Somyot rejects request for him to strip Thaksin of police rank again

Lite Beer

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what I would like to know is why is the police chief above the courts?

good question ....

but my question : why an army is above an elected Government by 2 times already..?? (and more in the past )wink.png

So we can conclude that sending it back unsigned the first time was just a gentle hint! An eye to all possible eventualities. Hoping for a return to business as usual? These anti corruption moves are NOT popular.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Had Somyot spoken out as yo why he didn't clarify this lack of details as one of his reasons for sending it back the first time? If not! Then he is just stalling for time or for more reasons to reject it yet again. I am pretty sure when a gov worker like Somyot receives an important document like this one he reads it first and then looks to see who signed it. This is going to be a vicious circle with Somyot as it is clear he has no intention to revokes Thanks police rank. Everything he comments regarding it reeks of laying blame on others. Typical Thai behavior when they want you to look the other way

Covering his back. This guy's not stupid.

Regardless of your political views, Thaksin has been convicted of a crime, jumped bail and became a fugitive and has 15 serious court cases outstanding. The DSI now are after charging him with LM, which is considered gravely serious here. He also appeared on video links encouraging supporters to break laws.

<deleted> how many more coppers here have committed crimes but allowed to keep their rank, been transferred or just told off?

Next he'll try sending it back because they used the wrong colored ink or wrong weight of paper.

Maybe he should be allowed to retire early. A career as a stock broker and financial wizard could be waiting.

Regardless of your views Thaksin co-signing a perfectly legal housing purchase by his wife is hardly the crime of the century. Court cases outstanding mean nothing. The fact that they couldn't bring them to trial says it all. Les Majeste is so over used that Thai lawyers are calling it a human rights abuse.

I dislike Thaksin and wish he would get hit by a truck, but this silly "international criminal" hysteria was boring and stupid five years ago. A million additional repetitions hasn't improved it.

One obvious answer, Fire the police chief for his neglect and inaction, failure to strip Thaksin of his rank is a crime in it'self.

He was appointed by your dear great leader, remember ? one of the thousands thats been transfered into inactive post - contarary to the civil servant codes (they have done nothing wrong according to the code) or promoted based on undisclosed grounds and bathed in ointment for saying yes old great one. .

The word on the street is that any directed verdict by a tribunal made up of other than the accused peers, and is not recognized as a crime beyond Thai borders, is moot It is extremely difficult to pursue punishment or extradition in a case where the alleged crime would be called free speech in a representative democracy.

Edited by thaigold

Not the first time he did this is it. Look now! He's hiding under the table. No I'm looking at the chair he's not there. No, not the chair look under the table. No I'm looking at the chair he's not there. No not the chair he's under the table I can see him LOOK NOW!!! If you say look under the table again we will sue you.........

It's becoming Somyot's trademark.

So I've heard a lot of people complaining that the police are covering for their golden boy. What about the military going after their rival who leads the red shirts? It's okay because the military is doing it?

Furthermore, fugitives generally do not lose their passports. Countries that have police agreements generally share information with each other and are picked up when traveling. Somehow, I don't think China cares what Thailand thinks about Thaksin staying there.

Maybe he's a corrupt, idiotic, fool but revoking passports is abnormal for any fugitive and the obvious witch hunt continues. Fugitive or not.

Make no mistake : corruption is so rife in Thailand that everybody in power is connected to the big players with money in some way or another. That's how they got there.

If this guy displeases Thaksin, he will suffer for it. Doors will be closed and all the perks after his retirement will disappear. Because if others do not follow Thaksins orders, the same will happen to them. The Thaksin audio tape proved this : they were trying to buy off Prayuth and his boss with offers of lucrative positions to ensure a comfortable retirement if they went along with the plan to railroad an amnesty bill using the NSC and another family crony (Paradorn) who was put there by Yingluck for that very purpose.

This guy is worried about what happens to him if he approves it. At least if he puts up some resistance, Thaksin might be lenient.

What a delusional post. No facts supporting the statements

You disprove this.

Hard to deny the police were/are Thaksins/Chalerms private army and there may well be repercussions - retired or not.

So I've heard a lot of people complaining that the police are covering for their golden boy. What about the military going after their rival who leads the red shirts? It's okay because the military is doing it?

Furthermore, fugitives generally do not lose their passports. Countries that have police agreements generally share information with each other and are picked up when traveling. Somehow, I don't think China cares what Thailand thinks about Thaksin staying there.

Maybe he's a corrupt, idiotic, fool but revoking passports is abnormal for any fugitive and the obvious witch hunt continues. Fugitive or not.

Jeffrey, can you tell which countries will issue a new passport for a convicted fugitive on the run from a prison sentence? Furthermore, how do the authorities physically deliver the travel documentation to the fleeing fugitive in the countries you are referring to? Is there an amnesty on a certain day and they can pop in and collect it, or a "safe house" for issuing the passports that they use? I tried google searching how people on the run from prison can get their new passports but I can't find it.

It almost sounds like Thaksin propaganda which when you take a cold hard look at it, well it's absolute nonsense isn't it.

The fact that a convicted criminal sill holds a police rank makes Thailand look like a corrupt 3rd world banana republic...

National police chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang should be sacked for bringing the police force into disrepute.

It's quite correct to insist on a properly constructed documentation to support the recommendations.

Or more correctly:

It's quite correct to insist on a properly constructed document to support the recommendations.

or

It's quite correct to insist on properly constructed documents to support the recommendations.

​Quite..Sir Humphrey..in the fullness of time after a rigorous review and input from all stakeholders..... blah blah blah

Edited by Mudcrab

Jeffrey, can you tell which countries will issue a new passport for a convicted fugitive on the run from a prison sentence? Furthermore, how do the authorities physically deliver the travel documentation to the fleeing fugitive in the countries you are referring to? Is there an amnesty on a certain day and they can pop in and collect it, or a "safe house" for issuing the passports that they use? I tried google searching how people on the run from prison can get their new passports but I can't find it.

It almost sounds like Thaksin propaganda which when you take a cold hard look at it, well it's absolute nonsense isn't it.

QUOTE>>> "In 2009 it was announced that Thaksin had obtained Montenegrin citizenship through that country's economic citizenship program"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

But then are we not straying off topic... plenty of other threads on the subject of Thaksins passports.

Edited by Basil B

Covering his back. This guy's not stupid.

Regardless of your political views, Thaksin has been convicted of a crime, jumped bail and became a fugitive and has 15 serious court cases outstanding. The DSI now are after charging him with LM, which is considered gravely serious here. He also appeared on video links encouraging supporters to break laws.

<deleted> how many more coppers here have committed crimes but allowed to keep their rank, been transferred or just told off?

Next he'll try sending it back because they used the wrong colored ink or wrong weight of paper.

Maybe he should be allowed to retire early. A career as a stock broker and financial wizard could be waiting.

"<deleted> how many more coppers here have committed crimes but allowed to keep their rank, been transferred or just told off?" well... thousands as it happens

The fact that a convicted criminal sill holds a police rank makes Thailand look like a corrupt 3rd world banana republic...

National police chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang should be sacked for bringing the police force into disrepute.

Why weren't you whining about this ten years ago?

Lieutenant-General Chalor Kerdthes was convicted of savage murders and is serving a 50 year prison sentence. He still has his rank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Diamond_Affair

Scandals involving murders of innocent people and foreign diplomats as well as having currently serving Generals implicated in human trafficking gangs is slightly worse than co-signing for a legal house purchase wouldn't you say?

Again, I dislike Thaksin, think he is a menace to the country and would love to see him gone.

But the one-sided mania of the Thai visa couch warriors blinded by Thaksin obsession is out of control.

what I would like to know is why is the police chief above the courts?

good question ....

but my question : why an army is above an elected Government by 2 times already..?? (and more in the past )wink.png

Because (and this is part of the countries underlying problem) the Army is only accountable to the Monarchy, not the people through the elected government, I believe from what I have read.

Had Somyot spoken out as yo why he didn't clarify this lack of details as one of his reasons for sending it back the first time? If not! Then he is just stalling for time or for more reasons to reject it yet again. I am pretty sure when a gov worker like Somyot receives an important document like this one he reads it first and then looks to see who signed it. This is going to be a vicious circle with Somyot as it is clear he has no intention to revokes Thanks police rank. Everything he comments regarding it reeks of laying blame on others. Typical Thai behavior when they want you to look the other way

Well he may be stalling for time if he only has 4 months till retirement, I would in his position! However I spend 1/2 my working time covering my A, and the best way to do it is to make them put it in writing, so there is no doubt whatsoever. Cal it bureaucracy, poitics or whatever, it´s just smart really...

IMHO

"The first criteria details seven serious offences and the second explains whether such offence or misbehaviour will damage the reputation of the organisation, or is considered a dishonour to remain in the police rank, he said."

So doesn't being a convicted fugitive on the run fall into any of these categories ie. dishonoring the police force??? Or do they consider a fugitive on the run as standard operating procedure for a person to hold police ranking?

A glaring example of Thainess. No one, not even very senior people, want to make a decision or be held accountable for anything.

Is the most senior policeman scared to make a decision that is so glaringly obvious?

Crook on the run, can still be a Lt.Col. of police - why not TiT, not the real world.

Is he still being paid a Lt Col's salary?

Somyot says panel must explain how Thaksin 'offended police dignity'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- NATIONAL police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang said Friday he has sent back a request for him to strip former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra of his rank as a police lieutenant colonel to the police committee that considered the issue.

The panel had failed to thoroughly determine how Thaksin's behaviour deserved the action, he said.

Previously, Somyot sent back a request to strip Thaksin of his rank on grounds that a panel member failed to sign his name to endorse the decision.

"I insist that I'm not buying time. I don't fear [anything]. Everything must go through the process in accordance with the regulations," Somyot told reporters.

According to the 2004 regulation on police rank, an officer is to be stripped their rank if they violate the regulation through behaviour that damages the dignity and reputation of police, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Somyot-says-panel-must-explain-how-Thaksin-offende-30261704.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-05

Issue? Not many but revoke? Almost unheard of. They revoked passports he held before he had fled or was convicted of anything. One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present. How can you have a trial like that? Though I might run if I were wanted in Thailand, there's nothing fair or impartial about the justice system here.

One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present. How can you have a trial like that?

It's called trial in abstention and is used in almost every legal system throughout the world. Edited by zaphod reborn

Issue? Not many but revoke? Almost unheard of. They revoked passports he held before he had fled or was convicted of anything. One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present. How can you have a trial like that? Though I might run if I were wanted in Thailand, there's nothing fair or impartial about the justice system here.

" One thing I love about the convictions though, he was convicted without being present."

Are you suggesting that the former-PM was somehow prevented, from returning from the Beijing Olympics, for the conclusion of his trial ? blink.png

He chose not to return as-promised, of his own free will, after the court had granted him leave to travel overseas. facepalm.gif

I only wish there were some way, in which all the other cases might proceed without his first being in court to hear the charges read out, the Thai system is too fair rather than unfair IMO ! Perhaps an innocent man might have considered waiving that right ?

Nobody is suggesting that Thaksin wasn't properly represented in court, his own nominee-party PPP was in power at the time of his conviction, but was unable to prevent justice from prevailing, in that one small case. Hence the need for an unwanted but wide-ranging Amnesty Bill, five or six years later, when his sister had become PM in her turn.

Edited by Ricardo

So there is no double standard as previously complained by the reds?

Obviously the police are stil under the influence, wonder what the level is. 0.3. 0.5 0.7 . Obvious about the size of the problem Khun Prayut has to reform the police.