New fortunner

You need big balls to drive a SUV in Thailand at 190 kph with all the crazy roads + the crazy drivers. If you have a death wish

then Thailand is a good place to put your plan into action. I have had to slam on the anchors a few times at only 140 kph in my SUV and its been pure luck that someone else moved or I managed to squeeze through some gap or I would have ploughed through them.

SUV trucks normally would be used as family vehicles or secure placement of larger items in the rear, but in Thailand the question asked is what is the top speed, no one is interested on the safety aspects that need to match the high speed.

Totally agree with you on all aspects of your post. I only got my MPV because I wanted to have big lump with good vision & large luggage space, the two rear seats were taken out the first week I had it. Now sitting rapped up in a back room. Just left with a very large estate car.

Also not interested in speed the only reason I have had the engine tweaked, brakes sorted (Thanks for that) is where I live is just off the 1/32 BKK/C/M road if you drive on it at 120 you will get the busses up your butt 140 mini busses and I have found if you just speed off rapidly for a short spurt they will back up and bugger off, leaving me alone to enjoy my trip.

But must admit I do get a bit carried away declaring Black is white with people on TV that try and tell all the best selling MPV is crap or their Honda is the best thing since sliced bread. I have driven lots of those Noddy cars and I can assure all their not.

N/B. We have a police pound near us where they store all the damaged cars. Never seen any MPV in there, the vast majority 80% are pickups the rest small Noddy cars, says something what.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After plowing down a few trees in the Strada a couple of weeks ago I was interested in bringing forward the purchase of a new pick-up but today the missus said "Why not buy an old 40k baht PU for farm work and buy a new car instead of a pick-up for us" Smart girl my missus, wonder if she meant SUV!

The repair costs for the Strada have gone up and up it's not worth repairing...so I will sell it for parts.

attachicon.gifPick-up crash scene Friday 26-06-15.JPG

For farm work repair your Strada for under 40k (not exactly going to matter if the geometry isn't spot on or it's got no lights) then you will have some spare dosh for the vital chrome extras on the new car if you can't get them thrown in the purchasewink.png

Interesting article in the BKK Post today entitled Toyota is car thief top Pick.

Seems the Altis, Vios, Fortuner, Vigo.

Closely followed by Isuzu D/Max, are their top pick.

There you go so if you want a vehicle that no bugger want not even Thief's get a Honda.

After plowing down a few trees in the Strada a couple of weeks ago I was interested in bringing forward the purchase of a new pick-up but today the missus said "Why not buy an old 40k baht PU for farm work and buy a new car instead of a pick-up for us" Smart girl my missus, wonder if she meant SUV!

The repair costs for the Strada have gone up and up it's not worth repairing...so I will sell it for parts.

Pick-up crash scene Friday 26-06-15.JPG

How the <deleted> did you manage to park it there ... did you back in ...

I drove in and used the nudge bar to knock over a few sapplings! blink.png

attachicon.gifPick-up crash scene Friday 26-06-15.JPG

For farm work repair your Strada for under 40k (not exactly going to matter if the geometry isn't spot on or it's got no lights) then you will have some spare dosh for the vital chrome extras on the new car if you can't get them thrown in the purchasewink.png

I thought the wife was just getting a quote to see how much it would cost to repair, but once again there was a miss communication whistling.gif and the fact of the matter is they are in full swing repairing it....with equipment I haven't seen in a panel shop since I was a kid! After visiting the panel shop today I am convinced I wouldn't be driving it over 50kph! But it maybe the 40k baht farm pick-up after all! Although the 100k baht repair bill could have gone towards a new SUV! facepalm.gif

I observe a few of these in the UAE, I guess whare fuel costs $0.50 per litre not a big issue.

I'm sure Thai's would buy the 4.0L version too - if it wasn't taxed 4x more than the models we do get....

I observe a few of these in the UAE, I guess whare fuel costs $0.50 per litre not a big issue.

I'm sure Thai's would buy the 4.0L version too - if it wasn't taxed 4x more than the models we do get....

Really, they don't seem to go for the 3.0L PJS in a big way.

Really, they don't seem to go for the 3.0L PJS in a big way.

Yeah, I guess the prospect of paying 100K Baht extra for the 3.0L V6 that really only performs about the same as the 2.5L diesel, wasn't too attractive. Without tax oddness, it probably should have been 100-150K cheaper... The Fortuner's V6 has 1L more capacity, and while it doesn't look that much stronger then the Mitsu 3.0L on paper, it sure feels a lot stronger on the road. It's all moot, we're just not allowed to have SUV's with more then 3250cc for affordable prices.

Good Job My Brit mate with a Black Blinged Spivo isnt that far up his own arse he cant take jokes from us Car Drivers every Sunday. Its Fun less youre Big Headed. Enjoy the banter...cheesy.gif

I do enjoy the banter that's why I joined in.

Mind you I did have to look up on Google the 'Monty Python Banter Sketch' first just to find out what the hell you were talking about.

Also sort of found out about the Cheese you mentioned in an earlier post, a big thank you to M/Python for that as well.

Do need a bit of help regards your post if I want a 7 seat car I should have got a Vigo.

If you would be so kind as to tell me what M/Python sketch that was in would be obliged.

Good Job My Brit mate with a Black Blinged Spivo isnt that far up his own arse he cant take jokes from us Car Drivers every Sunday. Its Fun less youre Big Headed. Enjoy the banter...cheesy.gif

I do enjoy the banter that's why I joined in.

Mind you I did have to look up on Google the 'Monty Python Banter Sketch' first just to find out what the hell you were talking about.

Also sort of found out about the Cheese you mentioned in an earlier post, a big thank you to M/Python for that as well.

Do need a bit of help regards your post if I want a 7 seat car I should have got a Vigo.

If you would be so kind as to tell me what M/Python sketch that was in would be obliged.

..I just picked Cheese from the.N Wan posts.its either food or congestion

Does this one come with crash testing ?

How about a non-hideous interior ?

Can this one accelerate with the rest of the traffic above 100km/h ?

Does this one have the handling ability to change lanes ?

Will this one still ride like a horse and cart ?

whistling.gif

Meaw !!!

If you buy a Chevy all of them come with this if offered ,why Toyo slapped that ugly one in the new truck is penny pinching when the U.S. Range all have nice ones like this....attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1436498666.186155.jpg

I much prefer the Sync2 systems we'll be seeing in the Ranger & Everest later this month:

New-Ford-Ranger-7_SYNC2.jpg

But no GPS even on the T+ ... who's idea was that!!

If you buy a Chevy all of them come with this if offered ,why Toyo slapped that ugly one in the new truck is penny pinching when the U.S. Range all have nice ones like this....attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1436498666.186155.jpg

I much prefer the Sync2 systems we'll be seeing in the Ranger & Everest later this month:

But no GPS even on the T+ ... who's idea was that!!

And yet Ford claim part of Everest’s SYNC 2 infotainment system automatically relays the vehicle’s GPS coordinates and connects the driver to emergency service responders in the event of a serious accident.

Bizarrethat it features this but not an actual GPS for navigation.

Archived