Free government medical for farangs?

Is there any major procedure that could be done in a government hospital that could cost 2 million baht or are you talking long term palliative care? One person tells me govt hospitals are good and cheap if you will accept some inconvenience and with others it's all doom and gloom. Let's face it private health insurance here for someone over 65 here is frankly just too expensive. Does anyone have any real experience with govt hospitals and fees for major surgery? When I Google farang private health insurance I only get European companies come back and the fees are ridiculous. Surely the Thais must have more reasonable insurance available here? I mean the medical costs are so much cheaper. Someone told me some of the larger hospitals have their own insurance funds

Good and cheap is relative, why do you think medical costs are so much cheaper or why should they be and even they are,

they shouldn't be used to subside a farang who didn't do the responsible thing when they moved to Thailand,

if one is working and paying income tax and gets SS fund medical scheme, that's one thing, but something far different when someone washes up on Thailand's shores through their own choice and starts demanding subsided or free medical treatment

Further go and look in the private hospitals and tell me who the main customers are, please don't try and infer that these hospitals are set up for foreigner punters only they are not.

But there is your problem don't google "farang private medical insurance"

Just get an old fishing boat and a couple cases of beer and float around for a few days and your liable to get free medical care and a place to stay.....

But the op would need to move to the Med for that and join ISIS

Best to consult an insurance broker. It is true that most of the policies that will enroll an over 65 year old are foreign based. Rates vary greatly and there are ways to further reduce premiums by, for example, accepting a deductible or copay.

While Thai based policies tend to cost less this is because their level of cover is usually extremely low -- too low in fact to be of use in many cases. In terms of value for money (premium cost compared to coverage provided) the Thai policies are in fact not very good. The problem is that the pool of insured people in Thailand is small, since the Thais all have coverage under either SS or government UC scheme.

I was able to replace my local policy with an internationally based one for slightly less premium by accepting a $2000/year deductible and 50% copay up to a maximum of $5000 out of pocket per year (options Thai policies do not offer) and got a much higher coverage cap.

Be aware that health insurance is not as tightly regulated in Thailand as abroad. Legally, companies can raise your rates based on having had claims or drop you altogether if they so choose even if you never miss a premium. Not permitted in the West. Internationally issued policies are subject to the laws of the country where the issuing company is based.

OP how long have you been in Thailand and what were you doing before reaching 65 ?

Well my friend like many here your reply is both aggressive and presumptuous. I am actually 50 and currently have full medical insurance. Why use bitter and resentful remarks like "washed up on these shores" and "demanding free medical". I have done neither.

You having a bad day or you just hate everyone non Thai. I note you have added no real advice or added any value. Only bitter remarks

OP how long have you been in Thailand and what were you doing before reaching 65 ?

Well my friend like many here your reply is both aggressive and presumptuous. I am actually 50 and currently have full medical insurance. Why use bitter and resentful remarks like "washed up on these shores" and "demanding free medical". I have done neither.

You having a bad day or you just hate everyone non Thai. I note you have added no real advice or added any value. Only bitter remarks

Refer to your own post 5 and 25 :blink:

Hardly being aggressive dear boy and nowhere did I accuse you of washing up on any shores or demanding medical treatment, I am talking in general terms, as comments like this have been made on this very forum so one could suggest it's you being presumptuous

Further if one is only 50, why would you be worried at this stage about being over 65 and looking for insurance, as if one is already on private medical scheme, this is not problematic once some reaches 65 anyway

Not having a bad day at all, I have given plenty of good comments, re Free/subsided medical and was in fact one if the first to correct your assumption as regards the migrant medical insurance

Not my problem if your not getting the answers you want to hear

Reason I'm worried about 65 is that appears to be wen the big private medical insurance fees kick in. Obviously they don't want you when Ur in the high risk area and it's take it or leave it. Don't fees go up as you get older? Many here say they do.

As far as answers I want to hear....I haven't heard one person on any forum suggest a reasonably priced health insurance company yet, particularly for older people. Maybe they don't exist. Quotes I've had from them are a lot higher fees than in the west and the cover is extremely limited and provisory. Most here seem to fund their own medical ie either have plenty of cash or are hoping for the best

Reason I'm worried about 65 is that appears to be wen the big private medical insurance fees kick in. Obviously they don't want you when Ur in the high risk area and it's take it or leave it. Don't fees go up as you get older? Many here say they do.

As far as answers I want to hear....I haven't heard one person on any forum suggest a reasonably priced health insurance company yet, particularly for older people. Maybe they don't exist. Quotes I've had from them are a lot higher fees than in the west and the cover is extremely limited and provisory. Most here seem to fund their own medical ie either have plenty of cash or are hoping for the best

And your are not going to get suggestions on here either as to "reasonable" premiums as every case if quoted differently, you need to talk to the broker concerned as Sheryl suggested , age/ existing conditions / coverage etc too many variables and is quoted on a case for case basis

As regards Older people, although not Thailand my parents are in their 80's my mother on chronic medication and is on private medical insurance and been with same company since they were both in their mid 30's, yes there were increases over the years but the premium didn't go through the roof when they hit 65 that's a fact so yes these policy's exist

And if as you have stated you already have insurance at 50, if you stick with the same company hitting 65 it will not be problematic per se

As some who has western medical insurance from a UK company in Thailand and has looked at polices from Thai based companies, the quotes between the UK and Thailand the prices are not that different for similar provisions

Yes large numbers of people do fund their own medical insurance in Thailand, as they are not citizens or PR and are doing the responsible thing and looking after their own affairs and planning things

Edited by Soutpeel

I don't know what you call reasonable. I am in my late 50s and have insurance with a western (French) company called ACS. The policy is called "Asia-expat" and is specifically designed for expats living in SE Asian countries. I feel easier dealing with a western system, even the French, though I have not forgiven Napoleon.

It is manageable online, and as is usual, once you sign up they cannot then drop you if you develop a serious condition. For me, no pre-existing conditions, non-smoker, in generally good health the premiums are about US$1200 per year, paid in six month instalments by credit card. For this I get coverage up to $500,000 per year, not large for the US, but for Thailand probably OK.

The policy does not include out-patient treatment, which is available as a more expensive module, but out patient charges in Thailand are cheap enough that the additional premium is probably more than you would pay out of your own pocket unless you are a constant patient.

I have no idea what they are like to claim from since I have had no need yet. However at least in theory they directly reimburse the hospital for treatment if pre-informed, and there is no co-pay.

If you have any interest you can have a look here http://www.acs-ami.com/en/acs/expatasia for coverage details

or contact AA Insurance brokers http://www.aainsure.net/

Thanks a bunch mate. Will check them out for sure

Sorry, I made a big mistake here, as I inadvertently gave you the premium for 2012. Just checked my papers and my 2015 one was actually $1979- a big difference I know. I must have blanked it out of my memory as it sounds quite huge to me now!

Sorry about that, but you may still be interested , since at 50 your premiums are likely to be considerably cheaper than mine...

Edited by partington

I get 100% free medical cover which includes dentistry as well.

How?

My wife is Thai and works as a government officer ( a well respected one I might add) As a government officer, she and her immediate family are entitled to free health care ..and that includes me smile.png

I have had the benefit of this on quite a few occasions and the only time money changes hands is to pay for any medication, for which my wife claims back.

Morally however, I feel as guilty as hell when I use the benefit .. me, a foreigner who hasn't paid into the system getting free health care just doesn't seem quite ethical somehow, when I look around at all the genuinely sick Thais who don't have the same benefits I do,

No i do not in any way want you to feel guilty, but take a look at the system. Me and a lot og pensioners have fed spose, spouses children, her mother and father and probably a few more, given the children a good education her children and on top of that paid tax to Thailand and what do we get. I hope the rulers of this place sooner than later start to understand how the modern world, they so want to be a part of, work.

Pay Thai S.S., 1,500 a month 50/50 with company, have had for over 30 years. never a problem at any Gov. Hospital, if they don't have the facilities they send you to a Gov. Hospital they does.

Some requested things you pay a small fee for now, but over all I have never paid, I patiently wait with the Thais until my turn comes up. Easy

Not sure what scheme you are referring to, but the SS as we know it today has only been in existence for about 20 years. I have been a member for almost that time, virtually from the day of its inception.

There are some drawbacks, such as the nearest member hospital often being some distance away. But overall very good system.

I have been a Thai SS member since 2534.... I have held a gold card (30 Baht) since 2544 but I don't/can't use it since I'm under the Thai SS system. I have been a PR holder since 2539. I pay 432 Baht per month plus 5 Baht transfer fee at Krung Thai Bank. My two cents...

Edited by johnh869

Interesting point of view Soutpeel,

Perhaps you would like to explain to those of us how we are to pay the premium on insurance policy.

I'll use myself as an example Insurance premium in the US was offered to me at 10,000.00 dollars per month.

You see i have the dreded "pre existing condition!"

I was self employed and made about 30K a year. Hmm my math says I going to be 90K short.

I don't expect the Thais to take care of me I do expect an elevator to take me to a high floor and acess to the roof!

One of my main reasons for abandoning my home country is they put a gun to my head and said you will do this, you will buy health insurance which i want but not at 10K a month. I don't respond well to threats. Not to mention the fact that if a government can force its citizens to buy health care what is next Snow Blowers!

So I left.

Perhaps you would like to explain to those of us how we are to pay the premium on insurance policy.

I'll use myself as an example Insurance premium in the US was offered to me at 10,000.00 dollars per month.

I was self employed and made about 30K a year. Hmm my math says I going to be 90K short.

I don't expect the Thais to take care of me I do expect an elevator to take me to a high floor and acess to the roof!

One of my main reasons for abandoning my home country is they put a gun to my head and said you will do this, you will buy health insurance which i want but not at 10K a month. I don't respond well to threats. Not to mention the fact that if a government can force its citizens to buy health care what is next Snow Blowers!

So I left.

Why would they quote you 10k USD a month for preexisting conditions ?

Preexisting conditions are typically excluded from medical insurance ie they will not pay for it :blink:

So I am actually struggling with the credibility of your post from the offset and the fact someone has quoted you 10k/m USD for medical insurance

Possible Solution .

I have just spent 6 months in Thailand and took out travel insurance which as you probably know takes in many areas of cover but the most important is the medical side . I had medical cover up to £10,000,000 . I had pre existing conditions , i.e. high b/p etc and a couple of others but nothing serious. My age is 68 and a smoker . Total cost £123 for the 6 months .

Toward the end of my stay I was taken ill and spent 3 days in a government hospital . I was in great pain and on morphine , intravenous antibiotics, given ultra sound and taken to another hospital for a ct scan . Illness cleared in 3 days and I paid the bill 15,000 baht . Have since claimed it back and the insurance company actually paid me an extra £25 per night for each night in hospital . Ins.Co. very helpful and even wanted to take me to a private hospitol in BK but there was no way I could make that 6 hour journey by road because of the stomach pains , even with the morphine .

Insurance quotes vary and the dearest quote was £400 ish . I know that there are many ex-pats who choose to leave Thailand in the hot months and many do a 6 month split , so this may be a viable solution .

So I left.

Why would they quote you 10k USD a month for preexisting conditions ?

Preexisting conditions are typically excluded from medical insurance ie they will not pay for it :blink:

So I am actually struggling with the credibility of your post from the offset and the fact someone has quoted you 10k/m USD for medical insurance

In the US you may no longer be denied coverage for preexisting conditions.

The 10k/mo is bogus though.

The penalty for being uninsured is$95

I looked at the travel insurance thing and indeed it is a great and economical option. Virtually unlimited medical in the best hospitals. Unfortunately most will only insure you for the first 2 years. After that unless you have spent 6 months full time back in Ur own country the insurance is void.

I saved this information last year prior to arriving in Thailand, does anyone know if it bears any creedence. Sorry I did not save the Thai version.

.... And also that people covered by SS carefully research and consider their selection of hospital -- you do have a choice in this and the quality of care in the various hospitals will differ markedly.

Sheryl, can you advise how to research a govt hospital? I have worked in computers in the medical industry for many years, most recently In Bumrungrad for about 15 years. One gets to hear the reputation of the very best such as Chulalongkorn hospital (which i beleive is closed to new SS members) but now that i live up country how to research local hospitals?

• 2 weeks later...

I get 100% free medical cover which includes dentistry as well.

How?

My wife is Thai and works as a government officer ( a well respected one I might add) As a government officer, she and her immediate family are entitled to free health care ..and that includes me smile.png

I have had the benefit of this on quite a few occasions and the only time money changes hands is to pay for any medication, for which my wife claims back.

Morally however, I feel as guilty as hell when I use the benefit .. me, a foreigner who hasn't paid into the system getting free health care just doesn't seem quite ethical somehow, when I look around at all the genuinely sick Thais who don't have the same benefits I do,

OK...that is understandable.

You can relieve yourself of any guilt feelings and remorse in the following way.

Next time you see a genuine Thai beggar or Thai person in genuine dire straights then do not hesitate to walk right up to them and whip out your wallet full of foreigner owned Thai Baht and give that person a 1000 Baht note ..without hesitation.

Or better yet spread the money around and give 100 baht each to 10 ( Ten ) genuine beggars or truly poor Thai people obviously in need of help.

You will feel much better about yourself....lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy