Former British soldier jailed for 50 years in Thailand for drug dealing

webfact

Former Bromsgrove soldier Lance Whitmore jailed for 50 years in Thailand for drug dealing
BY ANDY RICHARDSON

lw.jpg
Lance Whitmore
File photo source internet

Lance Whitmore's sentence leaves his mother devastated

BANGKOK: -- A former Bromsgrove soldier has been jailed for 50 years in Thailand for drug dealing.

Lance Whitmore was sentenced at Ratchada Criminal Court after being caught with close to 200 ecstasy tablets.

His heartbroken mother, Debbie Caswell, said: “I am devastated. I don’t know how he will cope.”

Whitmore had been on trial after he was caught trying to sell drugs to an undercover detective.

Mrs Caswell said: “I got the call this morning from his lawyer. I am just devastated - I am finding it hard to function at the moment.

“I believe we will be appealing but at this moment in time I am just in shock.

“I just don’t know how he will cope with this sentence. It is the worst possible news.”

Whitmore, aged 26, who has already been behind bars up for eight months in rat-infested Klong Prem prison, will face a hellish existence as he serves his sentence.

Full story: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/former-bromsgrove-soldier-lance-whitmore-9558757

-- Mirror 2015-07-01

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, come on members of the hang 'em high club, what are you waiting for?

I was waiting for the computer to warm up...

more seriously, this is disproportionate to the crime committed by far. and there hundreds of

other cases that people got away with much with less jail time,

Thai justice, much can be said about it, being fair, above board and proportional are not

what I would have described it...

let's hope that an appeal in front of other non hanging judges will reduce the term significantly....

more seriously, this is disproportionate to the crime committed by far. and there hundreds of

Thai justice, much can be said about it, being fair, above board and proportional are not

let's hope that an appeal in front of other non hanging judges will reduce the term significantly....

A guy in our village recently got out after 6 years for dealing a similar amount.

Seems an example is being set.

"E" isn't particularly dangerous, addictive or destructive. Most truly civilized countries wouldn't be too concerned with this crime.

You think methamphetamine mixed with caffeine is not particularity dangerous ?

He knew the risks when he started dealing. I am sure he was all billy big balls when he was raking in the cash.

I have very little sympathy for him, but 50 years is ridiculous. A straight 3 year stretch would be more appropiate.

This sentence is over-kill for any possible damage to society from MDMA (street name ecstasy). In my opinion, it is over-kill even if he had been selling heroin. Opium was 100% legal in Thailand until 1962 and if you go to rural Isaan, many villagers smoke ganja.

Ecstasy therapy approved for trial in Marin County http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Ecstasy-therapy-approved-for-trial-in-Marin-6283115.php

Brain Scans Hint at Therapy Uses of Ecstasy for Anxiety, PTSD http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/01/18/brain-scans-hint-at-therapy-uses-of-ecstasy-for-anxiety-ptsd/64700.html

The Role of MDMA (Ecstasy) in Coping with Negative Life Situations Among Urban Young Adults http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235684/

For those vehemently against any sale of any illicit drug, there are, believe it or not, shades of gray in the dangers associated with different drugs. Cigarettes and alcohol are perfectly legal and are far more damaging to society than most illicit drugs. Every drug you could want has been legal (10 day supply) in Portugal for more than 14 years and illicit drug use has gone down 30% and drug deaths are down by 50% without the criminal justice system being involved. Can anyone find any negative stories on Portugal's relaxing of drug laws? NO!

Some people are risk-takers, some people are gay, and some people are drawn to drugs. There is something inside them that makes them that way and criminalization has never stopped, or even reduced, these behaviors. I'm glad my world is not 'black and white'.

Edited by rametindallas

"E" isn't particularly dangerous, addictive or destructive. Most truly civilized countries wouldn't be too concerned with this crime.

Ecstacy is supposed to mainly comprise MDMA, back in the 70s marketed as the 'love drug', but now often mainly made up of amphetamines.

The 50 year sentence seems extraordinary, especially as he pleaded guilty, was it commuted from a death sentence? Anyone know if it was an importation or drugs acquired locally. Hopefully the guy will get sentence reductions in the coming years. Does HMG arrange repatriation after a certain period to serve time in UK prison?

From the US Food and Drug Administration: DrugFacts: MDMA (Ecstasy or Molly) http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/mdma-ecstasy-or-molly

Yes, I think "methamphetamine mixed with caffeine" IS particularly dangerous but that is not what ecstasy is.

The sentence appear to follow a similar methodology to the pricing structure for entry to National Parks in Thailand.

It is also very similar to the penalty for picking wild mushrooms in the National Forests. Some judges in Thailand have NO sense of proportion.

Although one could say good, he deserves it, the sentence far

outweighs the crime and should be reduced to one tenth of what it is and barred from re- entering Thailand for life . No parole a straight 5 years then out.

This is nothing short of scandalous. I know of Thai people who have committed very similar crimes. They are out from behind bars within a few months. No lie.

Drug dealing is against the law, and the penalties can be severe here...And people should understand that.

But somehow, justice has gone seriously wrong here when this guy gets a 50-year sentence and the Red Bull kid who killed a cop is never even prosecuted, much less, convicted or sentenced.

Thai people get far less, sometimes just a few years, for actually killing other people. But this guy gets a 50-year sentence. It's not right.

I wonder if the disproportionate sentence is driven by the fact that this guy is not Thai.

A variation of double charging.

In similar cases, are Thais given such large sentences?

Saying that, what a KN@B.

Anyone dealing any drugs in Thailand is a fool.

50 yrs includes extra rice porridge for being retarded.

Ecstacy is supposed to mainly comprise MDMA, back in the 70s marketed as the 'love drug', but now often mainly made up of amphetamines.

The 50 year sentence seems extraordinary, especially as he pleaded guilty, was it commuted from a death sentence? Anyone know if it was an importation or drugs acquired locally. Hopefully the guy will get sentence reductions in the coming years. Does HMG arrange repatriation after a certain period to serve time in UK prison?

What's the chances he inadvertently made a protocol feaux pas in court?

Or there's a backroom plan, made before sentencing, along the lines of, "Grease the right palms and I can get this reduced." that the judge knows about?

I know the lad has done wrong, but 50 years he must be devastated.

Hope He has a good group of friends who can visit him and keep him in supply of good food and drink.

The thing with crime, and this includes drug dealing, is that nobody ever expects to get caught.

No matter what, this is excessive punishment. I don't know how long he will actually spend in jail, I suspect he could get transferred to a UK jail within 5 years, but the punishment here does not fit the crime.

British guys in Thai jails have a harder time than many other nationalities as they get no support from the UK government. There are charities that can help, but basically he will need to depend on help from friends and family outside for even basics like food and basic medicine etc.

Much as I dislike drug dealing, I feel sorry for this guy.

Edited by technologybytes