Riding a scooter. What do I need for me and the scooter?

I am 54, and reluctantly I really need my own transport. I have been in Thailand for over a decade, and am on a retirement visa. I don't want to drive, although I do have a UK licence. I live in Surat Thani. I know a lot of people just get a helmet, hop on the family bike and turn the key but I am past all that. I must admit I don't really like bikes but needs must, and I need a bit of freedom.

1. What kind of licence do I need?

2. Does the bike need some kind of tax disc?

3. Is insurance possible?

One other thing, I see these electric bikes and carts. Would I need a licence at all to ride them?

1. Yes, you will need a Motorcycle Licence. if you have a UK one, you might be able to get a Thai one, but not sure requirements without an International Driving Permit. You may have to take their test. Available your local Motor vehicle Dept. aka Dept of Land Transportation.

You will need copies of various documents. You can do a search here on TV for more details. lots of info here.

2. Yes, you will need a "tax disk" ( although it is square in Thailand, rather than round like the old UK ones. Renewable every year, and available from your local Motor Vehicle Dept.

3. Yes, Insurance is necessary. 3rd Class is minimum, but 1st Class insurance advisable.

This might help: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Edited by phetphet

Above advice is good , and may i suggest you have a look at the Yamaha Tricity , if your not too keen on "bikes" . Pracitce on some quiet car park . Helmet , jacket , gloves and good shoes / boots helps . Ride safe .thumbsup.gif

I never rode a scooter or motorcycle in my life, then at 60+ I went through the licensing/testing process and got my Thai motorcycle license (I passed the driving part on the second try).

That said, I am not really comfortable riding my scooter, and prefer my car except for short trips around the village during the main part of the day after the roads clear out.

I know I no longer have a young person's reflexes, and cruising down the road in my tank top, shorts, flip flops and helmet does not give me a great sense of comfort.

My recommendation, if you can swing it and need transportation, is to get a Thai drivers license and buy a car. Being surrounded by metal and airbags is a smarter alternative in my opinion.

I never rode a scooter or motorcycle in my life, then at 60+ I went through the licensing/testing process and got my Thai motorcycle license (I passed the driving part on the second try).

That said, I am not really comfortable riding my scooter, and prefer my car except for short trips around the village during the main part of the day after the roads clear out.

I know I no longer have a young person's reflexes, and cruising down the road in my tank top, shorts, flip flops and helmet does not give me a great sense of comfort.

My recommendation, if you can swing it and need transportation, is to get a Thai drivers license and buy a car. Being surrounded by metal and airbags is a smarter alternative in my opinion.

I'd really discounted driving. I have a UK licence, which I guess could be converted relatively easily. We have a family car,all insured, and taxed.

Yes in balance, figuratively and lierally, I don't trust myself on a bike either, and certainly don't trust Thai drivers.

Oh well! may just have to suffer on foot a while longer.

1. Yes, you will need a Motorcycle Licence. if you have a UK one, you might be able to get a Thai one, but not sure requirements without an International Driving Permit. You may have to take their test. Available your local Motor vehicle Dept. aka Dept of Land Transportation.

You will need copies of various documents. You can do a search here on TV for more details. lots of info here.

2. Yes, you will need a "tax disk" ( although it is square in Thailand, rather than round like the old UK ones. Renewable every year, and available from your local Motor Vehicle Dept.

3. Yes, Insurance is necessary. 3rd Class is minimum, but 1st Class insurance advisable.

This might help: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Thanks for the info. Come to the conclusion I don't really feel safe on a bike, especially in Thailand.