Thai license possible with these circumstances?

Yes, need doctors report, photocopy of passport, copy of visa, copy of latest visa entry stamp, copy of immigration departure card., and proof of residency address. If you have a work permit or Thai house registration book that will suffice too.

Then take an eye test for colors, breaking reaction test, peripheral vision test, written exam, and actual road test.

You have a motorcycle you can use that you are comfortable with? The most difficult part of the road test is driving on the thin and narrow straight raised piece of concrete in a straight line for about 25-30 meters without falling off and no stopping along the way.

The written test is tricky. Be prepared to fail it once or twice possibly because of ambiguous questions that often have two correct multiple choice answers to choose from.

You can take the written test up to twice in one day. If you fail it the first time If you fail it more than twice then have to come back and take it again the next day.

The road test I think can only taken once in a day and if you fail it then must wait a few days or a week possibly even I think before you can retake it.

It's a full day affair.

Edited by WingNut

thanks, was already aware of the test procedures from researching the forum.... just wasnt clear if they would actually issue me one after seeing my expired home license.... didnt want to go wait in line for several hours just to find out i was ineligible later on

really dont want to waste a whole day.... been trying to find someone who will just go "handle" it all for me.... but prices ive been quoted are ridiculous... so looks like i have to bite the bullet and go do it all myself

"No IDP

Expired home country license (2 years)

No motorcycle certification on home country license"

This means that you don't have a motorcycle license from your home country either. So even if your home country license was not expired, you wouldn't have been able to get the Thai license without doing the test.

Yes, need doctors report, photocopy of passport, copy of visa, copy of latest visa entry stamp, copy of immigration departure card., and proof of residency address. If you have a work permit or Thai house registration book that will suffice too.

Then take an eye test for colors, breaking reaction test, peripheral vision test, written exam, and actual road test.

You have a motorcycle you can use that you are comfortable with? The most difficult part of the road test is driving on the thin and narrow straight raised piece of concrete in a straight line for about 25-30 meters without falling off and no stopping along the way.

The written test is tricky. Be prepared to fail it once or twice possibly because of ambiguous questions that often have two correct multiple choice answers to choose from.

You can take the written test up to twice in one day. If you fail it the first time If you fail it more than twice then have to come back and take it again the next day.

The road test I think can only taken once in a day and if you fail it then must wait a few days or a week possibly even I think before you can retake it.

It's a full day affair.

The test centre next to Sukhumvit 99 doesn't have this wink.png

thanks, was already aware of the test procedures from researching the forum.... just wasnt clear if they would actually issue me one after seeing my expired home license.... didnt want to go wait in line for several hours just to find out i was ineligible later on

really dont want to waste a whole day.... been trying to find someone who will just go "handle" it all for me.... but prices ive been quoted are ridiculous... so looks like i have to bite the bullet and go do it all myself

No use in sending someone else, since they take your photo for your license on the spot.

No use in sending someone else, since they take your photo for your license on the spot.

there are people who go do it all for you... they take your photo in advance and bring it to the office... my friend paid them to do it because he didnt want to spend a day or two bored to death..... but the price was ridiculous IMO, i wont pay as much as he did.

there are people who go do it all for you... they take your photo in advance and bring it to the office... my friend paid them to do it because he didnt want to spend a day or two bored to death..... but the price was ridiculous IMO, i wont pay as much as he did.

how much.

how much.

was quoted 18k recently

under 10k id consider reasonable.... around 5-7k or something like that.... but 18k is just absurd.

apparently it used to cost very little, as low as 3k from some people that i talked to.... but things have really tightened up after the coup, so accordingly the prices for these sorts of services have also gone way up, and some people just stopped doing it entirely.

how much.

was quoted 18k recently

under 10k id consider reasonable.... around 5-7k or something like that.... but 18k is just absurd.

apparently it used to cost very little, as low as 3k from some people that i talked to.... but things have really tightened up after the coup, so accordingly the prices for these sorts of services have also gone way up, and some people just stopped doing it entirely.

Hi mate would u mind to pm me the contact who can do it for 18k please thank you.....im from malaysia drove my benz in got a 6 month customs clearance and just bought a Pickup and was told i needed a thai drivers license

Hope u could assist me with the contact if u dont mind

Cheers!!!!

Your expired home license would have nothing to do with this procedure. The instructions I gave you are for someone who doesn't have a Thai license already like yourself. Your expired overseas license plays no role and not worth even showing it in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Also, when I did mine a couple of years ago I was told I could find someone outside the test building in the parking lot who would do it for 3,500 Baht, but I didn't even bother looking into it. I just bit the bullet and suffered through it all and got it done myself. Empowering not to fall pray to greasing the system. Prefer doing things by the book. Those prices of close to 20,000 Baht people are quoting now is even more reason not to pay and support a corrupt system.

Not doubting you as I know anything is possible in Thailand BUT staff of the Transport office now take the photo"s of the drivers/riders on-site so I cannot see how someone can take a photo in advance ( unless the staff are in on the scam)

Empowering not to fall pray to greasing the system. Prefer doing things by the book.

lol.... i dont feel empowered at all by sitting through hours of stupid videos and waiting in queues all day for some inefficient gov office.

i like the greasing system a lot better.... *when* its a reasonable cost.... but considering what ive been quoted, ill have to do it the "right" way

Not doubting you as I know anything is possible in Thailand BUT staff of the Transport office now take the photo"s of the drivers/riders on-site so I cannot see how someone can take a photo in advance ( unless the staff are in on the scam)

For sure they are in on the arrangement. That's how the system works. Without cooperation from the inside in this country then there isn't a system. Also, department of land transport has been shooting you photo on site when you get your license for close to 10 years or longer. I got my first license here over 20 years ago, but stopped having to bring a photo with me to renew shortly after I got the first license. So maybe it's been 15 years already that they take their own photos. Can't remember exactly. But this new and large increase in tea money fees seems like a recent development. Which proves the fact that just because they shoot your photo that it does not prohibit there being a corrupt system in place as there often is when someone is willing to pay a sizable fee to something done the "easy way".

I agree though, often trying to do things "the right" way in this country can be a pain in the arse and sometimes it's more practical to pay a little extra for "express service". But there are also times I get fed up with condoning corruption, especially if I feel they are trying to take the piss, and that is why I had decided to do it "the right" way when I did mine. To each his own though.

how much.

was quoted 18k recently

Hi mate would u mind to pm me the contact who can do it for 18k please thank you.....im from malaysia drove my benz in got a 6 month customs clearance and just bought a Pickup and was told i needed a thai drivers license

Cheers!!!!

To get a Thai driving licence the LEGAL way costs 200b and a half day or day of your time... If you have a Malaysian driving licence you may be able to get a driving licence based on that!

For sure they are in on the arrangement. That's how the system works. Without cooperation from the inside in this country then there isn't a system. Also, department of land transport has been shooting you photo on site when you get your license for close to 10 years or longer. I got my first license here over 20 years ago, but stopped having to bring a photo with me to renew shortly after I got the first license. So maybe it's been 15 years already that they take their own photos. Can't remember exactly. But this new and large increase in tea money fees seems like a recent development. Which proves the fact that just because they shoot your photo that it does not prohibit there being a corrupt system in place as there often is when someone is willing to pay a sizable fee to something done the "easy way".

I agree though, often trying to do things "the right" way in this country can be a pain in the arse and sometimes it's more practical to pay a little extra for "express service". But there are also times I get fed up with condoning corruption, especially if I feel they are trying to take the piss, and that is why I had decided to do it "the right" way when I did mine. To each his own though.

I don't doubt what you say, but that is not the case in the area"s that I have lived. They started taking their own photo"s about 6 years ago.

how much.

was quoted 18k recently

Cheers!!!!

To get a Thai driving licence the LEGAL way costs 200b and a half day or day of your time... If you have a Malaysian driving licence you may be able to get a driving licence based on that!

I paid 500 Baht for my last two Thai licenses. Seems your Intel may be outdated. Also, cost of a doctor's medical certificate (now required) from a local medical clinic will cost at least 200 Baht.

You will still have to pay these fees whether you are converting an international drivers license from another country or not.

I also do not believe that you can convert a regular driving license from another country, even from a bordering country like Malaysia to a Thai driving license. It must be an international driving license from another country, any country in fact, and it must be valid and not expired. These have been the same rules for well over 20 years.

Also, when I first converted my international driving license to a Thai driving license over 20 years ago, all I was required to do was an "eye test" to simply determine if I was color blind or not.

Now there are two different eye tests required as well as a braking reaction test. All of these tests are required for any new license, license conversion, or license renewal.

how much.

was quoted 18k recently

Cheers!!!!

I paid 500 Baht for my last two Thai licenses. Seems your Intel may be outdated. Also, cost of a doctor's medical certificate (now required) from a local medical clinic will cost at least 200 Baht.

You will still have to pay these fees whether you are converting an international drivers license from another country or not.

I also do not believe that you can convert a regular driving license from another country, even from a bordering country like Malaysia to a Thai driving license. It must be an international driving license from another country, any country in fact, and it must be valid and not expired. These have been the same rules for well over 20 years.

Fair enough but 200 or 500b it's still loads cheaper than 18-20,000baht..no?

^ Yes, for sure. Agreed. But the part about being able to convert a regular Malaysian driving license to a Thai drivers license to avoid the written test and the road test I don't think is the case. Did you get this information from department of land transport?

^ Yes, for sure. Agreed. But the part about being able to convert a regular Malaysian driving license to a Thai drivers license to avoid the written test and the road test I don't think is the case. Did you get this information from department of land transport?

nope. It was just a suggestion.. You can do it on a UK licence (without an IDP) AT least you could in early 2014. Edited by casualbiker

I would be surprised if that is correct either about converting a regular UK license.

I just read this on one site providing requirements for applying for a Thai driving license:

Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).

Also, on the USA Embassy site it says this:

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver’s License...

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//driving_in_thailand.html

I would be surprised if that is correct either about converting a regular UK license.

I just read this on one site providing requirements for applying for a Thai driving license:

Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).

Also, on the USA Embassy site it says this:

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver’s License...

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//driving_in_thailand.html

Well. My mate did it at our local land transport office early 2014. This is Thailand!!!

Currently you can use a Thai driving licence in the UK without an IDP.

Edited by casualbiker

Great. But I'm not sure I would suggest to other people that this is a standard now. He might have just gotten lucky and found someone asleep at the wheel. I don't think the laws have changed, but still good for him.

All you need is a certified translation of your current home country license and you can get a thai license, no need to do the theory or practical tests.

No need for an international license.

lol... you sure about that?

that would mean 1000s of other foreigners are taking tests and waiting in lines for no reason