Used Car Pricing In Thailand

Thaiquila

First, get used to it: Used cars are insanely overpriced. Not just for farangs, in general.
Second, no you can't get a good car for 100k baht. No way, forget about it.
If you have some more lying around, you almost need to get a new car.

You guys are hitting pretty close to the mark! I have played phone tag with a few sellers that end up saying, "Sorry, sold!" I ran across a pristine 1995 Cefiro being sold by an old Thai guy, but I was the second on the scene and the first guy bought it! 220,000 Bt for a perfect (grandpa's baby) one owner! Check the ads, they are going for ~380,000!

I see two options and one is more of a long shot!

1) Buy that new Toyota car or pickup, get lots of options thrown in, maintain it (duh!) :o and sell or trade up every two years. A guy could actually break even doing that!

2) Keep one eye on neighbors and friends in case a good one-owner car shows up for sale. Maintain it (Duh!) :D and sell it after a year or two for a bit of profit!

Anybody here driving one of the European cars with a Toyota 1JZ (supra) engine? There are loads of them around. Saw a nice Benz the other day like that and it was also running LPG! (Not for sale!)

There is a Volvo 760 (Now a Toyota Turbo 1JZ-GTE) for sale on BMW-Society web page; 160,000 Bt.

I'm not interested, but can appreciate a pretty car that looks perfectly modded/restored. Definitely more intersting than an Altis or Jazz!

Good luck driving... and driving deals! :D

the talaadrot website is good for seeing the price of cars over time.

We picked up a 4 door 1995 suzuki vitara for 280K. It does the job. We gave it a full service at the suzuki dealership, telling them to fix anything that needed to be fixed (15K) and then got a new aircon installed (15K). So we've paid 310K for a car that runs really well. And I'm confident if anything needs replacing it can be done cheaply and well by an authorised dealer.

Thats why I'll sell it for about the same price I got it for.

Cars are not "overpriced" in Thailand that is the price that the market with all its quirks and restrictions allows. You can't import cars and compete because of protectionist duties.

If you go to any poorer country ypou will find that cars keep their value USA cars are so cheap that anyone coming here gets a surprise but this is just the market and (the government) working.

You can still buy and sell and make money even expensive doesn't mean no money to be made......and the great thing is that when you come to sell your car you get a great deal more of your money back.

Edited by wilko

Cars are not "overpriced" in Thailand that is the price that the market with all its quirks and restrictions allows. You can't import cars and compete because of protectionist duties.

If you go to any poorer country ypou will find that cars keep their value USA cars are so cheap that anyone coming here gets a surprise but this is just the market and (the government) working.

You can still buy and sell and make money even expensive doesn't mean no money to be made......and the great thing is that when you come to sell your car you get a great deal more of your money back.

I see your point from a market purist point of view, but the prices are still a shock. In the US, a plate of pad Thai is 400 baht. That seems overpriced to me too ...

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a Ford Ranger PickUp HighRider XLT with an "OpenCab"

it has a 2.5 L Turbo engine, manual, CD Radio, (artificial)Leather, seats etc...

I bought it New in 2005 (May or June)

Now I am looking into selling it...

1. where do i get a good price ? where should I sell it ?

2. any guess how much I might get ?

ThaiQuila, you could get a used pickup for maybe half the cost of a used sedan or coupe. You don't have kids to put in the back seat, etc. That's what I did, my first pickup ever after 17 sedans and convertibles. Nine years old, repainted and verified roadworthy by a real mechanic, for a third the going price of a new pickup.

• 5 months later...

In calculating the value of second hand vehicles, you also have to take into account the possibility to gain revenue by transporting stuff for cash, and/or the savings made comparing in daily commutes compared to taxis and other forms of transport.

If you have ever paid someone to rent a pick-up for a day I doubt you paid less because the pickup was older... Since the cost of labor is low, the cost of using second hand vehicles for transportation is mainly for rent of vehicle.

That's one reason you don't see cars and trucks fall to a rump value of say 40,000. If that was the case, there would be great ROI on buying a cheap vehicle and getting paid for transporting people or stuff. Alternately you could live in Nonthaburi, get a five year loan to pay for the cost, and petrol money from your colleage and save in money and convenience over other forms of transport.

The depreciation of vehicles over time is perfectly logical based on functionality and utility. It is the UK/US market that is illogical from that standpoint!

Does anyone here know anything about the selling price for previously owned Mercedes'? I have a 2004 S and I am thinking of buying a 2007.

Probably your best bet would be to see what the dealer you use will offer for it - I understand MB have some pretty big marketing funds to shift out new motors, which might up the trade in price of your car. That would the case if the dealer you use is one of the few MB dealers who also sell used premium benz's - however expect to get a shock as to what they will offer you. Sellling privately is a nightmare unless you enjoy wasting countless hours with dreamers who have no money and no ability to actually buy it. Mate of mine earned about 300,000b a couple of years ago when he was selling a car of his - he had 6 people pay 50,000b deposits and none of them could arrange finance so he kept their deposit everytime. In the end he just took it to a tent and got the cash straight away, albeit much lower than he knew the vehicle was worth.

nikster-sounds like your father in law may have made a little 'comission' on that buy.

and if thai used cars are high-priced AND not well maintained, then simply buy a NEW car for just a little more and don't worry about all the hidden damage.

SOLVED!

Years ago I took my 6 year old Peugeot to a main dealer to have an intermittant engine management problem looked at. The car was about 3000 pounds sterling to buy 2nd hand. The cost of just diagnosing the fault was astronomical. Nowhere else had the diagnostic machine other than a main dealer. Result was wait til the fault cleared and then sell it direct to a dealer. I was leaving the UK at the time so I just wanted rid of it.

I know have a 1 1/2 year old Vigo. Main dealer prices are very very cheap so I wouldnt think of taking it to a non main dealer to have work done, so the car will go on being serviced by Toyota.

In the UK, servicing/repairs etc gets so expensive, it is cheaper just to buy another car, meaning a higher turn over and lower prices. Here there are less older cars anyway, much cheaper servicing so they stay more expensive.

Take the plunge and buy new and then change every 3 years. After the first outlay its pretty good value for money. You buy a car in UK, drive it off the forecourt and loose 20% straight away. More if its a high end model. Thats not good value