4TH JULY CELEBRATION

jarhead50200

"The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it."

And to qualify the statement; including from those that don't go but are so jealous that they want to ruin it for everyone. That's the real shame. Pretty sad.

I'm curious why you assume that people discussing the high cost of the event are jealous?

Jealous of what? Very few expats are so destitute that if they really 'wanted' to attend they could come up with the cash. I suggest that they, as well as myself, simply don't consider it worth the cost. I don't see how this 'ruins' anything for anyone! Perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic...

I'm sure the food is excellent, the music nice, and the games entertaining, but to me, it's not how I wish to spend my money or my time. I'm certainly not jealous of those who do. As NancyL has told us, there are some 10,000 Americans in Chiang Mai. What percentage of them will think it's worth the money? Apparently it was necessary to hire an Australian band as well as a Thai band to draw in people of other nationalities. From this, do we infer than not enough Americans would come? And if so, why not? Are all the ones who don't want to come 'jealous' of those who do? Somehow, I doubt it.

Or you could infer that there aren't very many acceptable bands in Chiang Mai that play the style of music that appeals to the target audience. That'd be my guess.

And a good guess it would be, too. One always needs to consider the target audience.

Of course, a ways back in this thread NancyL said:

"....this isn't just a party for Americans. The headline band is Aussie John. The Master of Ceremonies is from the U.K., the opening bank is from a Thai Rotary Club. It's truly a party for all nations. "

... and so, safe to infer that not enough Americans would come to cover the costs. There certainly are more than enough good bands to choose in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just American bashing again. And yes all of us Americans remember we whipped the British,the most highly advanced army in the world. That's why we party our butts off

I believe the Vietnamese party their butts off on 15 August every year, for much the same reasons.

"The real shame is that one of these years I might get tired of subsidizing this event with all the bitching and moaning that goes on around it."

And to qualify the statement; including from those that don't go but are so jealous that they want to ruin it for everyone. That's the real shame. Pretty sad.

I'm curious why you assume that people discussing the high cost of the event are jealous?

Jealous of what? Very few expats are so destitute that if they really 'wanted' to attend they could come up with the cash. I suggest that they, as well as myself, simply don't consider it worth the cost. I don't see how this 'ruins' anything for anyone! Perhaps you are being a bit melodramatic...

I'm sure the food is excellent, the music nice, and the games entertaining, but to me, it's not how I wish to spend my money or my time. I'm certainly not jealous of those who do. As NancyL has told us, there are some 10,000 Americans in Chiang Mai. What percentage of them will think it's worth the money? Apparently it was necessary to hire an Australian band as well as a Thai band to draw in people of other nationalities. From this, do we infer than not enough Americans would come? And if so, why not? Are all the ones who don't want to come 'jealous' of those who do? Somehow, I doubt it.

There is nothing wrong and there is no shame for someone who can't afford something. ThaiVisa gets deeper than that. It is just not about discussing the price here. Sorry that you were tossed into that bag.

Actually after listening to some of the comments about doing dinner and not drinking it became evident to me that maybe we could do tickets w/o beverages included. Maybe next year. There is probably nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with constructive criticism and each year we have tried to make the event better, more manageable and enjoyable.

We tried somethings last year that worked well and some that did not and this year we are trying a new format. We tried some things in the past including trying to do the big cheap back yard BBQ and that did not work. We tried letting everyone in to order a burger and that did not work either. We're just trying to figure it out here and do the best thing that we can do so.

The idea is to come out. Have a good time. Doesn't have to be all-American and a lot of nationalities come. Enjoy the 4th.

Dave

This is a forum for members to post so if anyone doesn’t want replies they should advertise on mediums such as print media or blaring from loudspeakers on trucks where they’ll not be able to hear the comments.

My responses to comments directed at me:

jarhead:
“dam, with your knowledge you could put everyone out of business, i cant wait to come to your event, can i sit in the vip section????”

That is your reply my posting concluding with “I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.”

Did you not see that I said “not make a business rivalry”?? Anyway I am not in business here, have any interest to nor have I ever suggested I want to be.

northern john:
“With your background in the industry and economics does it not make a difference when you give a 1,000 baht seat away for nothing?”

If in fact there is limited seating a 3 yr old can share a seat with a parent if their discount stipulates but as there is a large garden area it probably won't be necessary.

“With all due respect where are these other events. I may be wrong but if they are put on by a business would not making money be there first concern before making it a family affair.”

Since the hosts states “I might get tired of subsidizing this event “ according to him it’s not a venture for making money so no that is not.

Also it is advertised as “A destination for friends and family to get together and share”.

theDukes:

Along with what I already mentioned.

“Do the math here”

Don’t have to do the math as others have already pointed out some of the flaws in your arithmetic such as costs should be figured in real costs.
For example, evenstevens asked (which you didn’t answer) “god stone the crows, 2 amercian craft beers at 200 baht a pop, say it is your wholesale price , as it is in your costs breakdown”

As for the service fee, I figure it was 30,000 bht so without even knowing how many staff or if it’s in addition to the wages, that’s extremely generous.

Security 15,0000 bht, not disputing the figure but would be interested to know how it breaks down too.

northernjohn mentions me in this post “Or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit. Ask JC he is an expert in the field how much is a fair profit and how much will Dave make after all the freebees.”

As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers? I’d like to point out that previously Dave said “I'd love to not lose money for 1 year” so the answer might be he will be making nothing. As for “after all the freebies” that adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there :) ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

I do want to conclude that I did enjoy the 4th of July party I went to at The River Market (even it I’m not exactly sure what year it was) and planned on coming again to this years.

My OP in this thread (post #4)
“Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?” which I was referring to my just turned 3 yrs. old kindergarten boy was just a simple question that I thought not only of myself but other’s might be interested in knowing.

Appleton: As the flyer on the first page states, kids' tickets are 1/2 price.
Yes but it doesn’t say what is considered a kid, would a mother with twin 3 mnt olds pay 1200 for them alone?

Maybe even more parents would attend if they knew too depending on the answer. Meant to be harmless, wasn’t any reflection on the ticket price or implication that it was too expensive for what was listed on the ad you get for it.

My Mother taught me “It never hurts to ask”.

This is a forum for members to post so if anyone doesn’t want replies they should advertise on mediums such as print media or blaring from loudspeakers on trucks where they’ll not be able to hear the comments.

jarhead:

“dam, with your knowledge you could put everyone out of business, i cant wait to come to your event, can i sit in the vip section????”

That is your reply my posting concluding with “I feel that community on the whole wanted to spend the day celebrating together (not make it a business rivalry) so it is a shame that it's not really possible for many families anymore to attend, that's more the point.”

Did you not see that I said “not make a business rivalry”?? Anyway I am not in business here, have any interest to nor have I ever suggested I want to be.

northern john:

“With your background in the industry and economics does it not make a difference when you give a 1,000 baht seat away for nothing?”

If in fact there is limited seating a 3 yr old can share a seat with a parent if their discount stipulates but as there is a large garden area it probably won't be necessary.

“With all due respect where are these other events. I may be wrong but if they are put on by a business would not making money be there first concern before making it a family affair.”

Since the hosts states “I might get tired of subsidizing this event “ according to him it’s not a venture for making money so no that is not.

Also it is advertised as “A destination for friends and family to get together and share”.

theDukes:

“Do the math here”

Don’t have to do the math as others have already pointed out some of the flaws in your arithmetic such as costs should be figured in real costs.

For example, evenstevens asked (which you didn’t answer) “god stone the crows, 2 amercian craft beers at 200 baht a pop, say it is your wholesale price , as it is in your costs breakdown”

As for the service fee, I figure it was 30,000 bht so without even knowing how many staff or if it’s in addition to the wages, that’s extremely generous.

Security 15,0000 bht, not disputing the figure but would be interested to know how it breaks down too.

northernjohn mentions me in this post “Or better still don't attack the host because he is going to make a profit. Ask JC he is an expert in the field how much is a fair profit and how much will Dave make after all the freebees.”

As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers? I’d like to point out that previously Dave said “I'd love to not lose money for 1 year” so the answer might be he will be making nothing. As for “after all the freebies” that adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there smile.png ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

I do want to conclude that I did enjoy the 4th of July party I went to at The River Market (even it I’m not exactly sure what year it was) and planned on coming again to this years.

“Anybody know if they are charging for very young kids, kindergarten age?” which I was referring to my just turned 3 yrs. old kindergarten boy was just a simple question that I thought not only of myself but other’s might be interested in knowing.

Yes but it doesn’t say what is considered a kid, would a mother with twin 3 mnt olds pay 1200 for them alone?

Maybe even more parents would attend if they knew too depending on the answer. Meant to be harmless, wasn’t any reflection on the ticket price or implication that it was too expensive for what was listed on the ad you get for it.

I spoke with my friend who is in my opinion the same as you an expert in the field having owned his own quality Restaurant plus many outlets on campuses also served a couple of years as an executive chef. He figures that more than likely with all the freebees and overhead plus the fact that the food is quality. (he eats there lots when he is in town) That Dave may just wind up with promotional value.

Be that as it may be I did ask you what a fair profit would be. As a former owner setting up an affair like this what would you expect to be a fair profit. 5% 10% 15%?

I have no idea why people can not set up there own affairs and make them family affairs by inviting other families over to a barbeque bring their own food and drinks. Chip in and buy some fireworks. That would be a real family affair and need no licensing. When I was a kid the whole neighborhood got together and did it. When I first mentioned do it your self I was not talking about charging money that was another poster that brought that in. One who seemed concerned about the cost to a family.

Seems to me if the 18,000 American figure is true or even the 10,000 one that would not be a problem. Would not be surprised if some were doing it. Just not announcing it as they don't have the room.

I did not give my professional opinion that Dave will only receive promotional value.

I only quoted Dave who wrote “I might get tired of subsidizing this event “ and surmised "according to him it’s not a venture for making money so no that is not."

I did answer you question about what a fair profit would be saying "As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers?"

And on a later post Dave said he's "subsidizing this event" so profit is a mute point at this point but the worth of goodwill is priceless :)

(if you want to discuss the restaurant buisness I'd be happy to on PM as it might be deleted as off-topic because it can get rather involved with loss leaders, opportunity costs, purchasing discounts etc. many which honestly I don't know how apply to this marketplace)

And as you bring up freebies again I'll quote myself "adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there smile.png ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

Remember, a sizable portion of the tickets aren't sold at 1200 baht, but at 1000 baht to members of CEC and VFW and their family members. Plus, there's the freebie meal tickets for the band members, people running the games and helping to keep the event on track. Some of those people are there from start-to-finish and hit that buffet line several times. Be sure to put those numbers into your spreadsheets when you're cranking the numbers for Dave.

jarhead:

northern john:

theDukes:

“Do the math here”

As for fair profit it all depends on what your goal is, maximize profits or do something to support your home away from home local community and customers? I’d like to point out that previously Dave said “I'd love to not lose money for 1 year” so the answer might be he will be making nothing. As for “after all the freebies” that adults are paying 1200 bht ea. (the Free dictionary by Farlex on the internet (see what I did there smile.png ) defines Freebie as “something provided without charge”)

After reading this crap for numerous days, and yes thank you for all the experts, complainers and whiners I have only concluded that you have a sense of entitlement and ego's that no one satisfy, and all you great talkers what are you doing, yes. I see you still just talking and not doing nothing, that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?

Yes when you do have one of these events I will support you by buying at 1200baht ticket to set at your VIP table, put up or shut up all you geniuses and leave the people alone who are trying to so something here in chiang mai other than running their mouths and doing zilch. Lets put it this way, if I put this on I would charge 1200-1500baht to keep out the rifraff and compensate me for having to listen to whiners and complainers and geniuses that all they do is talk, talk, talk, talk, etc.. Have a nice day and git away from your secluded little room and go out and get some sun and get a life and let David live his.

After reading this crap for numerous days, and yes thank you for all the experts, complainers and whiners I have only concluded that you have a sense of entitlement and ego's that no one satisfy, and all you great talkers what are you doing, yes. I see you still just talking and not doing nothing, that is why a lot of good folks think that this forum is for the secluded and frustrated many individuals that post on here and you sit at your little computers all day and just talk and talk and talk and not do nothing. Is thaivisa the only place that you have a captive audience? Will other people give you the time of day to listen to your whining?

Yes when you do have one of these events I will support you by buying at 1200baht ticket to set at your VIP table, put up or shut up all you geniuses and leave the people alone who are trying to so something here in chiang mai other than running their mouths and doing zilch. Lets put it this way, if I put this on I would charge 1200-1500baht to keep out the rifraff and compensate me for having to listen to whiners and complainers and geniuses that all they do is talk, talk, talk, talk, etc.. Have a nice day and git away from your secluded little room and go out and get some sun and get a life and let David live his.

After reading your crap, I hope there's a massive thunder storm when fireworks are ready to be lit, & it's a washout. Som nam na... laugh.png

Remember, a sizable portion of the tickets aren't sold at 1200 baht, but at 1000 baht to members of CEC and VFW and their family members. Plus, there's the freebie meal tickets for the band members, people running the games and helping to keep the event on track. Some of those people are there from start-to-finish and hit that buffet line several times. Be sure to put those numbers into your spreadsheets when you're cranking the numbers for Dave.

Now, come to think of it, it does sound odd that the CEC and VFW members (and their families) can get in at a discount?

Are you saying the volunteers are heavy browsers?! Or boozers? How many beer and wine tickets do they get ?!

And the fuzzy rationale about inviting all nationalities for a national day of a particular foreign country.

If people want to have a party, that's fine. Have a party. Pay what it costs! Everyone, same price. Dave deserves a profit: his place. (Although he does seem a bit cheap with the tip for his staff on what might be for them quite an exhausting afternoon and evening. Not something I'd feature if I were washing pots and pans, but I suppose it is supplemental to whatever --- 10% service?--- he already no doubt provides all his staff.

Finally, why is it that such an annual American event should cause such a brouhaha? The Americans sound nosier than the 50,000 bhat worth of pyrotechnics which are planned. The British seem to do without it on the Queen's Birthday (but Guy Fawkes Day could be a lot more fun!). The French, on the 14th. And so on. It becomes a bit boorish. Maybe a Hallowean Party would work better! The children would probably have more fun!

After reading your crap, I hope there's a massive thunder storm when fireworks are ready to be lit, & it's a washout. Som nam na... laugh.png

One of the most bloody minded replies I have seen on Thai Visa.

I am sure it is not the feeling of most members.

I hope it is a wonderful day and night and the families and kids have a magic night without an evil wish bringing rain down on them.

One of the most bloody minded replies I have seen on Thai Visa.

I am sure it is not the feeling of most members.

I hope it is a wonderful day and night and the families and kids have a magic night without an evil wish bringing rain down on them.

The organizers shouldn't get so offensive, just because of a few criticisms. Half price for small kids? LOL. Jarhead started getting nasty. Som nam na!

Too many retired folk here who meant to get on a plane to retirement heaven Florida. but ended up in Chiang Mai.

Edited by MESmith

I mentioned that someone should not feel bad if they could not afford it but I also forgot to mention that some people just don't want to spend that kind of money. Nothing wrong there.

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event. Everything costs money. Most of the communities in the US sponsor the shows, the parades and events that go on. Big corporations give lots of money. Any ideas?

jarhead:

northern john:

theDukes:

“Do the math here”

Did you miss when I said I did put on events like this for (to quote post #22 "the party with a fireworks show, food, open bar ect, 100% of costs I payed)?

All voluntarily donations went 100% to an orphanage by the way.

I do owe northernjohn an apology, when he wrote "I spoke with my friend who is in my opinion the same as you an expert in the field having owned his own quality Restaurant"

I incorrectly read it as "who has the same opinion as you ..... He figures that more than likely with all the freebees and overhead plus the fact that the food is quality. (he eats there lots when he is in town) That Dave may just wind up with promotional value. So my response was inappropriate, sorry buddy.

NacnyL since I think that at least partially your addressing me I will also give you the respect of a reply.

"Plus, there's the freebie meal tickets for the band members, people running the games and helping to keep the event on track. Some of those people are there from start-to-finish and hit that buffet line several times. Be sure to put those numbers into your spreadsheets when you're cranking the numbers for Dave."

As the band is getting payed this is also not a "freebie" but part of their pay (on top of the budgeted 15,000 bht) There can be a staff meal, like I always provided for my employees in my restaurants or told they can only eat once etc. to cut costs.

Which brings up a point of concerning the "number crunching". A businessman has to make the numbers work, so if there is no profit when one is desired they have to either raise the price or cut the costs. I already asked about some of the expenses that seem generous. But once again i didn't receive a reply unlike myself who addresses such questions if I involve myself in a discussion.

One should be able to throw a party, with or without a profit for 300,000 bht here, especially when some of the costs are fixed, in my humble estimation.

Mapguy, usually I ignore your posts, but somehow you missed the "fine print" that CEC and VFW are "sponsors" of this event. Now think real hard about what "sponsorship" usually entails. Re-read my initial post about the contribution that CEC is making. I can't speak to the arrangement between Dave and VFW.

Now think real hard about one of the reasons you yourself have said you like living in Chiang Mai -- because it's a melting pot of so many cultures. Don't know about you, but I thoroughly enjoy the National Day Party the Swiss have on August 1st at Le Meridien (that's another high-priced event), there's St. Patrick's Day at the U.N. Irish Pub, St. David's Day, Anzac Day at the cemetery at Kanchanaburi, Remembrance Day at the Foreign Cemetery and Gymkhana Club, etc. Not to mention Loy Krathong. All celebrations and events organized by non-Americans that we've come to appreciate by living in Chiang Mai.

And no, Dave isn't giving the band and people organizing the games, etc, freebies for the beer, but many of them will be there all day and will work up an appetite. My post was mainly poking fun at those who were sharpening their pencils and trying to second-guess Dave's claim that he doesn't make any money with this event.

Dave's right -- in the U.S. sponsors and gov'ts often paid for Fourth of July events. Maybe that's why there are those who feel such an event should be free -- you know, bands playing at the band shell down by the river, kids games organized by the Rotary, free BBQ paid by business of the Chamber of Commerce, fireworks over the river at dusk. Local politicians passing out literature, shaking hands, kissing kids, asking for your vote.

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore. No nice park down by the river with a band shell and bands that will play for free, a Chamber of Commerce that will donate funds to feed a couple thousand people, a government that will fund fireworks and the politicians don't care about our vote.

Junglechef, I hope you come to the event and count noses to figure if this event really takes in 300,000 baht and look around to see if your cost estimate is in-line. It's going to be one packed restaurant if your income forecast is true.

I mentioned that someone should not feel bad if they could not afford it but I also forgot to mention that some people just don't want to spend that kind of money. Nothing wrong there.

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event. Everything costs money. Most of the communities in the US sponsor the shows, the parades and events that go on. Big corporations give lots of money. Any ideas?

Sorry, Dave, no, I don't know how you can easily replicate or simply pay for what communities and corporations (probably small as well as large) subsidize in the United States. They do it to build goodwill, just as you do.

Perhaps the reality is that this is not the States. And what American embassies and consulates have done traditionally over the years has either been overwhelmed by numbers (in Chiang Mai) or limited by security problems about which Americans seem especially to be concerned.

Are there any similar disputes about popular general holidays? Maybe I have missed them, but there are none that I can recall in this space. If you want to sell a party, like any commercial restaurant, then do it! What difference does it make if it is Loy Krathong, Easter, the Chinese New Year, the American national day or other! Charge what it costs plus appropriate profit. If people want to celebrate a national holiday otherwise, let them do it. If a restaurant wants to make a go of it, then fine, go for it!

Fireworks have been mentioned as a rationale! There are already plenty of fireworks to thrill children in Chiang Mai. Forty-five minutes worth of games? If you've got the space, that's lovely.

There's something about all this that simply doesn't seem to work or appear seemly. This ain't Kansas, Dorothy! The answer, Dave, is probably don't do it if you'd like to stay sane!

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks NancyL, hope to make it too but only to celebrate with everyone.

If it's packed, or not, I'll be sure to find you and buy you a beer so we can toast Independence Day together.

Wishing all involved a great success and Happy 4th of July to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People have gotten their knickers-in-a-knot (to use a British phrase) about the high cost of other holiday events at River Market and other "special venues". Let's see, there's Loy Krathong, Christmas and New Year's Eve that comes to mind. People want to go have parties in restaurants for these special events, yet they expect the venue to charge their regular prices for a premium experience.

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event.

It's held at a restaurant.. let people order off the menu. I think River Market did that a couple years ago? (They must have because I was there.. :) )

A band.. most pub/restaurants manage that. Fireworks clearly is an additional expense; but on a typical attendance may be possible, I don't know.

People want to go have parties in restaurants for these special events, yet they expect the venue to charge their regular prices for a premium experience.

^^^^sure in most cases i totally agree smile.png

but honestly

2 botts of amercian crafted beer at 200 baht each (total 400 baht wholesale) that is a extremely high preminium venue spread sheet cost, where your admission tickets are at 1000 baht and 1200 baht?

may i ask very politely . what brand etc etc are these amercian craft beer botts?

which will enable myself to decide whether to attend or not, many thks in advancebiggrin.png

a lovely evening to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

Dear 5 or 6 trolls,

What makes you so bloated with resentment?

Something interesting about you guys: you love to disparage anything related to The Duke’s, The River Market and Ragu.

You must be foaming at the mouth, anticipating the days coming up to July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s to lash out and trash a successful business.

If he charged 100 baht, you still would find something to bitch about.

If it were free, you still would find something to bitch about.

Look in the mirror… one of these or most will qualify you as the bitter ex-pat in Chiang Mai and prolific posters in ThaiVisa.

You are drowning in animosity and resentment

You desire to make someone else suffer

You are full of vindictiveness

You wade in self-pity

You are always looking for a fight

You have sociopathic pride

You are narcissistic

Happy 4th of July!

Very typical TVCM. I can't believe that people are practically asking to see his books. The Rivermarket is a business, he's making a huge effort to do what no-one else is prepared to do and organise a party for Independence Day. He makes a decision as to what he will charge, if you agree with his price you go, if you don't, you can organise your own party or do whatever suits you. It's not a public service and he isn't accountable to you all. Personally, although I don't know Dave very well, I know enough about him to admire his professionalism and hard work.

When all is said and done, I'm sure it will be a memorable event for most that go and as for the habitual complainers, who cares what they think? Wallow in your misery if it makes you happy, but let those that are busy enjoying life get on with it, without having to share your negativity.

By the way,I was trying to explain to a new guy in town what some of the local expats are like and how there is an element of miserable moaners who can't wait to let us know how unhappy they are and I suggested he look at TVCM. This topic has it all, he just needs to read this and he's up to date.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I think the trolls are somewhat understandable, or at least to be expected; it's not every day that people propose in all seriousness to spend 3,600 Baht with the wife and kids on a night at a restaurant.

Then in response to those trolls, some think this must be due to America bashing, or general resentment / negativity.

Sure, any business can propose anything at any price, and you're right that people could just ignore it without comment, and not question the value proposition just because it's a culturally significant day for one nationality. That's not the nature of this forum though.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'd love to see a big free and/or cheap event. Maybe some of the people here can come up with ways to fund such an event.

It's held at a restaurant.. let people order off the menu. I think River Market did that a couple years ago? (They must have because I was there.. smile.png )

A band.. most pub/restaurants manage that. Fireworks clearly is an additional expense; but on a typical attendance may be possible, I don't know.

Yes, a few years ago they tried what you proposed -- order off the menu, fireworks, band and minimal security. The place was pretty wide open. No ticket sales.

As a result, people came, sat in the chairs and ordered nothing. Even drank the free water. Lots of them.

Edited by NancyL