive a full power just to block you in,and try and hinder you. So cocker leave it out and troll somewhere else.

Hence the question, why are there so many road rage incidents in the UK and relatively far few of them in Thailand?

Most car owners here have smart phones with video capability so there's no doubt such incidents would be captured and posted to Youtube yet there are very few from Thailand but a plethora from the UK, as well as, Russia, Australia and US - other western countries with supposedly 'higher driving standards.'

There is one very simple reason, 9mm pistols, Road rage!! never thats if your head is screwed on, you are very lighty to get shot.

There is one very simple reason, 9mm pistols, Road rage!! never thats if your head is screwed on, you are very lighty to get shot.

You're even more likely to get shot in the US yet there's no shortage of road rage there.

You're even more likely to get shot in the US yet there's no shortage of road rage there.

Really? I have no idea what goes on over there,but here its a fact, it happens all the time,and i mean ALL THE TIME buy the way Thai news today 35 killed on the roads today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ApEkXNun8

Really? I have no idea what goes on over there,but here its a fact, it happens all the time,and i mean ALL THE TIME buy the way Thai news today 35 killed on the roads today

Do you have proof that it happens all the time? The video you posted is 1 incident in 2014 vs 100x as many posted from UK/AUS/US etc.

FOR fxxxs sake,

Do you have proof that it happens all the time? The video you posted is 1 incident in 2014 vs 100x as many posted from UK/AUS/US etc.

Have a look yourself,there are so many, I also see such things daily. Please tell me do you drive here? if so where,and how many km per day. If in town it does not

count, Its when you get outside,thats where it all happens,and at speed. They are not yet experienced enough for speed. period

It's really not your problem, financially speaking. If or when you have a collision ; call the insurance company and they will send a rep to deal with everything, including the repairs to your car and all third party costs etc. the police will also be dealt with. Well worth the ฿10 to 15,000 per year premium.

You do have insurance don't you?

"I yelled at the driver too, I couldn't help it." What a dumb westerner thing to say. I know in some situtations Thais can go from calm to stabby in a few seconds but when it comes to this stuff most of them are jai yen yen.

I will never forget watching a vigo ute ram a motorbike from behind causing damage and almost killing the rider in bkk. They both pulled over and I looked on waiting for somebody to kill somebody but they calmy exchanged details and left.

Yelling at the person you just ran over isn't going to help anything. Yelling at Thai people in general is a bad idea. Not just because they might stab you in the face but also it makes you look like an idiot in their culture.

To further your point, he basically is admitting guilt with this statement. If he was going to yell anything it should have been "what the F are you doing passing me on the right? I had my indicator on and Clearly there was a long line of cars waiting for a reason!"

Have a look yourself,there are so many, I also see such things daily. Please tell me do you drive here? if so where,and how many km per day. If in town it does not

count, Its when you get outside,thats where it all happens,and at speed. They are not yet experienced enough for speed. period

There's plenty of reckless driving by western standards but the norm for developing country like Thailand. What I don't see is raging hostility as a result of it and two drivers pulling over and start beating on each other which is a common occurence in western countries.

If you can prove otherwise, take video of it and post it to Youtube for all to see.

In the west there would be no doubt as to who is in the wrong. Being in Thailand, you have driving rules just like the West on paper but when actually on the road we are talking two different things.

Someone mentioned getting a lawyer? Living here I have spoken to Lawyers, politician, Doctors, EMS, etc.. and of course the police. How do any of these people determine accidents when they themselves drive in the same manner which do not follow the majority of the rules in their own driver handbook.

In your situation, just the share fact that you stopped and was waiting to making a turn would normally indicate to a educated driver to slow down here in Thailand that does not apply. I on many occasions have my right hand signal on right up on the center of the dividing line ready to make my turn only to have a motorbike zoom by, I've gotten into the habit each time regardless of turn signal to look again before turning. When making a left I put on my signal and slowly cut the space on my left prior to actually making the turn. This way there is not enough room for them to pass me while making a turn.

I was once told by a police that I needed to take care of people on motorbike since they are smaller and not protected by steel. I responded that being smaller and unprotected shouldn't give them a green light to breaking the law. I'm not superman! one can not stop on a dime. And who looks after who when both are on motorbikes? Is that call no fault? Many police do not know ( although it is in their handbook ) something called " Right of Way ".

In front of your complex the road, if you are in luck, is there a solid or double yellow line, if so, all you got to do is point at the handbook and show them the page what a sold yellow lane means. Two, try to obtain the driver license of the guy on the motorbike, if he does not have one again you are in luck. Majority of the motorbike driver that i know do not have one or expired, believe it or not. The biggest problem is you are a Farang and being one means you should pay up. When it comes to the insurance company same mentality! How do you determine who is at fault when they themselves are driving the same way that makes Thailand the second worse country in world when it comes to death and accidents. What they do is pay it instead of investigating. And it being a motorbike (Thai ) 100% most likely no insurance and if it is determine to be his fault, how do you get something when there is nothing to give. In the end, your insurance will pay and you will see your premium go up next year.

Edited by thailand49

Many police do not know ( although it is in their handbook ) something called " Right of Way ".

You need to lose the 'Right of Way' entitlement mentality. It carries little weight in a developing country whereas 'opportunity' carries much more. When you see scooters navigating traffic, it's the opportunity mindset that dictates behavior(eg,there's room to move forward, there's a gap to move into, there's a way to maintain momentum without stopping).

By and large, none of this is intentionally malicious, rude or even arrogant behavior but rather the mindset of a developing country, for many of which are just barely getting by, and looking for any advantage they can get. And you know what, it largely works without the usual anger, hostility and roadside drama one often encounters driving in western countries.

If the motorcyclist was overtaking at a junction he is 100% at fault.

A few weeks ago I was turning right from one main road into another. There was oncoming traffic when I reached the junction so I stopped and waited for the oncoming carriage to clear. My right hand indicator was on at all times. It was a single carriage way (no room to pass on the left). Two cars pulled up behind me patiently waiting for me to turn. Just as I was making my turn I gave a last check to my wing mirror. A car was travelling at high speed and overtaking the two cars behind me. Luckily I saw it in time an stopped my turn. Had we collided there is no way I could be considered at fault, but it got me wondering about the law in Thailand.

Road Traffic Act.

Section 46

[The driver shall not overtake another vehicle when:

b. within a distance of 30m from a pedestrian crossing, junction, circle (rotary) or railroad crossing

Seems pretty clear. The motorcyclist was making an illegal manoeuvre and is undoubtedly at fault.

To be fair if you try and overtake someone on the right side to someone who has started turning right , you deserve to get smashed. If he didn't see him the motorbike may have been up his arse and then swerved out to overtake him as he slowed down to turn , I have no sympathy for these gormless , They have no idea how to drive and neither do the police or the courts know who are the guilty parties , when a 4 year could work it out

Another day in the Third World

Edited by ExPratt

Many police do not know ( although it is in their handbook ) something called " Right of Way ".

You need to lose the 'Right of Way' entitlement mentality. It carries little weight in a developing country whereas 'opportunity' carries much more. When you see scooters navigating traffic, it's the opportunity mindset that dictates behavior(eg,there's room to move forward, there's a gap to move into, there's a way to maintain momentum without stopping).

By and large, none of this is intentionally malicious, rude or even arrogant behavior but rather the mindset of a developing country, for many of which are just barely getting by, and looking for any advantage they can get. And you know what, it largely works without the usual anger, hostility and roadside drama one often encounters driving in western countries.

Personally I take umbrage at the 'he can't afford it therefore you'll have to' permiating via these threads. If I were on the wrong end of this i'd refer any complicit insurance rep to their underwriters, along with my dashcam footage. Edited by evadgib