Reckless driver faces B1,000 fine after falling Phuket lamp post with SUV

Lite Beer

Reckless driver faces B1,000 fine after falling Phuket lamp post with SUV
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435480430_1.jpg

PHUKET: A 21-year-old Phuket man faces a maximum fine of B1,000 for reckless driving and damaging public property after he crashed his SUV, knocking over a lamp post from the traffic island just south of Phuket's Heroines Monument this afternoon.

Mr Adulyaram Inta, driver of the white Mitsubishi MU-7, told police that he lost control as the road was slippery only moments after a downpour, and ended up smashing into the island in the middle of the road, before knocking down the lamp post.

In the accident, both of his right-side tyres exploded, the driver side airbag was deployed and the bumper and entire front end of the car were also damaged, but the driver suffered only minor injuries.

Witnesses said he was driving too fast. Tha Reua police have thus towed and temporarily impounded his vehicle, and have charged Mr Adulyaram with reckless driving resulting in damage to state property.

It is understood that Mr Adulyaram's insurance are expected to foot the bill for the lamp post.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/reckless-driver-faces-b1-000-fine-after-falling-phuket-lamp-post-with-suv-52970.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-28

A 20 pound fine.................wow!!! It will cost a lot more to get the pole put back correctly. Makes no sense, police fines are minimal but when we want to extend a visa at immigration the money needed in a bank account is high.

Don't forget that, unless he has 1st class insurance, he'll have to pay for the damage to his own car. And if he does have first class insurance there may still be a deductable. Plus he'll be without transfer for quite some time.

So yes, fine is quite low, but it is not like after paying he can continue driving his car.

The insurance will cover the bill for the lamp post and car repairs but after he gets convicted for reckless driving, they'll recover every single bath from him. I guess in total it'll be 50-100k THB for him.

But contrast these 1k THB with the 2k THB fine for riding red plates in a recent thread.

The insurance will cover the bill for the lamp post and car repairs but after he gets convicted for reckless driving, they'll recover every single bath from him. I guess in total it'll be 50-100k THB for him.

But contrast these 1k THB with the 2k THB fine for riding red plates in a recent thread.

No. If first class insurance damage to car and post is covered, no recoup from company. If second or third class insurance damage to lamp post I'd covered, no recoup, own damage not covered.

If we are honest, when we were 21 year old drivers we probably all had a hairy moment when we discovered the limits of tyre adhesion in the rain. Ok we didn't all end up hitting a post and being on the news, but I bet it's something most of us can relate to.

Try not to be so hard on the lad.

Nooooo, not the 1,000 baht fine, he will be devastated for life, put him in jail, crucify him.

but not the 1,000 baht fine, this is too cruel a punishment he will never recover from

such huge expenses....

Edited by ezzra

Thais only have ONE mode of driving ... regardless of weather or road conditions. Anything more would require logic and an awareness of the consequences of their actions ... which aren't really strong Thai traits.

Edited by Fullstop

A 20 pound fine.................wow!!! It will cost a lot more to get the pole put back correctly. Makes no sense, police fines are minimal but when we want to extend a visa at immigration the money needed in a bank account is high.

Your not in Blighty now Eddie.This fine is approx 3 days work at minimum wage,now what would that be in England.Where i come from that would be about $400.

Reckless driver faces a massive fine, jailtime, loses his license and receives a 10 year ban on driving for endangering the lives of innocent people.

Only then will this country start to wake up.

Does this happen in your home country on 1st offence,i very much doubt it,so why should it happen here.

He is 21 yrs old, I bet he does not have a drivers license. Insurance comp should check on this and at that age where did the money come from to buy that new looking SUV Drugs I bet or his dad's car.

If in Western country if Police charge him with reckless driving insurance company would be on the first bus out. Have they checked him for alcohol or drugs.

Not only is the grammar of the post terrible..."Falling" Phuket lamp post"...

but the fine is stupidly cheap. A friend lost control of his 4x4 due to a front

diff failure on a highway in the US and killed a light pole...cost him nearly

2000 USD to replace it....or rather his insurance paid...whatever.

Actualy the lamp post doesn't really look felled...just slightly wounded.