Electric rates up? Or just a rumor?

moonseeker

I was just told by a Thai, that starting with last month's bill, there is a massive raise in electric bills, due to an extra tax. As he could not explain details I wonder if anybody on TV is aware of such a thing. He mentioned 20%, which seems a bit stiff and unlikely for not hearing much about hit at all. Thank you all. MS>

My electric bill averages about 1,800 per month. The last bill I got was 2,600 and I was out of

town for 9 days, so use of electricity was only for 21 days!

So the OP has his answer. Electric rates have gone up by not 20%, but at least 50%coffee1.gif

Not a trace in the news that I remember?

Last bill gives an avarage of 4.37 Baht/kWh.

Ft at 0.491 0.4961 which is lower than it has been.

20% ? Not (yet).

Something lost/missing in translation?

What I write is for private houselhold electricity,

Edited by KhunBENQ

MEA and PEA sites show nothing about this nor a search for any published announcement. The FT was increased in Jan 2015 to April 2015 but see no change there either.

//edit - just checked my bill and the ft up until April was .5896 as agreed by government. May shows a reduction to .4961.

Not a trace in the news that I remember?

Last bill gives an avarage of 4.37 Baht/kWh.

Ft at 0.491 0.4961 which is lower than it has been.

20% ? Not (yet).

Something lost/missing in translation?

What I write is for private houselhold electricity,

Same here. My usage has been fairly high, so this should give an indication:

May 16: 3064 baht/ 686 units = 4.46 baht/unit (average)

June 16: 3933 baht/ 870 units = 4.52

The difference is probably due to increased usage in June.

Of course there could have been an increase after June 16 - we'll find out next week.

Thank you all for the kind answers to a "silly" (regards to Anthony5 thumbsup.gif ) question. I did try the relevant websites first and they showed no news or raise of cost, but figured TV members are always up-to-date, certainly more than most Thai websites. I guess we are now safe to assume rates have stayed the same and higher bills are due to hot weather. Good night and thanks to all the nice folks on TV. MS>

Case closed, unless Anthony5 is still bored......

Edited by moonseeker

This is my electric bill for 3 years, all inclusive (base, ft and VAT) price per month. It peaked with my May bill last year and nearly identical with my May bill this year and is on its downward trend again. So price levels have been quite consistent for the 3 years. And yes, higher bills due to weather. We are pretty consistent in our use of AC with everything else pretty much a constant such as fridges, computers, etc. so not a lot of fluctuation for the normal items.

post-566-0-77544000-1436198055_thumb.jpg

We have electricity bills between 7000 (cool season) and 9000 Baht (hot season) ...mainly because of A/C ...and I would be interested in a TVF member has good experience with COSMOTOR an appliance which promises savings of the consumption units. My wife says that in Thai media many people are not convinced and some report the investment is only OK for industrial end users.

my last bill was 25xx, this last bill was 3,096 THB, I noticed something going up .. but have to check the rate per unit as said in above!

Base unit cost (rate) for me over 3 years (excluding VAT & FT). smile.png The cycles are normal as the base cost changes with usage due to it being on step charges.

post-566-0-18067300-1436198917_thumb.jpg

The PEA slipped in a new charge as from last month. There are two rates, 8.22 up to 150 kWh and Baht 38.22 above 150kWh They told my wife that this represented the cost of reading the meters and administrating the invoices and collecting the money. They also said that these costs had always been included before but never stated as a separate item. There has been a huge outcry on the Thai social media sites about this but nothing said on the English language sites. I presume this is what the OP was referring to.

The PEA slipped in a new charge as from last month. There are two rates, 8.22 up to 150 kWh and Baht 38.22 above 150kWh They told my wife that this represented the cost of reading the meters and administrating the invoices and collecting the money. They also said that these costs had always been included before but never stated as a separate item. There has been a huge outcry on the Thai social media sites about this but nothing said on the English language sites. I presume this is what the OP was referring to.

MEA has been including those as separate items for a long time. It was only recently that I noticed and asked about it when it showed on my last PEA bill. So they unfolded it from the base price as a separate item now.

MEA has been including those as separate items for a long time. It was only recently that I noticed and asked about it when it showed on my last PEA bill. So they unfolded it from the base price as a separate item now.

It only appeared on my bills (home and office) for the first time last month. Both PEA.

I rent a small apartment in Bkk. The unit rate for the past 3 years has remained consistant at 7 baht.

your landlord cheats you by adding 100% and might therefore absorb a rate increase (if any). but there was no increase!

I rent a small apartment in Bkk. The unit rate for the past 3 years has remained consistant at 7 baht.

your landlord cheats you by adding 100% and might therefore absorb a rate increase (if any). but there was no increase!

I live near Victory Monument, and my landlord just raised my electric bill from 6 baht/unit to 8 baht/unit. I know that 6 baht/unit is a rip off, but I like the place, so I pay it. I was irritated by the increase from 6 to 8 baht per unit, though, and confronted him yesterday when I went to pay my rent.
The landlord claims that he has been undercharging all this time, and just last week realized how much he was losing when he added up the cost of running the elevator and building lights, etc. I told him that I didn't read about Fay Faa Nakhon Luang (Metropolitan Electricity Authority?) raising its rates, and he said that they hadn't. Then offered to comprimise at 7 baht/unit. I reluctantly agreed... It's not that much a difference to me, and I don't want to move, but it highly irritates me that this change is simply spurred by, "What more can I get out of this guy?"

my electicity bill has never been more than 700 baht a month and that is even at 9 baht a unit.It appears that some of our viewers are paying quite a bit more.I would strongly advise you to switch off the air con and go out for the day as it's lovely outside! love to you all F.J x

Thank you kindly. This is the solution. This is what he must have meant. Best regards to all. MS>

I thought the MEA service charge for <150kWh/Mth was Bt8.19 (not 8.22).

The MEA website gives rates >150kWh asBt2.7628 and 150 - 400kWh as Bt2.7628. Can anyone tell me the rates charged by PEA, please?

As far as I know, PEA & MEA use the same price structure as it is determined by EGAT which is under ERC regulations.

BTW, just watched a video at the PEA FaceBook page that explains the new bill format. Apparently due to lots of complaints? smile.png They compare the old format with the exact amount of usage (kW) to the new one where it splits the costs out more. They were identical in total cost including the 38.22 in the new format showing that cost has always been there, just folded into the total.

It is not a new charge, it has always been there so no price increases at all.

my electicity bill has never been more than 700 baht a month and that is even at 9 baht a unit.It appears that some of our viewers are paying quite a bit more.I would strongly advise you to switch off the air con and go out for the day as it's lovely outside! love to you all F.J x

It's lovely inside with the aircon running all day too. It's worth the money to stay cool IMO. I'd rather budget on other things.

You may be surprised how much the hot weather saps your energy.

I used 796 units last month and 783 unit the same month last year. My bill was almost exactly 100thb less than last year ... due to ft being less ... 395thb this year compared to 540thb last year.

my electricity bill was never 700 Baht per day. main reason because my average rate per kWh is 4.691 Baht. however, at 9 Baht per kWh my last month's invoice would exceed 700 Baht per day by 482 Baht.

by the way, would you be interested in my opinion where exactly you can shove your "lovely outside"? gigglem.gif

Edited by Naam