Problems at Swampy today..

Good evening !

I have O-A visa multiple entry. I'm due to make my Yearly report 12th of July. Came back tonight from Seam Reap. The immigration told me that my visa had expired ! I didn't understand a thing. Have traveled before

You get one Year no problem. They talked about that I must have a re-entry visa. How can O-A visa expire if You have fulfilled the requirements ? They gave me a month. They have never talked about about re-entry visa, isn't that what O-A visa is for? Have I missed something here ? Thanks for any comments...

Thanks for answering nkped. Non-immigrant O-A. The usual : issue date etc. It struck me now, I have to leave once a Year right ? Otherwise it's void ? Because it was over a Year since i left Thailand...

Your O-A visa being valid for multiple entries, it allowed you to make an unlimited number of entries into Thailand until the "ENTER BEFORE" date indicated on the visa. It appears that your last arrival in Thailand was after that date.

See also this notice of the Immigration Bureau:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/content/visaxpiredate.html

Regarding the re-entry permit, if your latest arrival with the O-A visa gave you permission to stay beyond the visa's "enter before" date and you leave Thailand with the intention of returning to Thailand after the visa's "enter before" date but before the expiration of the current permission to stay, you can keep this permission to stay alive by getting a re-entry permit prior to your departure.

It sounds a bit complicated, but that's how it works.

what yearly report are you talking about, if here on a 1 year permission to stay stamp, then you would need to do 90 day address reports,

what is the use by date of your 0 'A'. or on what date was it issued in your home country.

during the second year permission to stay stamp a re-entry permit is required for any trips out the county, if re-entry date is after the magic use by date of the visa, all visa's have an expiry date.

Edited by steve187

Did you have a OA visa you obtained at an embassy or consulate?. Or are you calling a one year extension of stay you applied for at an immigration office a OA visa?

If you had a OA visa and you tried entering after the enter before date you needed a re-entry permit to keep you last one year entry valid.

If an extension you needed a re-entry permit to keep it valid.

• Like 1

In order to stay longer on your O-A Visa you would have needed to get a retirement extension at an immigration office in Thailand anyway. You can do that now by applying for a change of visa for the purpose of retirement extension. So basically, it's not a problem for you anyway. However, once your extension is granted you will need a re-entry permit to leave.

Did you have a OA visa you obtained at an embassy or consulate?. Or are you calling a one year extension of stay you applied for at an immigration office a OA visa?

If you had a OA visa and you tried entering after the enter before date you needed a re-entry permit to keep you last one year entry valid.

This is of interest to me.

I have a one-year O-A multiple-entry visa issued at London on 6th August 2014. The use before date is 5th August 2015. I used the visa to enter Thailand on 13th August 2014.

I left the Kingdom on 4th February 2015 to visit Vietnam, returning on 17th February 2015. I was admitted to 16th February 2016.

I intend to take a trip to Laos in July 2015, returning 3rd August 2015. I anticipate being stamped in (all being well) until 2nd August 2016.

As my visa will expire on 5th August 2015, I understand I will need a re-entry permit if I leave and re-enter the country between 5th August 2015 and 2nd August 2016.

Have I got this correct? I really do no want any unforseen surprises at the airport when I re-enter Thailand on 3rd August 2015.

Many thanks for any clarifications on this matter.

Edited by vitp4145

This is of interest to me.

I have a one-year O-A multiple-entry visa issued at London on 6th August 2014. The use before date is 5th August 2015. I used the visa to enter Thailand on 13th August 2014.

I left the Kingdom on 4th February 2015 to visit Vietnam, returning on 17th February 2015. I was admitted to 16th February 2016.

I intend to take a trip to Laos in July 2015, returning 3rd August 2015. I anticipate being stamped in (all being well) until 2nd August 2016.

As my visa will expire on 5th August 2015, I understand I will need a re-entry permit if I leave and re-enter the country between 5th August 2015 and 2nd August 2016.

Have I got this correct? I really do no want any unforseen surprises at the airport when I re-enter Thailand on 3rd August 2015.

Many thanks for any clarifications on this matter.

You have it correct.

Bobo & Crew....'

Think of needing TWO Visas for Thailand. One supports the other. You get your visa FIRST from Laos or

Malayasia or Cambodia. Not within Thailand. Most generally, this is a Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Then you get an annual extension of this visa, called a "Long Term Retirement." Then you need to get a RE-Entry PERMIT to protect this visa. Both have to be renewed 21 days PRIOR to expiration date.

You are lucky, in a way. Your annual one year is up in July. I have seen punters screw up their fresh visa by NOT OBTAINING a re-entry stamp. For single use, it is 1,000b for multiple entry, it is 3800b. Again...keep in mind a TWIN VISA system.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last.

You O-A is kaput. You will need to do a visa run to Vientiane to obtain a double entry Non Immigrant O good for 60 days.

Do not dally. You will then need to arrange all the paperwork for a Long Term Retirement Visa and THEN obtain your re-entry permit.

Happy Travels....

Bobo & Crew....'

Think of needing TWO Visas for Thailand. One supports the other. You get your visa FIRST from Laos or

Malayasia or Cambodia. Not within Thailand. Most generally, this is a Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Then you get an annual extension of this visa, called a "Long Term Retirement." Then you need to get a RE-Entry PERMIT to protect this visa. Both have to be renewed 21 days PRIOR to expiration date.

You are lucky, in a way. Your annual one year is up in July. I have seen punters screw up their fresh visa by NOT OBTAINING a re-entry stamp. For single use, it is 1,000b for multiple entry, it is 3800b. Again...keep in mind a TWIN VISA system.

You O-A is kaput. You will need to do a visa run to Vientiane to obtain a double entry Non Immigrant O good for 60 days.

Do not dally. You will then need to arrange all the paperwork for a Long Term Retirement Visa and THEN obtain your re-entry permit.

Happy Travels....

You clearly have no idea about the difference between a visa and an extension of stay.

Visas are not extended

What on Earth is a "double entry Non-O" ? You are making up visas as you go along !!

• Like 1

Wrong.

You can apply for a new extension and re entry permit right up to the very last day if you want.

Bobo & Crew....'

Happy Travels....

"Then you get an annual extension of this visa, called a "Long Term Retirement."

And even after all this discussion you continue with the erroneous notion that one can extend a visa and you invent names for things that do not exist.

When it's time to apply for an extension, you are seeking an extension of STAY based on retirement. The O-A is kaput when the "enter before" date has passed. His permission to stay or extension of stay was kaput when he tried to return without a re-entry permit.

to obtain a double entry Non Immigrant O good for 60 days.

Wow. A "double entry non-imm O good for 60 days" and a "a Long Term Retirement Visa" from an immigration office. Amazingly wrong.

• Like 2

Thai visa requirements are confusing for those not used to the "gotchas."

No, I did not make up "60 day double entry." Why don't you check with Vietiane Thai Embassy.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed inflammatory comments

I have had O-A Multiple entry Visa's for more than 12 years without problem. If you do not leave the country every three months (allowed by this Visa) then you must report to the Immigration Office each three months. Perhaps you did not do this ? I have never required a re-entry stamp.

I have had O-A Multiple entry Visa's for more than 12 years without problem. If you do not leave the country every three months (allowed by this Visa) then you must report to the Immigration Office each three months. Perhaps you did not do this ? I have never required a re-entry stamp.

If you have a Multi O you don't 'report' to Imm' office , you leave Thailand and re-enter to start the next 90 days on your VISA.

So you have returned to your home country to obtain a police clearance, medical, proof of the equivalent of 800,000 baht and a new visa at least six times?

No, I did not make up "60 day double entry." Why don't you check with Vietiane Thai Embassy.

A non-o visa gives a 90 day entry. I think you calling a 2 entry tourist visa a non-o visa.

As mentioned by others there were many errors in your post.

• Like 1

If you have a Multi O you don't 'report' to Imm' office , you leave Thailand and re-enter to start the next 90 days on your VISA.

1. A multi-entry O/A visa gives a ONE YEAR permission to stay ! If the holder of an O/A visa stays in Thailand for more than 90 days they would make a 90 day report to immigration.

2. A multiple entry "O" visa only provides for stays of up to 90 days !

Two very different visas !

Edited by nzexpat

overherebc you are incorrect, for other poster who are not sure of the correct use/terminology of O visa's here are the facts.

Non immigrant O 'A' visas are normally issued only by home country embassy and valid for 1 year, giving a permission to stay stamp of 1 year on arrival,throughout the validity of the visa. 90 day reports of address to local immigration office are required. Once the valid to/use by date is reached, then a re-entry permit will be required to preserve the permission to stay stamp, if any trips out of the country are taken. ( it is best to do a border run just prior to expiry date of the visa to get 2 years out of the visa)

Non immigrant O visa multi entry are issued by embassy/ consulates and valid for 1 year, giving a 90 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, no need to attend local immigration office.

Non immigrant O visa single entry give a one time entry of 90 days. the visa is then used and is no longer of any use. multi entry visas are used and of no further use once the use by/expiry date has passed.

All entries on a non immigrant O visa can be extended at local immigration offices for reason of retirement or Thai spouse. this is an extension of the permission to stay stamp and not an extension of the visa, which can not be extended. They are not visa's but are in fact an extension of stay

I hope this post help to clear up the terminology for the not so well informed

edit sorry if others posted whilst i was typing one fingered

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

These threads almost always start with a simple question and then hilarity ensues as every self-proclaimed expert weighs in with completely bogus information.

I've said it before but kudos to ubonjoe for having the patience to answer the same questions over and over again as well as having the patience to maintain order in the cell block.

• Like 1

Wrong.

You can apply for a new extension and re entry permit right up to the very last day if you want.

So just to clarify your comment Lite Beer ....

I have a 1 year non '0' visa based on retirement and a multiple re-entry permit.

Both have the date valid until & permitted to stay up to 26 Oct 2015.

Question , On 25 Oct I can go to immigration and get a new 1 year extension of stay to continue with my non ' O ' ( based on retirement ) and a multiple re-entry permit .. ?

I can get both of these at the same time .. ? right up to the valid / expire date ... ( not 21 days before ) ?

Thanks.

wai2.gif

Wrong.

So just to clarify your comment Lite Beer ....

I have a 1 year non '0' visa based on retirement and a multiple re-entry permit.

Both have the date valid until & permitted to stay up to 26 Oct 2015.

Question , On 25 Oct I can go to immigration and get a new 1 year extension of stay to continue with my non ' O ' ( based on retirement ) and a multiple re-entry permit .. ?

I can get both of these at the same time .. ? right up to the valid / expire date ... ( not 21 days before ) ?

Thanks.

wai2.gif

Yes you can.

There has never been a 21 day rule for extensions. There was once a 21 day rule for applying for a conversion to a non immigrant visa but hat has been changed to 15 days.

• Like 2

overherebc you are incorrect, for other poster who are not sure of the correct use/terminology of O visa's here are the facts.

Non immigrant O 'A' visas are normally issued only by home country embassy and valid for 1 year, giving a permission to stay stamp of 1 year on arrival,throughout the validity of the visa. 90 day reports of address to local immigration office are required. Once the valid to/use by date is reached, then a re-entry permit will be required to preserve the permission to stay stamp, if any trips out of the country are taken. ( it is best to do a border run just prior to expiry date of the visa to get 2 years out of the visa)

Non immigrant O visa multi entry are issued by embassy/ consulates and valid for 1 year, giving a 90 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, no need to attend local immigration office.

Non immigrant O visa single entry give a one time entry of 90 days. the visa is then used and is no longer of any use. multi entry visas are used and of no further use once the use by/expiry date has passed.

All entries on a non immigrant O visa can be extended at local immigration offices for reason of retirement or Thai spouse. this is an extension of the permission to stay stamp and not an extension of the visa, which can not be extended. They are not visa's but are in fact an extension of stay

I hope this post help to clear up the terminology for the not so well informed

edit sorry if others posted whilst i was typing one fingered

As the holder of a Multi entry O visa and I have been getting Multi O visas for the past 10 years i think you'll find my post is correct. I have never held an O A visa nor did I mention O A in my post.

OK guys here we go!

Went to immigration in Jomtien. Talked to rather nice officer. As said above, my O-A is gone down the drain.

He suggested that i applied for a non o visa and gave me a TM 86. He said You get 3 months and after that

You get a year. I check it up and we'll see how it's ends.

• Like 1

obtain a double entry Non Immigrant O good for 60 days.

A tourist visa is not a non-imm O and a non-imm O would not get you 60 days.

annual extension of this visa, called a "Long Term Retirement."

And there no long term retirement visa nor is there an extension of a visa available at immigrations.

If he entered the country on a visa exempt entry and acts quickly he could convert to a non-imm O entry at Bangkok immigrations and then before that entry ends, apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Getting a 60 day tourist visa would still mean he would need to do a conversion in Bangkok. You cannot go directly from a tourist visa entry to an extension of stay based on retirement.

Your first post is filled with errors and you're just compounding them.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1