People are happier now: Prayut

webfact

People are happier now: Prayut
THE NATION

30262412-01_big.jpg

PM TELLS AL JAZEERA THAT EVEN FOREIGNERS ARE PLEASED WITH HIS LEADERSHIP; PROMISES TO STEP DOWN IN A YEAR OR TWO

BANGKOK: -- IN A televised interview over the weekend, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said he was confident both Thais and foreigners had become happier since he came into power.

"As far as I know, people are happier than they were before. What people are happy about is that the nation is at peace and in order. For me, I am happy because I make other people happy. As for the power I have, no, I'm not happy," he said.

Prayut, who led the military seizure in May last year in his capacity as Army chief, said many foreigners had told him they were content with the current situation in Thailand.

"People from Europe, the West and superpower nations have come to visit me. They show respect and say they are happy that I'm in power. They even ask me if I can ensure that Thailand continues in this manner. I'm not lying to you," the prime minister said.

Prayut was speaking to Scott Heidler, an Asia correspondent for the Qatar-based TV station Al Jazeera, in an interview this weekend.

Prayut, who is also leader of the National Council for Peace and Order, insisted that he never considered himself as the best man to run the country, but said he took office due to circumstance.

"I had to do this because no one else would. Now, I'm trying to follow the roadmap. I'll be here only for a year or two," he said.

Since the May 22 coup, Prayut has attracted much criticism, being accused of undermining the country's democracy and curbing press freedom.

Asked to respond to the red-shirt movement's notion of how the reconciliation process is non-existent, Prayut said he has tried to be fair, but the red shirts need to be brought to justice because they are to blame.

"I am not an enemy of the red or the yellow shirts. People must stop taking sides based on colour. Be they red shirts or any other colour, they must be brought to justice because they are to blame. I'm not bullying anybody," he said.

He also cited some instances for which the red shirts are being blamed, including the burning down of provincial government buildings and shooting at officials. He said the evidence is very clear, but nobody wants to take responsibility.

Heidler pointed out that press freedom was the baseline of democracy and he asked Prayut about his notorious statement about executing journalists. The prime minister responded by saying he was just joking with the journalists and that this was the Thai sense of humour.

"Thai journalists know that I'm just joking with them. I've always been kind and compassionate, but the local media needs to be reformed and I have to advise them. I have to tell them what they can or cannot do, but I've never punished a single person from the press," he said.

Separately, in an article published in a government newsletter, Prayut said his government was promoting good governance so that the concept would take hold in Thailand.

"I am trying to rebuild the governance system," he wrote.

In the article, Prayut also said he had to work harder as there were many challenges ahead. The Department of Public Relations publishes the newsletter twice a week.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/People-are-happier-now-Prayut-30262412.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-16

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a no brainer article.

How on earth anyone could have been happier with the dark violent days of terrorists committing near daily attacks on protestors in the name of a government that refused to arrest a single person for them.

Most people don't like innocent men, women and little kids being killed by terrorists while the deaths were cheered by the 7% radical fundamentalists. Pre coup - not one arrest. Not one and democracy no where in site.

Now we have peace in Bangkok, a pathway to the first democracy Thailand will see (yes, yes, elections) and criminals being arrested for doing bad things against a majority that were previously ignored (YES< YES elections. I get it) and allowed to be killed with complete impunity by government that had no intention of arresting their own terrorist supporters who were not surprisingly run by an accused terrorist criminal leader.

So in summary we have peace, pathway to democracy and reform (3 fingers if you will) or we have an unelected accused mass murderer, accused terrorist criminal fugitive running a party that allowed terrorists to kill anyone that dared practise their democratic right to protest. (YES yes, protesting is a democratic right) while ignoring the majorities wishes on an amnesty with one hand while turning tax payers money into bio fuel with the other.

No brainer really and if I say Prayut I would be part of that 93% majority that tell him that I am happier too. My wife is happier and my kids are no longer getting intimidated and our family threatened at any university by reds that decided we were not allowed to see Ahbisit speak because he was the opposition. An opposition of which is a fundamental part of democracy. (yes, yes elections) blah,blah, blah.

Edited by djjamie

There goes a man who like to hear the sound of his own voice and beating his own

drum..... I dare him to stand in line in any immigration department and see how

happy are foreigners there,

It's funny how things turn out. Like, when I came here he was a General and looked good in his uniform. Now he's PM and wears the old time tops he doesn't look so impressive. Maybe a good Amani knock-off suit from the tailor I go to would improve his appearance.....maybe! whistling.gif

Absolutely right. 'Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that and Thais in fear of arrest and persecution tell bad-tempered autocrat who took over the country by force how happy they are.'

Thank you for pointing out the fact this article is a no brainer my dear friend and have a lovely day.

How on earth anyone could have been happier with the dark violent days of terrorists committing near daily attacks on protestors in the name of a government that refused to arrest a single person for them.

Most people don't like innocent men, women and little kids being killed by terrorists while the deaths were cheered by the 7% radical fundamentalists. Pre coup - not one arrest. Not one and democracy no where in site.

Now we have peace in Bangkok, a pathway to the first democracy Thailand will see (yes, yes, elections) and criminals being arrested for doing bad things against a majority that were previously ignored (YES< YES elections. I get it) and allowed to be killed with complete impunity by government that had no intention of arresting their own terrorist supporters who were not surprisingly run by an accused terrorist criminal leader.

So in summary we have peace, pathway to democracy and reform (3 fingers if you will) or we have an unelected accused mass murderer, accused terrorist criminal fugitive running a party that allowed terrorists to kill anyone that dared practise their democratic right to protest. (YES yes, protesting is a democratic right) while ignoring the majorities wishes on an amnesty with one hand while turning tax payers money into bio fuel with the other.

No brainer really and if I say Prayut I would be part of that 93% majority that tell him that I am happier too. My wife is happier and my kids are no longer getting intimidated and our family threatened at any university by reds that decided we were not allowed to see Ahbisit speak because he was the opposition. An opposition of which is a fundamental part of democracy. (yes, yes elections) blah,blah, blah.

I have to give you credit. You work very hard to convince yourself that this junta will be better than all the others.

I just read an ACTUAL article on Pattaya Addicts how much the hotel business is suffering. I spoke with some ACTUAL ladies of ill repute about how much business is down.

Sure PM Cha-cha, if you say so then it MUST be true . . .

blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Absolutely right. 'Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything just like that and Thais in fear of arrest and persecution tell bad-tempered autocrat who took over the country by force how happy they are.'

Thank you for pointing out the fact this article is a no brainer my dear friend and have a lovely day.

You stated: Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything JUST LIKE THAT...

I assume you are referring to innocent foreigners. Please provide a few examples. I am very interested in this because I haven't heard about it. You're not just spreading fear I hope. That would be a nasty thing to do.

Me, my family, friends and business partners are very pleased with what Prayuth is doing now. So that's a good thing.

Edited by Nickymaster

There's that 7% figure again. Any chance of you answering my question this time? Where does that figure come from and what does it represent?

Thanks TV for my daily fit of laughter cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not just from the article but from those TV posters )probably agents working for the government) who have to justify the happiness and tell a view that before them it was like the streets of Baghdad. Where the times before this government that bad? The way djjamie talks, I think he was living on another planet because I didn't see all that except disruption which if the police and army did there job would never have happened.

Also how can you measure happiness? Certainly not with one of those ridiculous Dusit polls that has as much credibility, as men living on the moon.

It would seem that if you keep telling people the same rubbish they may actually believe it. Hopefully people are not so naïve.

I have to give you credit. You work very hard to convince yourself that this junta will be better than all the others.

Thaksin and his PT party had created a breeding ground for corrupt politicians, criminals and violent protestors. The Junta has already done a lot to try to clean this up. Under PTs watch you could basically throw a hand grenade into a group of protestors. And If the protestors were anti PT protestors, Yingluck and her team didn't care and therefor wouldn't investigate the killings.

Question for ya mate,

1. If the protesters had simply waited for the next election and then thrown out the government then would this crap not have happened?

2. If a PM in OZ had openly expressed he could have reporters executed due to them asking difficult questions and latter claiming just joking, REALLY?

3. Laws being passed that reading certain books and three fingered salutes due to their connotation and being arrested is what perfectly ok?

4. Publicly calling for the return of human rights and freedom of speech is a criminal act that can land you in gaol is just fine?

5. Deputy PM giving orders to use live rounds on protesters and latter claiming that those that were injured or killed simply ran into the bullets, and that's cool also?

I know there is quiet in the streets now and it's a good thing, but sometimes the ends don't justify the means, and that goes for sides.

I just read an ACTUAL article on Pattaya Addicts how much the hotel business is suffering. I spoke with some ACTUAL ladies of ill repute about how much business is down.

All that mess in Pattaya should be shut down anyway. Those HIV alleyways are disgusting. Edited by tominbkk

Come on PM you haven't ticked all the boxes yet.

Time for giant posters of yourself in the city streets, lavish Military parades featuring perfectly synchronized goose stepping soldiers. Toss in a few disappeared dissenters.

Edited by Oziex1

You stated: Foreigners who can be slung out of the country and lose everything JUST LIKE THAT...

I assume you are referring to innocent foreigners. Please provide a few examples. I am very interested in this because I haven't heard about it. You're not just spreading fear I hope. That would be a nasty thing to do.

Me, my family, friends and business partners are very pleased with what Prayuth is doing now. So that's a good thing.

Well bully for you.

I notice you say nothing of the Thai citizenry or deny the fact the country was taken by force. Nice cherry picking. The sneaky inclusion of the word 'innocent' when it comes to what I said about foreigners is also noted.

I am not interested in playing word games with you in order for you to derail the topic.

So were the prices quoted up or down?

There's naivety and then there's delusion. Anyways, the two things I find funniest in your military-fawning diatribe:

1) "So in summary we have peace, pathway to democracy and reform (3 fingers if you will)": You realize the very government you love so much has hauled people off for attitude adjustment for showing 3 fingers.

and

2) "YES yes, protesting is a democratic right"

You realize this is currently outlawed under the government you love so much?

Pray tell, what business are you in? I'm scratching my head to think of what line of work would be happy with the current govt....

Dear Mr P.

Since you keep repeating yourself, please allow me to do the same:

" It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Pray tell, what business are you in? I'm scratching my head to think of what line of work would be happy with the current govt....

Thai silk tailors... coffee1.gif Edited by sfokevin