The mentality of drivers

Another popular Thai bashing theme that never seems to get old.

All farang good. All Thai bad. If all Thais had the mental capability of many TV posters the whole country would grind to a halt.

Seriously if you're that desperate for some reason to feel you're better about yourself, your race or nationality as a basis is a thin claim to fame and starting yet another thread that's bound to descend into a Thai bashing marathon is really getting tired.

Edited by Suradit69

All farang good. All Thai bad. If all Thais had the mental capability of many TV posters the whole country would grind to a halt.

Seriously if you're that desperate for some reason to feel you're better about yourself, your race or nationality as a basis is a thin claim to fame and starting yet another thread that's bound to descend into a Thai bashing marathon is really getting tired.

I understand you don't drive a car in Thailand.

Next

I hear you man. Ive got a theory, the most bitter ones are the farang guys who finally realise their fantasy of Thai ladies wanting them for their big willys are really just that..a BIG fantasy !!

But better give em a break, having a lifelong superiorority complex shattered like that cant be much fun for the ego :0)

Unfortunately this is a theme where the Thai Bashers are likely to be correct.

Having driven more than 15 years in Thailand I am often astonished at just how thoughtless, dangerous, selfish and self-centred some of the behaviour is.

It's quite astonishing how a nation who's people are generally known for their non-confrontational manner could become so aggressive on the road.

While currently on holiday in the UK, I am also seeing some selfish behaviour on the roads, but to a far less degree than I see in Thailand.

This isn't Thai Bashing - this is simple observation.

Consider this: It frightens me that some of the idiots I was at school with drive cars.... however, they have been trained and tested to a widely acceptable standard. What happens in Thailand ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833506-krabi-school-bus-spews-students-all-over-road-like-cabbages-video/

Edited by richard_smith237

Having driven more than 15 years in Thailand I am often astonished at just how thoughtless, dangerous, selfish and self-centred some of the behaviour is.

It's quite astonishing how a nation who's people are generally known for their non-confrontational manner could become so aggressive on the road.

While currently on holiday in the UK, I am also seeing some selfish behaviour on the roads, but to a far less degree than I see in Thailand.

Consider this: It frightens me that some of the idiots I was at school with drive cars.... however, they have been trained and tested to a widely acceptable standard. What happens in Thailand ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833506-krabi-school-bus-spews-students-all-over-road-like-cabbages-video/

What happens in Thailand? Usually if you watch the Thai drivers they drive their cars in much the same way they learned to ride their motor bikes & continue to drive that way....The conservative ones are invisible - the aggressive ones drive like they did their bikes....shooting the gaps and using the freedom of the road.....Driving among many motor bikes is not a thing I like to do - it's like a mosquito swarm + the quicker bikes make it all the more dangerous.....

Many farang drivers here - while "better trained" drive KNOWING they OWN the road wafting in an air of superiority as the Macho/force/barge their way through traffic.....haughtily taking the road and taking on and any drivers that DARE IMPEDE their existance......aggressive and menacingly - again the conservative ones are invisible.....

Think this is bad - try driving a few years in PI or India cities.....

It is not Thai bashing to point out that Thailand is about the 6th most dangerous place to drive in the whole WORLD and that is accepting Thai figures (and we all know how TAT can massage such figures in their favour.)

There does not seem to be any happy medium - Thais drive too fast or too slow (usually in the fast lane!) Add to the fact that there is too little policing at night when bikes with no lights appear like blind bats; + Asian intolerance to alcohol + Face and you have a recipe for 365 Dangerous Days every year (except in Leap Years.)

I drive a lot. Village roads, highway, city, generally in the rush hour. You just anticipate stupid actions, you keep away from motorbikes, you overtake on the left if someone is in the right hand lane, you don't assume that the motorbike on your left at the traffic lights isn't going to turn right, don't insist on overtaking everything that is moving slower than you, no abrupt manoeuvres... driving IS very different here, if you can't adjust because you don't drive much or assume that people should behave like Europeans, you will have problems. On a local forum a guy wrote that a certain route was 'hair raising'. I have driven that route a few times and didn't notice anything hair raising.

you high or something? This is an American comedian taking a a toss at American drivers. Nothing to do with bashing Thais.

Perfectly describes every single farang I have ever seen driving a fortuner.

you high or something? This is an American comedian taking a a toss at American drivers. Nothing to do with bashing Thais.

Ah, that's why you posted on Thai Visa and said it is applicable to Thais as well.

BTW, the video is correct and it is applicable worldwide. But of course you're asking for Thai bashing here.

Ah, that's why you posted on Thai Visa and said it is applicable to Thais as well.

BTW, the video is correct and it is applicable worldwide. But of course you're asking for Thai bashing here.

Butt-Hurt? LOL

Please point it out how it is "Thai Bashing"

An American Comedian Talking about American Drivers.

And yes, it is totally applicable to Thailand in not a "bashing" way. :)

Enjoy your day, sir.

When driving in Thailand, it's best to think of all the other drivers as spoiled, angry, 5 yr olds, pumped full of amphetamines, and somehow allowed to be behind the wheel.

coffee1.gif

Edited by DLang

Actually you will see some youtube videos of Thai children driving. One a few months ago was a 9 year old girl who drove around 300km in one trip.

Father was confused that it was thought of as bad, 'But she's never had an accident' he retorted.

coffee1.gif

been driving here on and off for 6 years and I can say that at least in Bangkok, drivers are more polite and respect the rules.

I see less people using the emergency lane to pass everyone.

more and more cars use the rightmost lane correctly, only for overtaking.

cars actually stop to let people across!

maybe not all is lost wai2.gif

been driving here on and off for 6 years and I can say that at least in Bangkok, drivers are more polite and respect the rules.

That's strange, cos most drivers with BKK plates visiting Chiang Mai drive like complete a-holes, with "I own the road" attitudes bah.gif

That's strange, cos most drivers with BKK plates visiting Chiang Mai drive like complete a-holes, with "I own the road"

attitudes bah.gif

+ 1 - YES THEY DO !!!!

To me it's amazing when I can walk around warorot market or siriwatanna and even totally full people don't even touch one another and completely polite. Put some behind the wheel of a car and they become aggressive and complete <deleted>. Go figure!

Today I was at the Dolphin roundabout on North Pattaya road.

They have now placed traffic lights at each direction, so they need a policeman to direct traffic.

With the policeman in the middle of the roundabout, and the pedestrian lights active, there was not a single Thai driver that stopped for the red traffic light, and the policeman didn't give an arse about it.

I entered the roundabout from 2 directions within a 30 minute period, and had the misfortune that I encountered 3 red lights. While I was each time first in line waiting at the red light ( I wonder why that was) , the taxis and other Thai drivers zoomed past me as if there was no tomorrow.

By the way, one of the pedestrian traffic light they have positioned about 30 meters AFTER the zebra crossing. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Anthony5

That's strange, cos most drivers with BKK plates visiting Chiang Mai drive like complete a-holes, with "I own the road" attitudes bah.gif

The same in Korat...Watch out for the BKK drivers, they are crazy.

raffo77, what medication are you on?coffee1.gif

I can think of a few other words but TV wont let me.

Thai drivers its all about me, me, me, me, me, They are the same with the shopping trolleys in the supermarket, double park, block isles, crash into people, it goes on & on.

This is not Thai bashing its just telling the way it is.coffee1.gif

I agree with your Bangkok driving comments, the drivers here do tend to be more polite and do seem to have a higher respect for road rules then I've witnessed outside on the highways. I've also found this driving in other major Thai urban centres as well.

Bangkok drivers are MUCH more polite then your average Aussie city driver, at least they will let you merge if you find yourself in the wrong lane for whatever reason when the traffic is bumper to bumper. Trying doing that in Brisbane and see how you go! And Brisbane drivers do seem to be the most aggressive in Australia, Sydney and Melbourne drivers don't seem to get so spastic if you need to change lanes. These are just my observations and what I have experienced driving on Aussie city roads.

The trouble in Thailand is when you get out on the highways. The PC game 'Carmageddon' from back in the 90's springs to mind... chaos is a polite term to use for the batshit crazy driving I have witnessed. When the speeds increase the potential for traffic incidents in Thailand exponentially increase compared to any western/first world country, and that is the unvarnished truth. We shouldn't be arguing about something that is so painfully obvious.

I drive a car like I ride a motorbike, DEFENSIVELY. And not just in Thailand, I drive like this everywhere. If you want to stay out of an accident you drive DEFENSIVELY. You never expect anything and are as prepared as much as possible for any potential incident on the road. And then, and only then, will you stay incident and accident free not just on Thai roads, but on any roads.

Edited by NumbNut

The same in Korat...Watch out for the BKK drivers, they are crazy.

raffo77, what medication are you on?coffee1.gif

the strongest!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say when my wife is driving my blood pressure isn't too good, a combination of her stupid driving and others. I've noticed its usually Mercedes drivers who are the biggest A holes tho.

I used to be a van courier in London and one thing I noticed straightaway driving in BKK is Thai drivers seem to have a natural 'dither' moment before making a driving decision i.e. changing lanes, unlike us foreigners who mostly react spontaneously. It means I can cut through traffic quite quickly without getting into accidents

• 2 weeks later...

So true. I have no problem driving in Thailand. If some of these farangs in Thailand had even a little bit of adaptation skills and common sense, they'd have no problem driving in Thailand. But we have so many freakin farang crybabies.

And something else, Thailand doesn't have near the road rage problems I saw back in the USA. If you want to see craziness, here's a recent road rage incident in America....

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/17/biker-road-rage-moos-pkg-erin.cnn/video/playlists/wacky-world-of-jeanne-moos/