Egypt expresses interest in Thailand's water-saving rice farming

webfact

Egypt expresses interest in water-saving rice farming

BANGKOK, 3 July 2015 (NNT) – The Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives has revealed that Egypt expressed interest in the country’s water-saving rice cultivation and is eyeing opportunities to foster agricultural cooperation in the near future.

Speaking after a talk with the Egyptian ambassador to Thailand, Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Pitipong Puengboon na Ayutthaya disclosed that both governments decided to expand bilateral cooperation, especially in the area of agriculture.

The minister said the Egyptian government was particularly interested in Thailand's water-saving rice farming technology, which was proven to reduce water by 30 percent without affecting output or quality. However, a large number of Thai farmers are still uncertain about the technique's efficacy.

Egypt also expressed interest in artificial reef management technology and was planning to offer a research grant to Thailand. Both sides will discuss the plan in detail later on.

Egypt is the first Arab nation to have formed diplomatic relations with Thailand. The two nations formally established ties in 1954.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-03 footer_n.gif

I thought I had mis read the title.

This has to be some more government happy talk propoganda.

Since when has Thailand bothered with water saving rice cultivation.

The country is suffering from a severe water shortage, rice cannot be planted and they are now offering advice to other countries?

All I see are broken leaky Klongs everywhere and the irrigation of vegetables taking place in the middle of the day when most evaporates.

Perhaps tomorrow I will read they are offering motoring safety advice to Germany and the UK?

yes when you are required to carry your allotment of drinking water 10 mile each , you probable have a good handle on conserving rice irrigation water'' not''

the reporter the interviewer or interviewee, proof reader who is more uninformed

I believe the technique for water saving is the laser leveling system which is more widely used in Cambodia, Vietnam and India.

It really does make significant savings although I think 20% would be more realistic than 30%.

You might like to look at this.

I guess the Egyptians prefer talking to Thailand to the other countries for some reason but whatever the reason "well done Thailand".

I wonder how many of the posters before me are farmers of any sort, let alone rice farmers in Thailand.

When we first moved up here in rural Thailand we couldn't grow rice as the land is on a slope and there is not enough water available. We did try man saparang for a couple of years and also corn but without any farmers and not enough family close we gave up as for us there was no real money in it. Now my wife rents the land out, doesn't make as much money but has no stress or hard work to do.

Water management in Thailand has in the past strongly focused on increasing the supply of water by structural means - reservoirs, dams, canals, and more recently through cloud seeding. Since 2000, government agencies have slowly become aware that water supply is limited, that water demands continue to increase, that water pollution, sea level rise are reducing fresh water supplies. But Thailand has mostly lagged behind neighboring countries in such realizations and certainly in actions to manage water demand. Even Royal Irrigation Department recognizes this fact. Please check out the comparisons of water footprint for rice by RID in June 2011 http://www.rid.go.th/thaicid/_5_article/6symposium/02.pdf

RID reports that, average from 2000-2004 Thailand used 1253 m3/ton of rice while Vietnam used 697 m3/ton. And that Thailand's rice yield was 2.67 ton/ha while Vietnam's was 4.52 tons/ha.

Do Thai farmers know how to grow rice? Yes, of course. Do Thai farmers want to know how to grow rice with less water? No, because water has not been a limiting factor for them in rice production. Is there a good process to educate Thai farmers on sustainable agriculture, including water efficiency and control water use? No. Thailand does not have a water law. Thai government agencies related to water and agriculture mostly have poorly designed and supported farmer advice / extension services.

Why is Egypt Government consulting with Thai Government? The most likely reasons have nothing to do with water productivity and sustainable agriculture.

Water management in Thailand has in the past strongly focused on increasing the supply of water by structural means - reservoirs, dams, canals, and more recently through cloud seeding. Since 2000, government agencies have slowly become aware that water supply is limited, that water demands continue to increase, that water pollution, sea level rise are reducing fresh water supplies. But Thailand has mostly lagged behind neighboring countries in such realizations and certainly in actions to manage water demand. Even Royal Irrigation Department recognizes this fact. Please check out the comparisons of water footprint for rice by RID in June 2011 http://www.rid.go.th/thaicid/_5_article/6symposium/02.pdf

RID reports that, average from 2000-2004 Thailand used 1253 m3/ton of rice while Vietnam used 697 m3/ton. And that Thailand's rice yield was 2.67 ton/ha while Vietnam's was 4.52 tons/ha.

Do Thai farmers know how to grow rice? Yes, of course. Do Thai farmers want to know how to grow rice with less water? No, because water has not been a limiting factor for them in rice production. Is there a good process to educate Thai farmers on sustainable agriculture, including water efficiency and control water use? No. Thailand does not have a water law. Thai government agencies related to water and agriculture mostly have poorly designed and supported farmer advice / extension services.

Why is Egypt Government consulting with Thai Government? The most likely reasons have nothing to do with water productivity and sustainable agriculture.

Thank you for that link. I have downloaded it and skimmed through it and will read it later offline.

It is a informational and thought provoking subject that most people should read and understand whay they can do to cut their own water consumption.