US Verizon Users - Account Info Now Blocked from Outside US

Khon Baan Nok

For US-based Verizon users: Verizon is now blocking access to your account information from outside the US. I wasted one hour this morning on a chat line, and basically was told that for my protection, I could not access my own account from outside the US. If I care to return to the US, I'll be able to access it, or, alternatively, they will mail (not email - too insecure) a copy of my statement to my US address of record and someone there could in turn forward it to me in Bangkok.

So, while you are not able to review your statement, you are also liable for paying your bill on-time, and for any late fees.

If you maintain a US phone number and check your billing statements before paying electronically, you are now out of luck. FYI.

I use a VPN if necessary.

I am currently connected as being in Los Angeles (CyberGhost).

And http://whatismyipaddress.com/ does not detect anything unusual.(Services:None Detected).

Not uncovered as VPN user.

So quite sure this would work with Verizon also.

I can't test as I am not a customer.

A good reminder that I will renew my VPN subscription at the end of the year.

As others have stated: VPN is the answer you seek. There are several highly recommended options. I just started playing around with dedicated VPN roouter as opposed to laptop software or app. Kinda cool.

I find it actually cute for organizations to try limiting access based on location. The world is truely getting smaller.......

The Verizon logon page works fine for me...I'm on True in Bangkok. Maybe in the OP's case it's his Thai Internet Service Provider that's causing the problem...some outdated security certificate maybe. However, recently I've been unable to reach certain U.S. govt https webpages (logon pages) unless using VPN.

Maybe the recent massive OPM breach/hack has some companies/govt agencies tightening down on their access from outside the U.S.

Yes sir, VPN which gives a U.S. IP address is your friend.

Edited by Pib

The Verizon logon page works fine for me...I'm on True in Bangkok. Maybe in the OP's case it's his Thai Internet Service Provider that's causing the problem...some outdated security certificate maybe. However, recently I've been unable to reach certain U.S. govt https webpages (logon pages) unless using VPN.

If the topic comes back and describes what he actually sees, then one could draw conclusions.

Until then I am out here.

Edited by KhunBENQ

VPNs were designed so that enterprise users would have a completely secure way to remote access their companies network. Many of them have 128-bit AES encryption. In addition, many VPNs use unique, rotating dynamic IP addresses. If they can tell you're really in Thailand they should quit and go work for the NSA.

I've never used VPN.

Can't login type sites tell that you're using VPN and faking your IP?

Fidelity can't cos that's how I log into my IRA!

Can I ask please what VPN provider you are using?

It's called Witopia, costs around $15 for 3 months or cheaper if you subscribe for longer.

It allows you to choose IP addresses all over the US including San Francisco, as well as many countries in Europe and Asia, by just using a pull down menu, so you can use it to watch BBC iplayer as well!

TunnelBear VPN is super easy to use. Just download / install it's small client OPEN VPN software and you'll have VPN capability with a U.S. IP address (New York if I remember right)...500MB/month is plenty for lite duty surfing. I use it as my backup VPN service.

Edited by Pib

Thanks. I'll check it out. Another more tedious way to show a U.S. IP is to have a friend there let you use team viewer so you can take over their machine for sessions. Kind of drag to do though and it is slow.

100% camouflage.

I know "part time" foreigners in Thailand who "remote control" their DSL connection in their home country.

Also they can use things like a "slingbox" to do their own TV streaming etc.

Perfect but available only to a limited group and pricey.

I want a localized service matching my home address U.S. city for banking.

Good luck with that unless your U.S. city happens to be in selected large cities such as Miami, NYC, SF, and Washington D.C....these are the U.S. locations that StrongVPN has it's servers in the U.S....StrongVPN is one of the largest VPN service provides. It's not like being able to pick almost any area/local code like you can do with many VOIP type phone services.

I don't think that your bank requires an IP address which matches your address?

Heck, what if you were traveling in the U.S.?

That said, HMA (Hide My Ass) https://www.hidemyass.com/ have servers in many, many states. And some awesome promotions and deals. I just renewed for 12 months at a 50% discount.

HMA, " ...have 870 VPN servers in 320 locations in 200 countries around the world - offer over 118270 IP addresses..."

Good luck with that unless your U.S. city happens to be in selected large cities such as Miami, NYC, SF, and Washington D.C....these are the U.S. locations that StrongVPN has it's servers in the U.S....StrongVPN is one of the largest VPN service provides. It's not like being able to pick almost any area/local code like you can do with many VOIP type phone services.
Yes ... a major city. No problem.

That said, HMA (Hide My Ass) https://www.hidemyass.com/ have servers in many, many states. And some awesome promotions and deals. I just renewed for 12 months at a 50% discount.

HMA, " ...have 870 VPN servers in 320 locations in 200 countries around the world - offer over 118270 IP addresses..."

Good point. Some places like Vanguard check your machine rather than IP and its new to them ask security questions. My concern with vpn is if they detect VPN that might actually cause more problems because what are you hiding? Also are there security issues using VPN for banking sites.

Some places like Vanguard check your machine

Correct, MAC address(es), which they associate with your account.

I use several different financial services institutions in the U.S. and none require a VPN for web-based activities, or even for their Android apps. (But this doesn't cover any/all communications. like matching a telephone number on a credit card activation, or a one-time password sent via SMS.)

That said, using a VPN should not be viewed by the bank as a negative.

Also are there security issues using VPN for banking sites.

Can you share some examples?

A person can look at the specific U.S. cities at this webpage. Link Each city/location can have many, many servers and IP addresses....kinda like how many different phone numbers prefixes can exist in one city. Like for the U.S. HMA shows 412 servers and 47215 IP addresses....on the surface a person might think they have a servers just everywhere in the U.S., but all of those servers/IP addresses are located in approx 52 U.S. cities. And just because a VPN has a server at a certain location does not automatically mean they might not be full-up and a person would have to select another nearby location.

on the surface a person might think they have a servers just everywhere in the U.S

I certainly didn't mean to imply that HMA have servers "everywhere", I simply said they have servers in many states, ~ 35 (+ DC) by my count.

Some applications - maybe video streaming - may require a specific location match, but I am not that savvy or experienced as my applications are very simple. HMA came highly recommended here on ThaiVisa so i went with them.