Commerce chambers seek two-month reprieve for Thai fishing vessels

webfact

Commerce chambers seek two-month reprieve for fishing vessels

26-6-2558-12-33-21-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chambers of Commerce in the central provinces yesterday called on the government to allow another 2 month extension for registration of illegal fishing vessels reasoning of negative chain impact on the whole fishery industry.

But the Ministry of Agriculture argues that only a few thousands of fishing vessels were affected by the illegal, unreported and uncontrolled (IUU) regulations.

The call was made after representatives from chambers of commerce from the central provinces, namely Samut Sakhon, Petchburi, Prachuap Kirikhan and Samut Songkram met to discuss the affects of the fishing halt currently in effect.

The meeting concluded that the government should allow another two month extension for boat registrations to ease pressure on boat operators.

Furthermore, they recommend that the government should designate zones for specific types of fishing and specify the types of nets that are permitted to be used.

Samut Sakhon Chamber of Commerce president Preecha Sirisaeng-arumphee warned that prolonged fishing halt or strikes will have a negative chain effect upon the entire fisheries industry as well as other related businesses.

“We are asking authorities to understand and be sensitive to our situation. Fishermen have in the past never demanded anything from the government. They have always helped themselves through personal effort and although I myself do not own any fishing boats, I sympathize with them,” he said.

Meanwhile the atmosphere at the Songkhla municipal fishing pier was comparatively quite with only a small number of boats off-loading their catches.

It is estimated that boat activity has been reduced by no less than 70% from normal and when questioned, workers there confirm that this was entirely due to the fishing strikes.

Official estimates indicate that at least 60% of all fishing boats in the area have stopped going out to sea with strong indications that more will follow as the Songkhla Fishing Association has announced a provincial-wide strike on all fishing and fisheries related industries which will take effect tomorrow. This covers fish markets, ice factories as well as fishmeal factories.

At the same time, director general of the Department of Fisheries Chumpon Sanguansin clarified that the reasons for the large number of fishing vessels being moored at present could be attribute to three possibilities.

The first of which is that many were actually preparing the necessary documentation to have their vessels legally registered and inspected.

Secondly, fishing has temporarily halted as this was the waxing moon season or high-tide and finally during this time, fishermen traditionally prepare necessary boat’s provisions and restocks boats supplies before again heading out to sea. In any event, the Department of Fisheries and Harbor Department has set up mobile registration units that will help speed and ease vessel registration. These units will allow fishmeal factories to be made until July 15.

In another development the Ministry of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives insists that the actufal number of fishing boats that has been directly affected by the new regulations is only limited to around 4,000 vessels nationwide.

But the Harbor Department’s records show that a total 42,000 legally registered while the Department of Fisheries has so far inspected and registered around 28,000 fishing boats.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-chambers-seek-two-month-reprieve-for-fishing-vessels

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-03

The people who have become very wealthy over this, and most are not the captains, but the shadow owners on shore, are simply refusing to actually spend money that would lower their productivity.

Everyone knows what this is about: money. Nothing else. And wealthy people do not like to spend money, unless it is to impress other wealthy people.

whistling.gif

I love this pair of statements (they speak huge volumes):

"In another development the Ministry of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives insists that the actual number of fishing boats that has been directly affected by the new regulations is only limited to around 4,000 vessels nationwide.

But the Harbor Department’s records show that a total 42,000 legally registered while the Department of Fisheries has so far inspected and registered around 28,000 fishing boats."

Sounds like commerce chamber have been bought out by the fishing vessels owners. Nit pick about net and areas i can not believe it. These Thai fishing vessels

have been fishing in Thai waters for how long but thought that they were not subject to the law. Let them strike and starve them out and they be the law

abiding fishing vessels that Thai needs to sell to the rest of the world. Khun PM check out the Commerce chamber for graft!

“We are asking authorities to understand and be sensitive to our situation. Fishermen have in the past never demanded anything from the government. They have always helped themselves through personal effort and although I myself do not own any fishing boats, I sympathize with them,” he said.

Damn right they've helped themselves, so much so that the fish stocks are dangerously low as well as healthy slave workers.

The whole industry stinks like a vessel's fish hold on a sunny day..

No sympathy for these arrogant scofflaws.No compliance boys, no fishing, lose yer boats. There's a new harbormaster in town.

Well...how come they block the Harbour Entrances everytime they cant get their own way on something......and an Oil company has to foot the bill....

They have had enough time....No compliance....no go..

have to wonder who supplied them with the brown envelopes it was it cake boxes. They had 6 months and did nothing like many thai businesses they rely on being let off time and again so they can continue their illegal ways, all we have here are some others with exactly the same attitude, "why should we do what is legal when we can make more profit doing it the other way"

I'm all for owner operator trawlers and the like, runnings ones own business. But I have to admit that is a freaking massive fishing fleet, I really would like to know the tonnage represented there.

And I've never imagined that there was 42K boats in the fleet, with as many captains... I assume you have to get a permit to be paid as a captain here, not sure how rigorous it is though. What really has blown me away with this entire situation is that Thailand clearly has not been managing to fisheries or the fleet. In order to assign permits to fish, and to monitor catches and alllocate them, each boat, boat owner, and captain would all have to be registered.

So then for there to be a slavery issue, is just not surprising, since it now is clear that the entire industry has been out of sight out of mind or fire and forget.

The fisheries of this country must be just smashed to the brink of depletion, since clearly there was no effort at all that managed the activity. For yet another industry so vital to the income of so many Thais, and of international interest, why has it been ignored. The politicians and public service are either clueless or under resourced, but to not know some of the info I mentioned, displays a more systemic failure.

No country needs a bit government, but it needs to the right pieces to work right to protect the country and its interests. Who was doing that here, no one, just talking heads saying no slavery blah blah.

The people who have become very wealthy over this, and most are not the captains, but the shadow owners on shore, are simply refusing to actually spend money that would lower their productivity.

Everyone knows what this is about: money. Nothing else. And wealthy people do not like to spend money, unless it is to impress other wealthy people.

whistling.gif

Or to lobby for their business.