beach chair people now own footpath

phycokiller

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what would happen if some of the high dollar hotels in the immediate area started getting black marks on their interweb booking site ratings specifically mentioning the phenomena of local hoodlums making a stay in the area less enjoyable?

Wonder what would happen if some of the high dollar hotels in the immediate area started getting black marks on their interweb booking site ratings specifically mentioning the phenomena of local hoodlums making a stay in the area less enjoyable?

Indeed but probably not going to happen. I doubt anyone from a high dollar hotel would want to sit in those chair areas or on the sandbags.

Just take a look at the population in the beach chairs. .

I guess 4 and 5 * visitors stay in the pool area or are taken to far away beach/island for the day. Alot of these problems with the locals are only noticed by residents. But having said that Im sure most high dollar hotel visitors do not return for second visit..

Edited by morrobay

The beach chair vendors in front of soi 7 and 8 are not the friendliest around, move further down to the more quieter areas and you can sit on the sidewalk in peace.

I bought my own folding beach chair, folding table and beer cooler. All I need is a shady spot away from those venders.

Somehow I suspect that'll really rile the locals.

Good luck.

It hasn't been a problem so far, of course I'm careful not set up camp in their territories. Last I heard it's a public beach and the King owns the land, not the locals, not the beach vendors.

I bought my own folding beach chair, folding table and beer cooler. All I need is a shady spot away from those venders.

Good luck.

It hasn't been a problem so far, of course I'm careful not set up camp in their territories. Last I heard it's a public beach and the King owns the land, not the locals, not the beach vendors.

I agree with you but I'm thinking the mind set of the jet scammers in front of Mikes Mall may not be limited to that area.

I've seen the umbrella vendors in variour parts act convinced they have a deed title to the beach. They can be nasty SOBs.

Good luck.

Right its public beach like every corner in Pattaya claimed by these moto taxis. The sois claimed by these taxi services that set up camp, The footpaths claimed by venders. The no parking zones claimed by taxis., song thews, tour buses and everyone else and their brother.

In Jomtien they are removing the "shady spots" by cutting down the old-growth shade trees (not all, but many). The sun will be unbearable during the hot season up and down the promenade/walkway. They are also destroying the sitting areas, some of which used to be underneath shade trees (no more). The destruction has temporarily stopped at Soi 7, but it will only be a matter of time until the places to sit are gone. Even now, people are clustering underneath the few and far between shade trees that they decided not to kill (trimmed them instead). I suppose the beach chair vendors will see an increase in business because of the FUBAR development. I hate that, but it is predictable.

Far be it from me to suggest the beach chair vendors are correct, but we have to bear in mind some of them paid large amounts of cash for the franchises, usually to people who had no right to rent them. In the past, figures of 50,000 baht were mentioned, and there was an annual rental charge as well. This type of illicit franchising is very common here. Many of the street kitchen operators pay them also (the right to operate in front of 7/11 etc).

Have no illusions about it Pattaya is a hostel environment: The locals do not like foreigners ( and thats a two way street ).

There are three main reasons tourism numbers are down in Thailand with the exception of the oblivious Indians and Chinese.

1. World economy. 2. Geography, ie much nicer mainland beaches in other countries in region. 3. The attitude of the locals in tourist towns

Edited by morrobay

I was thinking the same thing. I remember those light weight camping- folding- chairs that I used on the beaches of Spain and Italy a long time ago.

But then again: The "Premier Beach Side Resort" of S/E Asia does not want visitors to come and sit here for free. Every time, a visitor wants to sit down somewhere, he has to consume something. = That's the concept!

Soon, the only place, where you can sit down for free will be your hotel-room.

Cheers.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember those light weight camping- folding- chairs that I used on the beaches of Spain and Italy a long time ago.

But then again: The "Premier Beach Side Resort" of S/E Asia does not want visitors to come and sit here for free. Every time, a visitor wants to sit down somewhere, he has to consume something. = That's the concept!

Soon, the only place, where you can sit down for free will be your hotel-room.

Cheers.

I got one of those lightweight chairs, folds down to about the size of a loaf of bread and holds up to 330 lbs. I still use beach vendors on occasion but sometimes it's nice to not have to hassle with them and keep count on the cold ones. Sometimes I'll rent a chair and still bring my own beer but feel kinda guilty/cheap somehow when I do that.

OP, Report this to City Hall 1337.

My experiences is they get on the case "pronto".

Good idea to call Thai tourists services IMHO,

much more effective than complaining on this forum rolleyes.gif

but 1337 should be reserved for emergencies only.

For this kind of complaints the number to call is 1111.

Carrying a chair, and a table to the beach in order to save 40 baht? You can't be serious! And where is the shady spot on beach in Pattaya or Jomtien. Don't tell you carrying a beach umbrella as well.

Carrying a chair, and a table to the beach in order to save 40 baht? You can't be serious! And where is the shady spot on beach in Pattaya or Jomtien. Don't tell you carrying a beach umbrella as well.

I don't have to defend my actions, especially if they're legal. If I don't feel like dealing with the beach chair vendors, and their filthy chairs then that's my business.

You may have me on the shade though as I haven't been there since last month. Surely there's some trees left somewhere.

What about very poor exchange rates, Baht far too strong. should have tanked months ago, kept high by dark forces.

Ok, for sure Lets hope that the Black Swan that is lurking in emerging markets on the Greece/Euro problem will appear and affect the exchange rate.