Dhara Dhevi Fujian

LawrenceChee

Just got back and went back to my fav dim sum joint. Manager is still there and surprise surprise he managed to snag the chef from Peninsula Mei Jiang Bangkok to work here too

The results is a good blend between the No 1 & 2 in the kitchen as we now have some regional specialities normally found in Bangkok hotels

I had the crystal prawns yesterday on top of my dim sum and it was fresh and there are 4 styles of cooking. I picked the Cantonese sautéed style and it was excellent

Great meal to be back in Chiangmai and I will be trying passionate CM soon enough

At last! someone who knows what a prawn is and not whale fodder shrimps!!!

Lawrence, this place sounds interesting; where exactly is it?

prawn and shrimp have various meanings depending on location... for some, freshwater denotes prawn for others, size...as in freshwater shrimp, .... whales prefer krill.

They have expanded the bakery and cake section although it is so popular for pictures ....for those living close to Maya they have opened a branch there and it's bliss at 2pm to have a nice cup of tea and cake in relative quiet

It's at the hotel area and belongs to Dhara Dhevi ...they used to call it mandarin oriental classy hotel and the lobby has a colonial bar that serves a wicked whisky in a old school boy bar setting ...dark wood and all I love this hotel

The rest of their F&B outlets are equally outstanding Farang Sea and the buffet are all worth a trip there

Not cheap at all but the quality ambience and service makes it a great experience and treat

prawn and shrimp have various meanings depending on location... for some, freshwater denotes prawn for others, size...as in freshwater shrimp, .... whales prefer krill.

Actually, prawn and shrimp are two very biologically different creatures. The different 'meanings' are the result of people not being aware that there is a biological difference between the two. While they look somewhat the same on cursory examination (and taste almost identical) prawns and shrimp have different shell configurations and totally different breathing apparatus.

Both prawns and shrimp are 'Decapod Crustaceans,' but prawns are of the sub-order 'Dendrobrachiata,' while shrimp are of the sub-order 'Pliocymata,' and there are a bunch of different 'body parts' to tell them apart; two claw-like legs rather than three, branching gills rather than laminar, even how their body 'shape' differs... smooth curve vs sharp bend. There can be large or small shrimp and large or small prawns. In these guys, size doesn't matter.

But in spite of the biological differences, when prepared correctly, you can't taste the difference between the two.

t09AV4.gif

Edited by FolkGuitar

Actually, prawn and shrimp are two very biologically different creatures. The different 'meanings' are the result of people not being aware that there is a biological difference between the two. While they look somewhat the same on cursory examination (and taste almost identical) prawns and shrimp have different shell configurations and totally different breathing apparatus.

Both prawns and shrimp are 'Decapod Crustaceans,' but prawns are of the sub-order 'Dendrobrachiata,' while shrimp are of the sub-order 'Pliocymata,' and there are a bunch of different 'body parts' to tell them apart; two claw-like legs rather than three, branching gills rather than laminar, even how their body 'shape' differs... smooth curve vs sharp bend. There can be large or small shrimp and large or small prawns. In these guys, size doesn't matter.

But in spite of the biological differences, when prepared correctly, you can't taste the difference between the two.

t09AV4.gif

Wow I learnt something new ...thanks for sharing ! Now I am having more prawns ;)))

Is that the Chinese restaurant at the end of the walkway with all the Chinese lanterns...up the steps?

If so, best Peking Duck I have had in Thailand.

One of my favorite restaurants in CM.

Is that the Chinese restaurant at the end of the walkway with all the Chinese lanterns...up the steps?

If so, best Peking Duck I have had in Thailand.

One of my favorite restaurants in CM.

Yep - that's the one - great Peking Duck and Dim Sum

They have expanded the bakery and cake section although it is so popular for pictures ....for those living close to Maya they have opened a branch there and it's bliss at 2pm to have a nice cup of tea and cake in relative quiet

well to each their own but i found the items on offer at the MAYA Dara Devi cake shop to be so sickening sweet that of the couple of item we tried, we could not finish them. there had to have been 15 teaspoons of sugar in each tiny dessert. same with macaroons we took home. so sweet it was unbelievable.

well to each their own but i found the items on offer at the MAYA Dara Devi cake shop to be so sickening sweet that of the couple of item we tried, we could not finish them. there had to have been 15 teaspoons of sugar in each tiny dessert. same with macaroons we took home. so sweet it was unbelievable.

True ...I do have a sweet tooth as my cavities and dentist says...hahaha just no one can say i didn't enjoy life ;)

Thank god for the guy who invented dental implants

t09AV4.gif

Scientific definitions and common culinary usage aren't always the same or even revelant to this food oriented thread (we can all copy and paste stuff from google)

For example while the tomato is botanically a fruit it is considered a vegetable for culinary purposes (as well as under U.S. customs regulations).

Even the term "vegetable" is somewhat arbitrary, and largely defined through culinary and cultural tradition.

Don't get me going Kap, oops too late.

Two stories from just this week alone:

Went to an medium priced buffet this week at a place that's been talked about a lot on TV recently and 2 kinds of fish were included. I asked the boss (Chef/Manager and perhaps owner)

what they were. One, which was already in pieces, he answered by saying "nobody knows" and the other, which was a whole Tabtim, he said was seabass.

Then yesterday I went to one of, if not the best known, health food restaurant in town and they were serving seabass and had no idea that there was fish farming in the sea so of course none of the health implications associated with it.

And these people call themselves Chefs and don't have a clue even about what they are serving.