Do I need to report to local immigration within 24 hours of arrival?

I live in Ubon on a retirement visa. Last extension I was told that whenever I arrive back in Thailand that I need to drive to Phibun within 24 hours to tell them, hi, I'm back. I have a departure card dated when I arrive. Do I really need to make an 85 km round trip to say hi right after a 12 hour flight ,every time I come and go?

Whats the point of 90 day online reporting if I still have to go there in person every time I return? I was hoping to avoid driving to Phibun for beaurocratic reasons and was hoping the online reporting would eliminate that trip.

Last time I didn't go there to report in and today they told me I should have reported there when I arrived, but they gave me a notice of reporting anyway.

What can they do if I just don't report and do my online reporting if I'm here 90 days without leaving. Seems like a waste of time and gas to me.

I know of nobody that is doing a report within 24 hours of arrival.

If I recall correctly they were wanting you to do a TM30 which should not be needed unless you move. Do you still have the receipt for it?

• Like 1

If you live in Thailand on a extension (based on retirement) there is no need to register every time you return to Thailand.

Did you do this registration in the past ?

If YES you don't have to do the registration again, If NO then you can do it before you do your next extension. (officially this should be done within 24 Hrs but they don't make a issue out of it)

Many people do the registration at the same day as their extension.

I was never asked to do it in past years or when I lived in Bangkok. The last time I got a 1 year extension they told me that the next time I left and returned to Thailand that I had to drive to Phibun to report in. I still live at the same address I did when I got the extension, I recorded my new address when I made the first extension in Phibun. all the previous paperwork is in my passport, I brought my yellow Tambien Ban with, he handed it back without opening it.

My wife was with, he asked to talk to here and said I should have reported in within 24 hours of my last arrival, she said we had to do registration all over again, she went out to the car to get her blue tambien ban and ID and when she was gone, he stapled a with an October date in it and I asked "set læ̂w?" he said chi, I said thanks and left. Why he asked for things unrelated to my 90 day reporting, and then went ahead and gave me a receipt of notification anyway. Main question is why they even asked me to go report in within a day of arriving. I'm in their computer from my arrival, have a TM6 departure card.

If it was one specific woman there asking me to come in and say hi every time I flew back here, maybe then I could see a resaon for it but it seems to serve no purpose and I've never read or heard of any requirement like that before, except from immigration at Phibun.

I was never asked to do it in past years or when I lived in Bangkok. The last time I got a 1 year extension they told me that the next time I left and returned to Thailand that I had to drive to Phibun to report in. I still live at the same address I did when I got the extension, I recorded my new address when I made the first extension in Phibun. all the previous paperwork is in my passport, I brought my yellow Tambien Ban with, he handed it back without opening it.

My wife was with, he asked to talk to here and said I should have reported in within 24 hours of my last arrival, she said we had to do registration all over again, she went out to the car to get her blue tambien ban and ID and when she was gone, he stapled a with an October date in it and I asked "set læ̂w?" he said chi, I said thanks and left. Why he asked for things unrelated to my 90 day reporting, and then went ahead and gave me a receipt of notification anyway. Main question is why they even asked me to go report in within a day of arriving. I'm in their computer from my arrival, have a TM6 departure card.

If it was one specific woman there asking me to come in and say hi every time I flew back here, maybe then I could see a resaon for it but it seems to serve no purpose and I've never read or heard of any requirement like that before, except from immigration at Phibun.

Confusing I know but, as Ubon Joe says, what they are asking for probably has nothing to do with 90 day address reporting. Strictly speaking, any owner of a residence where a foreigner is staying must submit a TM30 form within 24 hours of the foreigner taking up residence. This is not really your job. The owner of the property (probably your wife) is supposed to do it (when it is enforced).

EDIT: Anyone know if it can be done online? I seem to remember someone saying hotels do it online.

Edited by BritTim

Hotels and such can apply for a password to submit online.

Normal people will have to send the form by mail (with self addressed envelope) or they can visit the local police station to get the form stamped there (if they know about the requirements).

Yes, I already filled out TM30 last year, gave them a copy of my Tambien ban, gave the them a copy of her blue book, still live at the same address.

The story they told her today is every time I leave and return to Thailand, they want me to go to Phibun in person and show my passport and TM6.

I think it's BS and I'm not going to do it unless I hear a compelling reason. Next time I'm doing online 90 day reporting and see if they complain too. I would have done it this time but found out about it 7 days ahead of my 90 day reporting but waited until after midnight to find out I was two hours too late.

• Like 1

Yes, I got fined 1800b once after requesting a certificate of residence because the 'homemaster' aka my wife hadn't reported my whereabouts. ( I have a multi O ).

So far I have reported once, i needed a TM30 form, tabian baan copy and Wives ID copy, she completed the form and I dropped it in.

I'm still unsure if its a TM30 they require or a TM28(?) - I knew that I was officially required to register my whereabouts but I knew it was never enforced, apart from this occasion.

When I did file my whereabouts, it seemed like the staff weren't totally clued up on the procedure. Which makes you wonder.

This is a good subject Thanks Guitar God for bringing it up. I thought the registration should be done at the local Police station nearest to where you stay, not to immigration? (Not that I ever done it).

I mean it would make more sense if it was done that way, I know that the local Police offices keep a tight tag on any foreigner in their jurisdiction....(probably for possible monetary opportunities that might spring forward).

Edited by AlQaholic

Foreigner: must report to immirgation with form TM 28.

Houseowner/Hotel, etc: must report to immigration with form TM 30, but alternatively can report with form TM 30 to the local police station if there is no local immigration office.

A TM28 is for an alien to report a change of address.

A TM30 is for the house master to report an alien staying at their property.

Technically according to the Immigration Act and depending on the interpretation, an alien having permission to enter or re-enter Thailand does in effect report his whereabouts using a TM6.

The house master where an alien takes residence should notify either the local Immigration office, or the local Police if their Imm office isn't in the same province within 24 hours of the alien taking residence there.

My own Immigration office interprets it that only permanent, not temporary change of addresses need to be notified, but some offices may interpret it differently.

• Like 2

How does this relate to foreigners who have their own homes?

(First I have ever heard of this).

In my case I have a 30 year land lease and own the house itself. Others may own their own condo. In both instances no Thai house master.

The TM28 can also be submitted to a police station. But if changing your address I am sure immigration would not accept the receipt for doing one at a police station.

I think immigration also would not accept a receipt for a TM30 done at a police station.

Another problem could be finding a police station that would accept either report.

Last December in Phuket while applying for my 8th retirement extension, the officer says "why you never report address?" Uh, because I was NEVER asked before! He sent me downstairs where it took 2 and 1/2 hours to do this. They stapled in my passport a portion of a form. Will I have to do this every year?

In my case I have a 30 year land lease and own the house itself. Others may own their own condo. In both instances no Thai house master.

You would report yourself as a home or condo owner.

Also if persons name is the lease or rental agreement they could report as the possessor of the residence.

At some offices it seems to be random as far as asking for the report and many do not ask for it at all.

Never been asked and and my immigration office is a 3 hour r/t drive and I leave the country often this would be a huge hassle. I am going to disregard until/unless instructed otherwise by imm....

Confusing I know but, as Ubon Joe says, what they are asking for probably has nothing to do with 90 day address reporting. Strictly speaking, any owner of a residence where a foreigner is staying must submit a TM30 form within 24 hours of the foreigner taking up residence. This is not really your job. The owner of the property (probably your wife) is supposed to do it (when it is enforced).

EDIT: Anyone know if it can be done online? I seem to remember someone saying hotels do it online.

I obviously must be missing something. I have always believed (and done) that one's 90 days starts when a person arrives back in the country, the airport arrival stamp is equivalent to the 90 day stamp. I see references in the replies to "change of address"...but the OP mentions nothing concerning this in his OP.

Never been asked and and my immigration office is a 3 hour r/t drive and I leave the country often this would be a huge hassle. I am going to disregard until/unless instructed otherwise by imm....

I would not worry about it. I have only seen 2 reports of an immigration office saying they wanted one every time a person returned to the country. The immigration act does not even require it the way I read it . It is a one time requirement when a foreigner takes up residence.

The TM28 is only asked for when changing addresses. Although according to the act it should be done if you stay n a different province for more than 24 hours.

Hi Sheryl,

According to section 37 of the Immigration Act.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

It doesn't state you have to be a Thai. Many hotels and guesthouses are owned by foreigners.

Proof you own the residence makes you the house master, owner and possessor of the house.

Section 4 of the Act - Definitions used in the Act.

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Edited by Faz

But as I read that there is nothing that says you have to re-inform every time you come and go after having established a permanent residence. If you checked out of a place, or moved out, then of course. But not everytime you took a trip somewhere without in any way having vacated your residence.

But as I read that there is nothing that says you have to re-inform every time you come and go after having established a permanent residence. If you checked out of a place, or moved out, then of course. But not everytime you took a trip somewhere without in any way having vacated your residence.

It clearly states that the Act applies to any alien entering Thailand.

So if you leave and re-enter you should in theory complete and submit a TM30 every time.

I totally agree with Joe's observations and sentiments though.

It is rarely enforced and most Immigration officers wouldn't be aware of it.

There is the odd report on TV though of fines being issued to the house master for non compliance.

Where? I see no mention of Thailand. It states "time of arrival of the alien " which means arrival at the residence.

I can only detail my own experience and how by the letter of the law I interpret address reporting.

On any entry to Thailand I complete a TM6 which notifies Immigration of my intended residence.

The house master must then submit a TM 30 to confirm my residence at that property.

Unless I permanently move address or leave Thailand I/we have complied with the Act.

I did move to a new permanent address a year ago, which wasn't in the same province of my Immigration office.

I completed a TM28 (change of address) and the landlady completed a TM30 (notification of alien residence)

I took these to my local Police station, who although rather bemused, stamped and signed them giving me back the receipts.

On my next visit to my Immigration office I took the receipts and informed them of my new address.

They asked me to complete another TM28 and TM30 as of that date, changed the details on their computer and returned the receipt slips.

No problems and I was allowed to sign both forms.

Next year I will leave Thailand for a short break back in the UK.

On my return I will complete another TM6 notifying the same address as now, but I will submit a TM30 as taking up residence again even though it's the same address, due to the fact that I have re-entered Thailand.

I'm with Ubonjoe on this. It says arrival at the residence which leaves open how interpreted i.e. is it a new "arrival" if you take a temporary trip away from a place of permanent residence and then come back home. I rather doubt that was the intent. I think they want to be informed when you first take up residence somewhere. Just my reading but makes far more sense than deluging immigration with notices everytime you have taken even a short trip.

Where? I see no mention of Thailand. It states "time of arrival of the alien " which means arrival at the residence.

Who's being pedantic now Joe!

It's the Thailand Law on Immigration which is commonly referred to as the 'Kingdom'

To be precise it's the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following : ..............................

It also has to remembered that it is primarily for hotels and etc. How would they report somebody within 24 hours of arrival of the county if they had been here for weeks staying in other places.

Foreigner: must report to immirgation with form TM 28.

Houseowner/Hotel, etc: must report to immigration with form TM 30, but alternatively can report with form TM 30 to the local police station if there is no local immigration office.

The nearest police station to me is either the tiny one man office 2 km away but I may have to wake him up, the one in Klong Lan 6 km away, the amphur police station 15km away or immigration 125km away down in Nakhon Sawan and they are not interested.

I shouldn't think that the local police stations will be interested either even if they did know anything about it.

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following : ..............................

A person on an extension would be on the same permit to stay that they got when they entered the country using a visa that allowed them the permit stay they have been extending when they enter the country with a re-entry permit.

This is how Phuket immigration interprets it;

Commercial businesses like Hotels etc are required to register there guest within 24 Hrs hours or online with their login and password or with TM30 at the immigration office. ( this can also be used for private people who receive many visitors at once and has to be done every time visitors arriving in Thailand)

Long term residence (like people on retirement extensions etc) are required the register their address within 24 Hrs at their immigration office by using (in case of Phuket) the local address registration form. ( this has only to be done only once)

Using a hotel in Thailand or TM6 address information will not override the address information in the immigration database as they are registered as long term residence.

TM28 is used to register a change of address. (for example moving a new address in Phuket or moving from another province)

People owning their own house/condo still have to do the address registration with the information of the Land owner or business information in case the business owns the land.

Address registration or change of address has to be done at immigration office and only at police station if there is no immigration office in their province.

Edited by merijn