New fortunner

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy a Chevy all of them come with this if offered ,why Toyo slapped that ugly one in the new truck is penny pinching when the U.S. Range all have nice ones like this....attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1436498666.186155.jpg

I much prefer the Sync2 systems we'll be seeing in the Ranger & Everest later this month:

New-Ford-Ranger-7_SYNC2.jpg

Yeah, I know people complain about the Synch 1 I have, but it works fine for me, smartphones, usb music, etc..., cept...I can't figure out how to turn off the oil change needed message.:huh:

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bet Ford are rather happy if that's it

Yep... but the question still remains - can Ford deliver sufficient quantity to the domestic market - or are they going to play the "Ranger game" and hope that people still want their bookings after a months/years of continuously pushed back and then missed delivery promises? I'm already hearing buzz that customers previously promised August deliveries are now being told October.... deja vu...

I haven't yet had official specs on the new Fortuner - but it appears they haven't followed Ford and Mitsu's design lead of making the car any bigger then the previous generation. If that's right, it's going to remain in the MU-X and Trailblazer "club" of SUV's that have tiny, useless trunks when all 7 seats are in use.

Yep... but the question still remains - can Ford deliver sufficient quantity to the domestic market - or are they going to play the "Ranger game" and hope that people still want their bookings after a months/years of continuously pushed back and then missed delivery promises? I'm already hearing buzz that customers previously promised August deliveries are now being told October.... deja vu...

I haven't yet had official specs on the new Fortuner - but it appears they haven't followed Ford and Mitsu's design lead of making the car any bigger then the previous generation. If that's right, it's going to remain in the MU-X and Trailblazer "club" of SUV's that have tiny, useless trunks when all 7 seats are in use.

useless trunks when all 7 seats are in use.

Do people buy it to use it as a 7 seater ?? can't remember ever seeing 7 people in a Fortuner, plenty about mostly just the driver, the odd few with maybe 2 + a kid.... on the other hand see lots of 6 up in the Spin. Avanza, Ertiga and Mobilio. of course they only cost a fraction of the price..

number of Thai friends that are single or have a wife, own and drive these 7 seater 4x4's, most with wife she also has a car,

Based on a conversation with our Ford dealer last week, the answer to that question in NO!

If Ford only got their act together Nationwide as Toyo have it will Prosper.My first action would be fire the Clowns of Ford Thailand, and headhunt some Honda /Toyo Guys who get results.

The issue is the dealerships, Not ford Thailand themselves as Iam certain unlike Toyota and Honda Ford do not own their dealerships.

Based on a conversation with our Ford dealer last week, the answer to that question in NO!

Is that the answer to this question:

"can Ford deliver sufficient quantity to the domestic market"; or this one:

"or are they going to play the "Ranger game" and hope that people still want their bookings after a months/years of continuously pushed back and then missed delivery promises" ?

Is that the answer to this question:

"can Ford deliver sufficient quantity to the domestic market"; or this one:

"or are they going to play the "Ranger game" and hope that people still want their bookings after a months/years of continuously pushed back and then missed delivery promises" ?

reckon it will be the "can Ford deliver sufficient quantity to the domestic market".

heard Ford recently did a pilot build of 28 Everests. They all had to be pushed from the production line due to various issues rendering them unable to be driven.

Lets hope they get all the issues sorted sooner rather than later.

useless trunks when all 7 seats are in use.

Do people buy it to use it as a 7 seater ?? can't remember ever seeing 7 people in a Fortuner, plenty about mostly just the driver, the odd few with maybe 2 + a kid.... on the other hand see lots of 6 up in the Spin. Avanza, Ertiga and Mobilio. of course they only cost a fraction of the price..

number of Thai friends that are single or have a wife, own and drive these 7 seater 4x4's, most with wife she also has a car,

I can only speak for our old PJS, which gets used as a 8,9, even 10 seater sometimes :) If you didn't need 7 seats, you'd arguably be better buying a crossover, no?

If Ford only got their act together Nationwide as Toyo have it will Prosper.My first action would be fire the Clowns of Ford Thailand, and headhunt some Honda /Toyo Guys who get results.

The issue is the dealerships, Not ford Thailand themselves as Iam certain unlike Toyota and Honda Ford do not own their dealerships.

Non are Factory Owned they are Franchises operating to Standards that must be met as set by Toyo,Mazda u name it etc. Or they lose the Franchise... Same with Ford, but not many want their Franchise due to sloppy support from Ford Thailand.

Jealous ? V60 or Fortuner cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ok being serious now. Has this one actually been crash tested independently or is it only being sold in countries that don't require crash testing again ?

Yes, the new Fortuner makes it's way out of developing markets this time around. It will be sold in Australia, crash tested in Australia, and is fully expected to get a 5-star ANCAP rating.

In addition, (selected?) Thai models will get the full set of airbags and the same stability control systems required to achieve 5-stars ANCAP - so what we buy here should have the same crash safety as export models.

Ditto for the new Everest and new Pajero Sport (AKA Challenger).

Side note: It's also going to be the first time we have reliable & comparable fuel efficiency testing all the way across this segment too.

That's right, the Revo has 3 airbags in it's baseline standard cab models (I don't think more than that could be fitted, well OK maybe 5 though I wonder how that number compares to the standard cab models sold in say Australia?) but for the top dual cab models, it's 7 airbags, signalling that for the first time in Thai automotive history a car has been produced that conforms to developed country safety specifications. Up until 2014, no Thai made car built for the local market had more than 2 airbags.

The Fortuner will be similar, with 7 airbags just like the Revo, the model it is based upon.

Up until 2014, no Thai made car built for the local market had more than 2 airbags

2012 model Thailand domestic Ranger Wildtrak has Driver airbag, Passenger airbag and side curtain airbags.

I doubt it was the first either.

You need big balls to drive a SUV in Thailand at 190 kph with all the crazy roads + the crazy drivers. If you have a death wish

then Thailand is a good place to put your plan into action. I have had to slam on the anchors a few times at only 140 kph in my SUV and its been pure luck that someone else moved or I managed to squeeze through some gap or I would have ploughed through them.

SUV trucks normally would be used as family vehicles or secure placement of larger items in the rear, but in Thailand the question asked is what is the top speed, no one is interested on the safety aspects that need to match the high speed.

Why would anyone care about the top speed? Even on the motorways late at night, about the only places and times you can put the "pedal to the metal" and floor it, if you manage to get to 160-170 km/h and remain there for any length of time you are doing very well indeed. The Fortuner might be able to reach about 170km/h top speed if you push it, definitely not 190km/h though. In any case, these things are irrelevant because nobody, not even Thai speed freaks will get up to anywhere near these speeds anyway. 130-150 (maybe) but very rarely beyond that.

You need big balls to drive a SUV in Thailand at 190 kph with all the crazy roads + the crazy drivers. If you have a death wish

then Thailand is a good place to put your plan into action. I have had to slam on the anchors a few times at only 140 kph in my SUV and its been pure luck that someone else moved or I managed to squeeze through some gap or I would have ploughed through them.

SUV trucks normally would be used as family vehicles or secure placement of larger items in the rear, but in Thailand the question asked is what is the top speed, no one is interested on the safety aspects that need to match the high speed.

Why would anyone care about the top speed? Even on the motorways late at night, about the only places and times you can put the "pedal to the metal" and floor it, if you manage to get to 160-170 km/h and remain there for any length of time you are doing very well indeed. The Fortuner might be able to reach about 170km/h top speed if you push it, definitely not 190km/h though. In any case, these things are irrelevant because nobody, not even Thai speed freaks will get up to anywhere near these speeds anyway. 130-150 (maybe) but very rarely beyond that.

I have a friend that commutes between Pattaya and Bangkok, he has his tuna chipped and speed limiter removed. Often cruises at 200km/h in it.

Up until 2014, no Thai made car built for the local market had more than 2 airbags

2012 model Thailand domestic Ranger Wildtrak has Driver airbag, Passenger airbag and side curtain airbags.

That's news to me. I'm aware the new model Rangers will have 6 airbags, but when I went to the motor show earlier this year I surveyed all the trucks and couldn't find any with more than 2 airbags even in their top models (keeping in mind the new Hilux Revo was not showcased there). My December 2013 purchased top model Isuzu D-Max v-cross 4x4 only has 2 airbags too. Any future models will likely have 6-7 like Toyota. But while I may have neglected to look at the Wildtrak in detail, I'm quite sure the other Ranger models have only had 2.

Highly doubt any Thai made car for the domestic market would have had more than 2 airbags before 2014, apart from the example you made. Before 2012 certainly none. Otherwise it would certainly be strange that it took manufacturers all this time until 2015 to follow suit, therefore it's highly, highly doubtful.

Non are Factory Owned they are Franchises operating to Standards that must be met as set by Toyo,Mazda u name it etc. Or they lose the Franchise... Same with Ford, but not many want their Franchise due to sloppy support from Ford Thailand.

Ford Thailand often fail to update models to keep their range competitive range even though they have some models elsewhere. E.G. the Escape and Everest languishing on the market long after their use by date. No Camry / Accord competitor.

They cannot supply the volume when they do have competitive models like the 3.2 Ranger and Everest. Delivery times are ridiculous and unreliable.

The stock of model to be superseded is run down too low before new models are introduced leaving nothing available for sale, e.g. the Ranger now.

The Dealers may not be perfect but it must be tough selling cars and trucks they can't get.

Ford Australia do not seem to suffer from these problems so presentably the problem is Ford Thailand and the Thai import duty / excise tax policies.

That's news to me. I'm aware the new model Rangers will have 6 airbags, but when I went to the motor show earlier this year I surveyed all the trucks and couldn't find any with more than 2 airbags even in their top models (keeping in mind the new Hilux Revo was not showcased there). My December 2013 purchased top model Isuzu D-Max v-cross 4x4 only has 2 airbags too. Any future models will likely have 6-7 like Toyota. But while I may have neglected to look at the Wildtrak in detail, I'm quite sure the other Ranger models have only had 2.

Highly doubt any Thai made car for the domestic market would have had more than 2 airbags before 2014, apart from the example you made. Before 2012 certainly none. Otherwise it would certainly be strange that it took manufacturers all this time until 2015 to follow suit, therefore it's highly, highly doubtful.

Top spec 2011 Camry has Driver airbag, Passenger airbag and side curtain airbags.

You need to stop "highly doubting".

If you Google the big 3websites in the U.S./UK there are many models we possibly would prefer to Thai offerings. As I heard someone say in a Nissan place."If this is the Top of the Range,same as US whys it got all them plastic covers where switches should be.."..

Top spec here is obviously not top spec in other countries.

There is a reason why a top spec Ranger here is half the price of a top spec Ranger in Australia and it comes down to price and what the manufacturer thinks the market will tolerate..... if the Ranger here was 2 million baht they would sell exactly zero of them.

Archived