Additional Charges via Nationwide (UK)

I recently received a further charge of 15GBP on top of the 20 GBP for transferring by Nationwide. This I should add is the first time it's happened in almost 7 years tho when I enquired I was told NW use an intermediate bank (HSBC) and the additional charge was levied by them, on enquiring further I was informed this maybe a one off or not but it is out of our control. I hasten to add the charge was made 2 months after the transfer and when I pointed out that I needed to know the charges beforehand not afterwards it all came back to it's nothing to do with us!!

Since then I have searched out other options and found TransferWise, favourable rates with no intermediate bank and the exchange rate is also comparable with the TT rate at the Thai Banks.

May be worth a look, transfer can take between 3-5 days, you can also set a % default so if the rate dropped beyond your default they wouldn't transfer until it got back within the default %

By using the link below you may get your first transfer free subject to amount.

https://transferwise.com/u/322106

OP I am curious why you have created a new thread essentially about Transferwise when there is already a thread running and you have posted the same there?

Its about hidden charges by Nationwide, its not essentially about Transferwise, that is just the latest option I have found that looks favourable.

But why should you be curious, you can read it or not the option is yours.

OP I am curious why you have created a new thread essentially about Transferwise when there is already a thread running and you have posted the same there?

Its about hidden charges by Nationwide, its not essentially about Transferwise, that is just the latest option I have found that looks favourable.

Already discussed here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833070-swift-tranfer-warning/

and several other threads I can't be arsed to look up - but you are right, having read it I guess I should now just ignore it wai2.gif

Already discussed here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833070-swift-tranfer-warning/

and several other threads I can't be arsed to look up - but you are right, having read it I guess I should now just ignore it wai2.gif

If you don't use Nationwide it would be of no interest to you, its a heads up of my recent experience but you certainly seem to have a problem with it, try a good novel, you may find that more interesting.

Edited by Expattaff1308

You were luck you only got the 15 quid charge, on top of that I was charged '25' transfer fee by Tahachart when NW already charged me 20, and then Tanachart claim they never debited the 15 pounds taken last week. Used to be easy and cheap! Anyone used transferswise?

Edited by jacky54

'All done! The money should arrive by Jun 29

The final rate was 1 GBP = 53.1456 THB, and the fee charged was £29.56'

I just got this from Transferwise. I thought there were no bank charges? This is on 5K GBP.

as I understand there is no bank charges just the fee for transferring, they quoted me 14.82 for 1000 GBP, so that would be about right. You need to check the fee to see if you are happy before transfer, when you enter the amount to send and to where they show you the fee then.

I think transferwise is better for smaller amounts than larger, I only usually bring a lump of my monthly pension around 1200 a month so comparing it with my bank (20GB & any additional fees) and the better exchange rate it works in my favour ( the TT Rate at Kasikorn after reading your post is 52.68)

Edited by Expattaff1308

I just got this from Transferwise. I thought there were no bank charges? This is on 5K GBP.

as I understand there is no bank charges just the fee for transferring, they quoted me 14.82 for 1000 GBP, so that would be about right. You need to check the fee to see if you are happy before transfer, when you enter the amount to send and to where they show you the fee then.

I think transferwise is better for smaller amounts than larger, I only usually bring a lump of my monthly pension around 1200 a month so comparing it with my bank (20GB & any additional fees) and the better exchange rate it works in my favour ( the TT Rate at Kasikorn after reading your post is 52.68)

Their fee table at this link shows a 1.5% fee when converting to baht so a 14.82 pounds fee on 1000GBP works out about right based on how they do their math. But 1.5% on 5K GBP would be 75GBP...which indicates they they must have a max limit on the fee or are using around 0.5%. Guess a person needs a quote from them to be sure and to see/experience all the fine print regarding the actual fee. And when clicking the THB in their table which is suppose to take you to a page that probably gives details/fine print regarding conversion to THB it comes up with a dead link.

post-55970-0-93117600-1435385020_thumb.j

Their fee table at this link shows a 1.5% fee when converting to baht so a 14.82 pounds fee on 1000GBP works out about right based on how they do their math. But 1.5% on 5K GBP would be 75GBP...which indicates they they must have a max limit on the fee or are using around 0.5%. Guess a person needs a quote from them to be sure and to see/experience all the fine print regarding the actual fee. And when clicking the THB in their table which is suppose to take you to a page that probably gives details/fine print regarding conversion to THB it comes up with a dead link.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG