N2 in tyres

MZurf

Don't forget Nitrogen is heavier than Oxygen so the extra weight is likely to impinge on performance and lengthen braking distances..........

Who in their right mind would inflate their tyres with oxygen?

Don't forget Nitrogen is heavier than Oxygen so the extra weight is likely to impinge on performance and lengthen braking distances..........

Who in their right mind would inflate their tyres with oxygen?

Air is 20% Oxygen - if you were to replace that (and the other gases) with Nitrogen then your tire would be heavier!....that's the sort of theory that seems to appeal to those who think filling their tires with nitrogen is a good idea.

Well it seems to me that several strong minded persons like O2 in their tyres ... me I'll go just for N2.

Anyone think we should put this topic to bed now ... shall we await a resurection in a few months ... someone is bound to ask the same question again ...

Its been amusing guys .....

The increase in Nitrogen reduces moisture and the risk of corrosion. The molecules are larger apparently, and this slows pressure loss as well.

There are no negative effects and no cost either (at least at the B-Quik I use) so how is it a con?

They are making exaggerated claims - and giving it away........well just to get you through the door....

the "risks" you talk about are so minute they are simply not worth talking about.....it's just ads effective as green stamps....or a loyalty card......bigger atoms can't leak out.....reallY???

Nothing to do with exaggerated claims or getting me through the door. The B-Quik is at Tesco's where I often shop a couple times a month. It is convenient to drive through on the way out and check tyre pressures and top up if needs be a few times a year.

I've even slightly over inflated and reset my self the following morning when tyres are properly cold thus probably adding to the nitrogen content of the atmosphere as well !! whistling.gif

It is convenient to drive through on the way out and check tyre pressures and top up if needs be a few times a year. - QED! yet you don't seem aware.......why do you think they are "so conveniently" located by supermarkets?

Let me think? facepalm.gif Hmmmm coffee1.gif maybe because it's more convenient for people to have their vehicles maintained and serviced while getting shopping done? rolleyes.gif Really nothing nefarious whistling.gif .

Why would you need to go back every few weeks, I thought Nitrogen does not leak from the tyres.

Back in the 1960s there was a craze when people dangled a strip of material off the back of the car that would occasionally touch the ground - the theory being that it would release build up of static electricity in the vehicle and protect against travel sickness; the effectiveness of this was more or less on a par with dangling furry dice in the window or putting nitrogen in your tires.

Nonsense, the strap was necessary and not some sort of fad because the tires were biased ply not steel belted like now and retained static on long excursions which then dangerously shocked any toll agents you paid at toll booths. They then added a static rod or plates in the road at most toll booths as well that would touch the bottom of the car when you rolled over them to release the shock for those vehicles that didn't have the strap, but if you didn't have a strap, got out and touched your car or picked someone up and they touched anyone in the car or the door handle without discharging the shock first, they could themselves receive or transmit a life threatening shock it could build up so intensely. This is now becoming a newly discovered issue with many KERS hybrid cars too that collect and store energy through brake recovery for example and why they handle them with insulated gloves and ground them out first before touching or working on them. coffee1.gif

Well it seems to me that several strong minded persons like O2 in their tyres ... me I'll go just for N2.

Anyone think we should put this topic to bed now ... shall we await a resurection in a few months ... someone is bound to ask the same question again ...

Now it's all tucked in and ready for bed.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why would you need to go back every few weeks, I thought Nitrogen does not leak from the tyres.

Back in the 1960s there was a craze when people dangled a strip of material off the back of the car that would occasionally touch the ground - the theory being that it would release build up of static electricity in the vehicle and protect against travel sickness; the effectiveness of this was more or less on a par with dangling furry dice in the window or putting nitrogen in your tires.

Nonsense, the strap was necessary and not some sort of fad because the tires were biased ply not steel belted like now and retained static on long excursions which then dangerously shocked any toll agents you paid at toll booths. They then added a static rod or plates in the road at most toll booths as well that would touch the bottom of the car when you rolled over them to release the shock for those vehicles that didn't have the strap, but if you didn't have a strap, got out and touched your car or picked someone up and they touched anyone in the car or the door handle without discharging the shock first, they could themselves receive or transmit a life threatening shock it could build up so intensely. This is now becoming a newly discovered issue with many KERS hybrid cars too that collect and store energy through brake recovery for example and why they handle them with insulated gloves and ground them out first before touching or working on them. coffee1.gif

Now it's all tucked in and ready for bed.. thumbsup.gif

QED!

i bet you think mobile phones can cause explosions at gas stations too!

Edited by cumgranosalum

I would have though Free Nitrogen at Be Quiet could keep Tyre Pressure Junkies returning too often annoying the staff attending to sane folks buying new tires , and they only buy them every few years, not nip in every day like a Mon\Pop shop.We must remember even cheapish Korean and Japanese cars are fitted with censors now, so T.A. and his Gauge will fade away sadly.

I would have though Free Nitrogen at Be Quiet could keep Tyre Pressure Junkies returning too often annoying the staff attending to sane folks buying new tires , and they only buy them every few years, not nip in every day like a Mon\Pop shop.We must remember even cheapish Korean and Japanese cars are fitted with censors now, so T.A. and his Gauge will fade away sadly.

B- quick sell a lot more than tires.....and of course once you are in there's always that impulse purchase....a tire gauge, some cleaning or customising products all with a wonderful mark-up...........usually something you didn't know you needed till you saw it on their shelf....it's standard sales practice.....of course the best part is trying to prevent people from realising what the plan is.....like all good con-merchants....but getting them inside in the first place with something they don't need but have to keep coming back for is the best sales ploy since nicotine in cigarettes.

PS - I'd love to get hold of one of those censors....Does it stop you from swearing when you've had a puncture, or shouting foul language at other motorists or prevent doggers from watching you?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Just remembered Those Big Rig Drivers in USA like Gas. Some have temp sensors for bearings too. Recon it keeps temps down. But what do they know compared to TV members. I believe them .

You're fishing around now....the reason Nitrogen is used in things like planes is because the tyres are subject to stresses far greater than anything encountered by a narmal road vehicle.

however the loads - and overloading on commercial vehicles are a different matter altogether.

i haven't any info to hand on nitrogen in commercial vehicle tires and I don't tend to go dig it up as it really has nothing to do with this topic which is about the use of nitrogen in day-to day use on private vehicles...a completely different kettle of fish.

however if you are relying on the urban myth/anecdotal evidence of US truckers, i'd suggest your hypothesis is off to a bad start.

So after an day with Ferang idiots. My question. You use nitrogen.?. I do now the tires don't go soft like before ,very nice. So I'll shut up. can't. Win.

firstly - you're confusing association and causation..........i hope I don't need to explain that

Secondly I really don't need to use Google, i have a teenage son who knows everything.

Errrr....

your local jumbo jet tires are filled with Nitrogen, and its not without reason.

one would have to a fairly large ass farang to justify the use of nitrogen because a 439,985kg (take-off weight) jumbo jet uses it.

same same but different ?

Errrr....

your local jumbo jet tires are filled with Nitrogen, and its not without reason.

so next time you drop your car onto a runway at about 240 kmph with a hundred plus passengers on board, make sure you have nitrogen in the tires.....mind you you'll need bigger tires.....but if you're only 78% nitrogen you will probably be OK so long as you haven'y been driving at around 30,000 feet.

Errrr....

so next time you drop your car onto a runway at about 240 kmph with a hundred plus passengers on board, make sure you have nitrogen in the tires.....mind you you'll need bigger tires.....but if you're only 78% nitrogen you will probably be OK so long as you haven'y been driving at around 30,000 feet.

Done 230 alone - does that count ?

Errrr....

Done 230 alone - does that count ?

don't be silly, just revise your "O" level physics....or just try 230 and jam on the brakes and don't let go...once with 95 to 100% N2 and then with 78% nitrogen and see if there's a difference?

BTW - remember to freeze your tires down to -40C first though.

Edited by cumgranosalum