Starbucks at Central shopping center-Pattaya

americansiam

This is not a debate on which coffee shop has the best coffee. (Please, we have see this many times on this Pattaya forum). I decided to relax with a cup of hot brew yesterday at the busy Starbucks at Central and what a refreshing change to be greeting by a cheerful staff. All of them (I counted at least ten) were all busy waiting on customers or preparing the coffee. A smiling, well groomed, trained staff added to the comfortable atmosphere before I even sat down. (No one standing around looking in the mirror, on their phone, or picking their zits.) This establishment must pay their staff a lot more than 300 baht a day and the good training certainly adds to the enjoyment. (I just finished waiting 10 minutes in line at the B2S shop at Central that set me off so maybe I noticed the quality of service more than usual at Starbucks. )

Good for you that you enjoyed it.

But what I don't need in Pattaya/Thailand:

Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Subways and Hooters in Pattaya cheesy.gif ...

List to be completed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Subways and Hooters in Pattaya cheesy.gif ...

List to be completed.

And that's good for you, but the rest of us appreciate having the choice.

List to be completed.

And that's good for you, but the rest of us appreciate having the choice.

The longer I live here, the more I appreciate western comforts and comfort food!

It's a democratic society. If you want to go to Starbucks, then go. If you don't want to, then don't go. It's not about what place taste better. It's where you prefer to go. As a foreigner you should have enough money to go where you want to go.

I agree, but the are loads of coffee shops around town with excellent service and that sell decent coffee at a fraction of the the price of Stabucks. I went off them when they were exposed as tax avoiders.

Glad to hear there are other coffee shops around town "with excellent service.." Can you be specific and give the names of these coffee shops that have good, cheerful, well trained staff. Thanks.

I agree, but the are loads of coffee shops around town with excellent service and that sell decent coffee at a fraction of the the price of Stabucks. I went off them when they were exposed as tax avoiders.

Glad to hear there are other coffee shops around town "with excellent service.." Can you be specific and give the names of these coffee shops that have good, cheerful, well trained staff. Thanks.

Benjamin's near big market place off soi Buk kao & Pattaya Tai.

Agree that Benjamit has the best coffee in town. By far. However, there's no aircon and sitting around drinking coffee while sweating might not appeal to everyone.

Another acceptable cup is Bake and Brew on Soi Excyte. Further down near Jomtien, Pastrami on Rye has a drinkable Americano. Both places have cold aircon.

I rather pay 60 baht for a good cup of coffee at Benjamin than paying for overpriced not so good coffee at Starbucks. The staff do a great job at both places.

A parsimonious pal surprised me buying cups for us both at Burger King: B30 ea., Very good, actually. Atmosphere: not so much.

Time to avoid Starbucks is 2pm when they do "Buy one, get one free" promotion; line can stretch out the door.

I think Starbucks brewed coffee is quite good.

Most people buy espresso drinks at Starbucks, or rather milk and sugar drinks with coffee not so relevant.

Living here, I make my own coffee at home and find Starbucks overpriced but will drink their brewed coffee when traveling, happily.

I think people often like to trash Starbucks because it's American and they're offended that an American brand has done so much for global coffee culture.

It's a democratic society. If you want to go to Starbucks, then go. If you don't want to, then don't go. It's not about what place taste better. It's where you prefer to go. As a foreigner you should have enough money to go where you want to go.

the taste of the coffee isnt important to you? you must be a starbucks customer! whistling.gif

A parsimonious pal surprised me buying cups for us both at Burger King: B30 ea., Very good, actually. Atmosphere: not so much.

Time to avoid Starbucks is 2pm when they do "Buy one, get one free" promotion; line can stretch out the door.

. So basically you re buying it at the price it should be...

I am not displeased with Au Bon Cafe ... the coffee, for me that is, is the most delicious and I've yet to have poor service

. The one up in Nakula, is Great , liquid sugar for ur coffee, and the food is Quality too

Op

You wait 10 minutes for a cup of coffee.

No thanks

Don't do waiting like that in Thailand, its way to disappointing. coffee1.gif

I think you should read his post again. He waited 10 minutes in line at B2S then when he got to Starbucks he was very pleased at the service there. He doesn't report as to how long he waited for his coffee. I've been to that Starbucks several times as well as others and although one may complain about the price of their coffee their is no denying that the service is great. And kind of nice being in a cheap charlie free area.

Edited by Spaniel

I think people often like to trash Starbucks because it's American and they're offended that an American brand has done so much for global coffee culture.

Perhaps, but I also reckon people like to trash SB cos they are another global MNC that devote an awful lot of time and effort to not paying tax.

I've travelled a lot in the last couple of months in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia; in all of those places, a coffee in a local joint was tastier and far, far cheaper than a drink from any of the 'chains'.

Starbucks have been brilliant at marketing and following a concept of a relaxed, comfortable, "no hassle" environment, that is perceived by many Thais as "upmarket". They are invaluable places for students and for teachers wanting to conduct private classes!

Starbucks have been brilliant at marketing and following a concept of a relaxed, comfortable, "no hassle" environment, that is perceived by many Thais as "upmarket". They are invaluable places for students and for teachers wanting to conduct private classes!

No doubt priced at half the daily minimum wage for 1 cup had nothing to do with being upmarket. ;)

No doubt priced at half the daily minimum wage for 1 cup had nothing to do with being upmarket. wink.png

Most of the Thais I know are more interested in buying their equally over-priced, "upmarket" pastries and cakes!

" They are invaluable places for students and for teachers wanting to conduct private classes!"

Spot on, BB There are several Starbucks near universities where there is never an open table. Students take up every space and camp all day. Management goes "Ho Hum."