Good Bye TV members

vagabond48

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say a short hello from Athens Georgia, USA, the location we thought we would try. Never lived in the South before but I hope this medium sized University town will be our next home from a long time. This location has similar weather as CM except that the winters will be a bit colder with possible snow occasionally. It's close to Atlanta for our occasion trips back to Asia via Korean Air. Close to the Atlantic Ocean and many of the surrounding states having lots of nature.

The state is very tax friendly to those seniors over 65. There is no tax for income under $75K. When I was living in Thailand, I tried not to compare the prices to the US. They were what they were. Well now that I am here, I have to stop comparing the prices to Thailand, like buying 5 KG of tomatoes in Thailand for less than $2 while here, each 1 lb (.45KG) is $1 on sale. I do miss the fresh Thailand fruits. The fruits here in Athens aren't tasty. At least, a new car here is only a few $1000 more than a used 3 to 4 year old car in Thailand. The cost repairing them will be another story.

Anyway, that's it for awhile.

Again, thanks for your good wishes.

Have fun in Athens. I lived there for a while and it's a nice little town...the University of Georgia's presence (dominance?) ensures there are plenty of entertainment options. You'll probably end up hating the traffic on the way to Atlanta but relatively speaking it isn't that bad. Best of luck in your new location! Go Dawgs!

I just wanted to say a short hello from Athens Georgia, USA, the location we thought we would try. Never lived in the South before but I hope this medium sized University town will be our next home from a long time. This location has similar weather as CM except that the winters will be a bit colder with possible snow occasionally. It's close to Atlanta for our occasion trips back to Asia via Korean Air. Close to the Atlantic Ocean and many of the surrounding states having lots of nature.

The state is very tax friendly to those seniors over 65. There is no tax for income under $75K. When I was living in Thailand, I tried not to compare the prices to the US. They were what they were. Well now that I am here, I have to stop comparing the prices to Thailand, like buying 5 KG of tomatoes in Thailand for less than $2 while here, each 1 lb (.45KG) is $1 on sale. I do miss the fresh Thailand fruits. The fruits here in Athens aren't tasty. At least, a new car here is only a few $1000 more than a used 3 to 4 year old car in Thailand. The cost repairing them will be another story.

Anyway, that's it for awhile.

Again, thanks for your good wishes.

Thanks for the update.

It's always a bit sad when families make the big move but it's often for the best to head west (well it's west to the UK) to a land of Political correctness, good schools, and a sense of fairness. We are glad we made the move and will look forward to our visit in two weeks safe in the knowledge that we will be going back to stable street UK.

Haven't heard that word, hushpuppy, in a long time. Brings back plenty of memories of rural tennessee and the church friday night fish fry events. Roll the catfish in corn meal and fry up. To keep the dogs quiet fry some balls of corn meal, fry those and feed the 'pups.

Not a bad place at all: the hills and hollers of the tennessee backwoods. Hope georgia is good for OP.