Prayut: Thai fugitive lese majeste suspect 'not a Thai'

webfact

Prayuth: Thai Fugitive Lese Majeste Suspect 'Not a Thai'
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha has asserted that a fugitive Redshirt activist wanted by Thai authorities for insulting the monarchy is no longer a Thai citizen.

"Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said, referring to Ekapop Luera, a former student activist who says he is currently living in New Zealand to avoid prosecution for defaming the monarchy, a crime known as lese majeste.

Nevertheless, Gen. Prayuth said his government is still attempting to extradite Ekapop, but admitted that there has been no response from the New Zealand government concerning the request.

"At this moment, New Zealand has not given us any reply at all," Gen. Prayuth told reporters. "Sometimes, it's hard for [other countries] to understand when it comes to extradition, because they don't have this law. Mostly, they use human rights laws. But our country's law is our country's law."

Thailand’s lese majeste law, the harshest of its kind in the world, bans any action or comment deemed critical of the monarchy and carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1434705013

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-19

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>> "At this moment, New Zealand has not given us any reply at all," Gen. Prayuth told reporters. "Sometimes, it's hard for [other countries] to understand when it comes to extradition, because they don't have this law. Mostly, they use human rights laws. But our country's law is our country's law."<< Quote

"Mostly they have human rights laws"

Yes what a disgrace!! When we have LM and Article 44................coffee1.gif

Seriously Mr. P sometimes it is a good idea to keep the gob shut!!

>>Nevertheless, Gen. Prayuth said his government is still attempting to extradite Ekapop, but admitted that there has been no response from the New Zealand government concerning the request.<< Quote

No response from NZ, what a surprise.

Maybe it is because the NZ government believe in the freedom of speech?? (Google it Mr P)

Many countries, including the UK, have LM laws on their law books, most of them do not use them as political weapons.

The Junta's insistence of pursuing their idealogical opponents on LM charges only enhances the victim's claim for asylum. The reason they are not getting a reply from countries like New Zealand is the folk whose job it is to reply have not stopped laughing at the request.

"At this moment, New Zealand has not given us any reply at all," Gen. Prayuth told reporters. "

Please, please NZ reply, and tell the Thais to stuff their outdated and draconian LM law!!

Many countries, including the UK, have LM laws on their law books, most of them do not use them as political weapons.

The Junta's insistence of pursuing their idealogical opponents on LM charges only enhances the victim's claim for asylum. The reason they are not getting a reply from countries like New Zealand is the folk whose job it is to reply have not stopped laughing at the request.

The UK doesn't currently have a LM law. Scotland used to have one, but not anymore.

The UK does have a law about offending people, but that applies to everyone, not just royalty.

If the UK had a LM law then Spitting Image would never have been aired.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is not lawfully possible to do this, according to a UN Convention?!

...but hey, this is Thailand!facepalm.gif

Article 15.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it is not lawfully possible to do this, according to a UN Convention?!

...but hey, this is Thailand!facepalm.gif

Article 15.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality

But a simple sentence from the PM can remove someone's birthright !

"he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand"

If he no longer can stay in Thailand how does that extradition work? biggrin.png

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

my logic sector just got a shortcut.....

The UK doesn't currently have a LM law. Scotland used to have one, but not anymore.

The UK does have a law about offending people, but that applies to everyone, not just royalty.

yes other laws like for hate speech, causing civil unrest, etc. If jokes about the royal family would be illegal they would have to jail half UK.

On the other hand...what did the British Queen ever do for the people and how many people would listen when she speaks something.....

Another good example of Thais making themselves lose face to the rest of the world and being stupidly oblivious to it. The only possible reason I can see they've made such a fool of themselves is because - as usual - this story is actually purely Thai-centric (a misguided attempt at control of the Thai population still in Thailand) and the outside world is merely a tool to use or abuse as is the Buddha-given right for all Thai thugs, thieves, liars and scammers.

And another thing:

"Sometimes, it's hard for [other countries] to understand when it comes to extradition, because they don't have this law."

No sir, it's actually hard for YOU to understand that we understand and reject it because it is IMMORAL and UNCIVILIZED. It seems to be what jumped up, glorified, rice-picking peasants do as well as calling people 'farang' based on their race.

"...our country's law is our country's law."

In other words, they have no reasonable justification.

If anyone saw the speech he made attacking the monarchy they would agree he should be arrested for poor taste and lack of tact. LM laws aside.

But then that is a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law and even more predictable is his attitude towards this. He cannot simply live in NZ, he has to stir and push the Junta which is a famous RS trait that follows breaking the law.

At the end of the day he broke the law and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

So we have France, Dubai and now New Zealand as red shirt havens.

We should have bets on which country the next red shirt terrorist will hide in?

Edited by djjamie

If anyone saw the speech he made attacking the monarchy they would agree he should be arrested for poor taste and lack of tact. LM laws aside.

But then that is a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law.

He broke it and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

So we have France, Dubia and now New Zealand as red shirt havens.

You should also be arrested for encouraging members to illegally gamble, then. Yours is clearly also a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law... Edited by baboon

He broke it and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

You should also be arrested for encouraging members to illegally gamble, then. Yours is clearly also a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law...

If that is your best rebuttal I automatically win the argument.

Thank you my dear friend for admitting defeat.

Never read the speech I gather.

But then that is a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law and even more predictable is his attitude towards this. He cannot simply live in NZ, he has to stir and push the Junta which is a famous RS trait that follows breaking the law.

At the end of the day he broke the law and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

So we have France, Dubai and now New Zealand as red shirt havens.

Talking of bets, do you think we should start offering odds on when you're going to answer any questions on where you get your percentage figures from?

You should also be arrested for encouraging members to illegally gamble, then. Yours is clearly also a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law...

You didn't make any argument, you just stated your opinion. What you did do however, was encourage wagering which is against the law. End of story.

You didn't make any argument, you just stated your opinion. What you did do however, was encourage wagering which is against the law. End of story.

Goodness me my dear friend..Joining the dots was not your strong point in primary school hey?

So to spell it out AGAIN!!! My argument is he should be arrested for poor taste and lack of tact despite the LM laws...

Do you honestly not see what I was saying or are you just trying to get your post count up?

yes other laws like for hate speech, causing civil unrest, etc. If jokes about the royal family would be illegal they would have to jail half UK.

On the other hand...what did the British Queen ever do for the people and how many people would listen when she speaks something.....

You do know that the lese majeste law here also protects foreign monarchs and their Regents? :)

Well for the last 60 odd years she has been an effective and well regarded monarch, who has acted as a non political head of state. She remains a well respected, well loved even, non political leader.

I thought hard about the term leader, because I know it can be translated as Fuhrer, and that does have unfortunate connotations. But then I thought " b*ll*cks", if he is going to have a pop at Her Majesty, why not?

Edited by JAG

Is poor taste and lack of tact against the law?

An articulate rebuttal is not your strong point is it?

Send me a PM with what this guy said and tell me how it would be an acceptable speech anywhere in the world.

I bet you can't.

Send me a PM with what this guy said and tell me how it would be an acceptable speech anywhere in the world.

I bet you can't.

So the answer is no and you are talking crap as usual.

Do you think for even an instant I would have any interest in communicating with you privately for any reason whatsoever?

I bet you can't.

In the US, giving speeches about the President that are in poor taste and show lack of tact will not get you arrested, and may get you invited to repeat the performance in front of other detractors.

We're like an online forum!

Oh, consider your dumb point rebutted.