Criminal Court Rejects Another Case Ibc Case Against Thaksin

womble

The Criminal Court Monday rejected another criminal lawsuit filed by an American businessman against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The court ruled that the 10-year statute of limitations of the perjury case, in which William Monson accused of Thaksin of perjury regarding civil cases Thaksin had filed against the businessman, had already expired.

Nation

I don't think anyone seriously thought a foriegner would be the one to bring down Thaksin. :o

I don't think anyone seriously thought a foriegner would be the one to bring down Thaksin. :o

Actually when it was first announced that the criminal court was going to look into the lawsuits, I was surprised to read several on TV, whose opinions are normally lucid, actually believe that the criminal court was going to favorably rule for the American. I guess some of us have lived in Thailand long enough to learn, while others are now going through that process.

Actually when it was first announced that the criminal court was going to look into the lawsuits, I was surprised to read several on TV, whose opinions are normally lucid, actually believe that the criminal court was going to favorably rule for the American. I guess some of us have lived in Thailand long enough to learn, while others are now going through that process.

Long enough to learn, that in Thailand leave, doing business to Thais!

Long enough to learn, that in Thailand leave, doing business to Thais!

It would appear that the reasoning behind this court announcement was that the statute of limitations had run out.

Here in Thailand is it the responsibility of the plaintiff to physically carry the defendant into the courtroom?

Next does this mean that if I went out , robbed a bank, and the statute of limitations was 10 years, if the bank didn't get me into the court within the 10 years,,, I would be home scot free with the stolen money ????

Edited by Gonzo the Face

It would appear that the reasoning behind this court announcement was that the statute of limitations had run out.

Here in Thailand is it the responsibility of the plaintiff to physically carry the defendant into the courtroom?

Next does this mean that if I went out , robbed a bank, and the statute of limitations was 10 years, if the bank didn't get me into the court within the 10 years,,, I would be home scot free with the stolen money ????

Gonzo...The answer to your question is...If your name is Toxin and you are the PM, Yes..you probably could, otherwise, I do not think I would chance it.java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:', 'smid_17')

:o.

That the court actaully agreed to consider the cases was a revolution in itself. Statue of limitations is a part of the law process, he filed his suit with three days left.

Thaksin's lawyers have successfully blocked the plaintiff earlier on because cases that form the basis for his lawsuit are under appeal in the Supreme Court. Until their are settled, there's no "perjury".

Some three years ago a Swiss national successfully sued the Interior Ministry for not granting him residency permit despite him being fully qualified. I think the Interior Ministry decided to ignore the court ruling at the time.

Perhaps Thaksin still has his people at that particular court, who knows. He has no control of the Supreme Administrative Court, for example, and the one that sentenced EC to prison.

Perhaps Thaksin still has his people at that particular court, who knows. He has no control of the Supreme Administrative Court, for example, and the one that sentenced EC to prison.

Control someone can be direct, indirect, based on facts, or by fear, or by retribution... The means can be various , and change from time or time, depending on circumstances.

Especially with the thai psyche (AKA = be on the side of the most powerfull, actually fear who is or look superior), I can not imagine a thai judge nailing Mister Thaksin.

They could do it only if they have full backup, a direct order from a very superior person ("charismatic" ?) :o

But, travel in time, by the end of november, and imagine a victory at elections... Mister T will be then totally untouchable by "justice" (the system and the judges).

I remind you that in Thailand a famous lawyer defending human rights and knowing probably some dirty facts about the repression in the south... just "disappeared". Others might commit "suicide" (how unfortunate).

I mean : in this country, people... get killed. For far less then convincting a Prime Minister, who just have won democratics elections, who is in power since 2001, and who is super rich...

So at that point, I really think that Thaksin falling because of the judges, is just a dream....

The real one, the TRT dissolution issue, is still in the works. All Thaksin's opponents willl be watching it closely.

Even in Monson case, the court might have decided already not to consider them, or just pick up one. The fact that they have reached the courts leaves some room for doubt about the outcome (farang vs Thai PM, no brainer).

Thaksin's opponents might not feel sympathtic towards Monson, but they probably think he was really shafted by Thaksin back in the 80-s.