Prostitution: Thailand's worst kept secret

webfact

The biggest (yes, biggest) problem Thailand has and most likely will have for a long time, is the TABOO to PROGRESS.

That includes all forms of criticism, skepticism, judgments, questioning, planning, going outside family traditions, untraditional ideas, innovation...

This is why all shops are the same, all houses look the same, built the same way, few innovative Thai products... and it`s why Thai`s are buying hippo-poop products to cure stomach pain, it`s why career-minded educations isn`t wanted among Thais, it`s why Chinese families are doing much better in Thailand than Thais, it`s why buying an expensive car and house comes before a career, it`s why Thailand has so many prostitutes, it`s why HIV is high in Thailand, it`s why so many kids are selling sex but few are arrested... shall I go on?

The Thais progression-taboo is undoubtedly the biggest problem in Thailand, as well as in Thai families, and if I ask you farangs that are married to a Thai probably know very well what I`m talking about, otherwise you`re either ignorant, lying, rich or has an unpopular Thai family.

It doesn`t mean Thais are stupid, no actually it`s rather very normal among all cultures. It shows how toxic beliefs can be and how powerful ideas are.

While your general sentiment is generalized but somewhat true, I can tell you that I am married to an Isaan girl and what she wants for her Thai kids is university no less and I am not ignorant, lying, rich and nor is she. Nor has she an unpopular Thai family.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prostitution in Thailand - I see no problem generally. But, market the product tastefully & exclude underage girls from the industry.

How on earth do you suggest that's achieved? If there is a demand for underage girls (because they're virgins or recently were) then the mafia and the market rules. Rules don't rule, it's money that rules, never mind marketing the "product" tastefully. Your description of people as product is distasteful in itself

If you don't like it, go home.

I am home

Not so different from my situation. I'm with this girl from a respected Isaan family, and all she wants is university education for her daughter. She gave up her bar girl life for that, it was her own will (no pressure from me)

Edited by micmichd

Prostitution in Thailand - I see no problem generally. But, market the product tastefully & exclude underage girls from the industry.

How on earth do you suggest that's achieved? If there is a demand for underage girls (because they're virgins or recently were) then the mafia and the market rules. Rules don't rule, it's money that rules, never mind marketing the "product" tastefully. Your description of people as product is distasteful in itself

If you don't like it, go home.

...and the award for the most facile post on this thread now goes to.....

Edited by cumgranosalum

The biggest (yes, biggest) problem Thailand has and most likely will have for a long time, is the TABOO to PROGRESS.

That includes all forms of criticism, skepticism, judgments, questioning, planning, going outside family traditions, untraditional ideas, innovation...

This is why all shops are the same, all houses look the same, built the same way, few innovative Thai products... and it`s why Thai`s are buying hippo-poop products to cure stomach pain, it`s why career-minded educations isn`t wanted among Thais, it`s why Chinese families are doing much better in Thailand than Thais, it`s why buying an expensive car and house comes before a career, it`s why Thailand has so many prostitutes, it`s why HIV is high in Thailand, it`s why so many kids are selling sex but few are arrested... shall I go on?

So very true and also the reason why nearly all (even educated city dwelling) thai that know me consider me bplaek because i'm not acting the way they were 'programmed' about farang. it's my little pleasure (obsession, hehe) to amaze and confuse the locals i have to do with, 24/7, in almost every possible situation. call it my natural sport here and contribution to a better world. thumbsup.gif

Do tell us more, please.

Coercion and trafficking should be a concern among those who openly tell of their sexploits with prostitutes on this forum. I have no problem with consenting adults doing what they choose but patrons should think a little more deeply than their self gratification and male prowess. If you scratch beneath the surface,can you tell between those who choose this way of life and those who have been forced into the job? How many on here can stand up and say they have never 'used' a girl who is under threat of some kind? If you can then fine. If you can't then maybe you are part of perpetuating the problem with your money going to mama sans and mafia or other people you would not like to meet.

True, so true.

What the foreigners see and or participate in is only a part of what goes on and not part of what goes on behind the scenes ...so to speak.

Human trafficking , indentured servitude and coerced sexual services are what the criticisms of Thailand are really aimed at while the tourist sex aspect of Thailand is what garners the publics attention....because it is big and bold and upfront and right there in everyone's face to be criticized.

Meantime ...what is not seen is generally not talked about nor is it seldom addressed while it probably never will be thoroughly addressed.

The Thais themselves may be considerably more discreet about their indulgence in the many levels of prostitution but they are not free of any complicity themselves just because their participation is not so easily recognized by all the critics of the sex industry....which is all part of the wide spread and lucrative entertainment industry that caters to Foreigners and Thais alike

Cheers

Majority of these girls come from Issan, They work this for help their poor parent from Issan.... But Issan is not the PTP/Red Stronghold ?

It's also home to the HIV F strain (unique to Thailand). Buckle up boys ...

Not sure where you got that from or if you are just a bit mixed up, but HIV F strain has never been found in Asia let alone Issan. Then saying that, how can you be mixed up as there is no unique strain to Thailand! So far, the only strains found in Thailand are type B and type E. Type B is found mostly in the north where there is a heroin problem and is mainly contracted intraveniously and type E is found all over and is mainly contracted sexually. Type F has been found in Africa, Europe and the Americas, but never in Asia. Try to check the "facts" you are told down the bar before posting.

Not so easy.

"Prostitution" refers to "promiscuity", and there's no clear definition to this.

Occasional sex work wouldn't make promiscuity, so it's not illegal.

Promiscuous behaviour might not be intentional, if a girl's in fact looking for a husband.

"Giving sex for money" would be a bit short-sighted. For me as ATM it makes no difference really if I give cash to a girl or go shopping with her. And if you include buying a lady a drink, then about everything could be considered to be prostitution.

Then, a husband working to support a stay-at-home wife could also be construed as prostitution.

<snip>

You should know that prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960.

<snip>

It's OK in Phuket, or was, according to the Kathu police chief, apparently. huh.png

attachicon.gifProstitution Laws 2a .jpg

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/215693-clarification-by-phuket-police-of-thai-law/?hl=%2Bclarification

Not only is it ok, the chief is in fact turning the screws on tourists who don't cough up!

343 hits so far including this one. All I can add is bar girls and lady boys. I can't even think about it all , disgusting leaves a nasty taste in my mouth !!

You should get them to have a shower first, then. huh.png

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I came from the tribal area of Old Heidelberg, Absurdistan in Farangistan

("wealth and taste"), but in your posts you say your partner and soon to be wife is a Issan prostitute working in Pattaya.

They're are no prostitutes in Thailand but lots of ladies looking for husbands and willing to spend short time or long time with men to see if they are sexually compatible.

Indeed, at least 99% of them are waitresses, or hotel receptionists or work in massage parlors ... and they are more than happy to spend time with anyone, of any age, for a small (in the beginning) financial consideration.

Can't remember where I read it, it was a while ago, but something like 90% of the prostitution here in Thailand is nothing at all to do with foreigners, it's Thai on Thai in those very discreet places that no one admits exist but everyone knows where they are and that has been the way of Thailand for centuries.

I did hear that figure too.......the majority of the "social workers" are full filling Thai domestic needs.

Those 'discreet' places, as mentioned by Tatsujin, can be found..............haha ok....dicreet. Anyway, you won't find them in Pattaya.

Another word for "discreet" is possibly "upcountry karaoke-parlor"

The Thais progression-taboo is undoubtedly the biggest problem in Thailand, as well as in Thai families, and if I ask you farangs that are married to a Thai probably know very well what I`m talking about, otherwise you`re either ignorant, lying, rich or has an unpopular Thai family.

It doesn`t mean Thais are stupid, no actually it`s rather very normal among all cultures. It shows how toxic beliefs can be and how powerful ideas are.

It is called a very, very small box. Some consider being within that small box a comfortable place to be. I call it a toxic place to be. Comfort is overrated and a deterrent growth.

Majority of these girls come from Issan, They work this for help their poor parent from Issan.... But Issan is not the PTP/Red Stronghold ?

Care to explain, what ANY government EVER has done to change things like poverty in that region?

Oh...and congratulations: the topic is prostitution. but somehow "the reds" had to be brought into this, right!?

You are such a troll...and not even an entertaining one!

what ANY government EVER has done to change things like poverty in that region?

Perhaps you haven't been with any prostitutes, but it's not always about "poverty". Many bargirls like the party lifestyle, and also hope to meet prospective farang husbands- the ones that are in the farang scene, that is. Most of them are in the Thai scene, and I don't know what proportion service Malaysians that come up to the Hat Yai area for a weekend "party". Also not forgetting those that work exclusively with the Japanese in Thaniya Plaza.

Re the Slavic girls- never talked to any so don't know their motivation.

Yes, many bar girls are quite addicted to Farang lifestyle (or their idea of Farang lifestyle) and might get withdrawal symptoms if they had to give it up. But Thai ladies do many things if it is for their families. Those ladies who have a child might want to become a role model for their child if they find someone who really cares.

Why not give one mother and her child a chance?

I feel sorry for you and all those who denigrate sex workers. From the venom and spite in many of these comments towards women you must have no compassion for your fellow human beings...a pity.

They're are no prostitutes in Thailand but lots of ladies looking for husbands and willing to spend short time or long time with men to see if they are sexually compatible.

I think you are on to something here, that is exactly how I felt each time I related to a Thai lady here. Glad you stated it as it is. Thanks.

I think you are on to something here, that is exactly how I felt each time I related to a Thai lady here. Glad you stated it as it is. Thanks.

Ugh , sexually compatible ,cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

IMHO, being financially compatible, would be a better option ,

A happy life together,, and forever , in LOS.

One darling .coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

Why not give one mother and her child a chance?

Only a total lonley loser would try to play the "white knight" ie wife a prostitute.

While the risks are high and depending on your own resilience in being able to handle possible gambling, drug and other hazards and after effects that you may not have to deal with in a girl not belonging to that scene, everybody is redeemable if someone understands and wants to turn around their life.

It is not as black and white as "lonely loser/ white knight." A girl that has been forced or coerced into prostitution is another situation again quite different from someone choosing that lifestyle.

I'm new to Thailand, I didn't realize there was prostitution in this country ... it's illegal isn't it ? blink.png

"money given is simply compensation for their time and companionship". Tips are appreciated. You get a personal tour guide, help and information on the local sites, things to do, somebody to practice your Thai with and they to practice their English or other language with, a fun drinking companion, etc. I like the setup.

I have often said that I am sure that the vast majority of these girls didn't have dreams of growing up to be prostitutes. They do it because there is no other work for them that pays a living wage plus enough to help their families.

Not quite accurate. Yes, many Thai and especially Laos and Vietnamese girls do it because it pays the most money so they can help their families. However, an equal number of Thai girls, the ones that work in Bangkok, Pattaya and Patong, do it as a lifestyle choice. They enjoy the party life and getting paid while lying on their backs is the easiest way to support their partying lifestyle. Most Thais look for easy money with a minimum of work effort.

I know a woman doctor and 2 nurses, all very attractive & sexy, who do it every weekend to "supplement" their income, and seem to enjoy themselves quite well as they do.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha the freelancers just helping out at the weekend when its busy ?????????

What you call "worst kept secret" most call "general knowledge".

They are not all poor Isaan girls. Local freelance bar here in Pats I've met small business owners, hospital workers, secretaries etc that just want to get some easy extra cash. Thailand was never subject to Puritanical Colonizers, so perhaps their take on the whole thing isn't colored by Western obsession with "sin".

That is a completely misleading statement if there ever was one to prop up an argument. While the country presents itself as avoiding colonization, it is more accurate to say; The remaining territory that became Thailand was spared colonization. Remember about half of the Siam Kingdom was sliced off becoming eventually Laos and Cambodia. Though you can refute with semantics if you will, yes some of these areas contained a population paying tribute or Siam wasn't yet a modern state.

Now Religion, there was extensive entry to the country even prior to 1850's of missionaries and the construction of Churches. They did not just exist in Bangkok after the fall of Ayutthaya, the entire kingdom through to Angkor had been visited. There is plenty of books with accounts both modern and contemporary that use primary sources which are contrary to your statements.

While your statement may represent a "Valid" viewpoint of history dependent on limiting the scope by saying Thailand, and Colonizers which are mutually exclusive periods and labels. Only in isolation is any part of that view valid and that is misleading at best.

Edited by jcisco

Ugh , sexually compatible ,cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

IMHO, being financially compatible, would be a better option ,

A happy life together,, and forever , in LOS.

One darling .coffee1.gif

Both (sexually and financially compatible) would be perfect, wouldn't it?

And of course, a common cognitive framework. At least some respect for your guest country's culture.