what to do after divorce

cybie

Okay, Long story short. My ex wife has divorced me in Thailand without my knowledge. I can't say I am unhappy.

However, the problem I face is what to do next. I've got the reference number of the divorce, and I've got where the sivorce is registered. However, that is it.

From what I understand my next steps are

1. Go to Buriram and get the papers.

2. Get the papers translated/certified.

3. Give them to the British Embassy.

4. Collect the papers and off I go

After that I can fill out a Freedom to marry form to marry my finacee.

I'm sure that is about it but I was hoping somebody who has been through it would have a better idea if I am missing anything.

It's been a long drawn out saga, but I haven't been able to contact her as after we split she changed her number and didn't respond to e-mails. So it was by chance I even managed to get the details.

Does anyone know what else needs to be done and how long this process will take?

She divorced me for abandoning her, apparently. As probably couldn't get in contact with me (I'm guessing deleted my number/blocked me on e-mail) she used a loop and did it without me there.

did you not have to sign any papers for the divorce ?

It would have been a court divorce. She would take the court order to the umphur and a divorce certificate issued with the words "Verdict in lieu of consent" typed in the signature of applicants space he would normally sign on the Registration of divorce Khor Ror 6.

cybie, collecting your divorce certificate shouldn't take long. Take identification, your marriage certificate if you still have it and anything else you think of to the umphur which will aid them finding your file.

I have some of the paperwork relating to the marriage certificate. Will I have to go to Buriram to get it or can I pick it up in Bangkok? If I can get it in Bangkok it'll save me a fair bit of time.

A friend of mine....he is in a divorce with a Thai and with help of legal service. He states that if your marriage is not acknowledged in your native country, your marriage with a Thai is as such not recognised and you are free to marry anywhere you want, since you are already divorced in Thailand. If you want to get married again in Thailand, you need the papersindeed and may God bless you for making another attempt.biggrin.png

Oh, almost forgot. Congrats and have a party.

I have some of the paperwork relating to the marriage certificate. Will I have to go to Buriram to get it or can I pick it up in Bangkok? If I can get it in Bangkok it'll save me a fair bit of time.

You need to go to the location where the divorce is registered. They have all the paperwork including the court order.

If you no longer have the actual marriage certificate (assuming she didn't have it and hand it in) you may need to file a police loss report for the marriage certificate. The umphur will require either your marriage certificate or a police loss report before they issue the divorce certificate.

If you do need to file a police loss report it's relatively painless and can be done at any police station.

...usually resulting in great loss to the foreigner....

..so bitter-sweet I am sure....

...besides all the emotional turmoil...such as getting over the shock of having been duped by a !@#$%^&*.....

....unless you were to blame.......

My ex wife has divorced me in Thailand without my knowledge.

If you've no knowledge of it, then how do you know she divorced you?

I can't say I am unhappy.

Your ex is ecstatically happy.

After that I can fill out a Freedom to marry form to marry my finacee.

So I wonder why the ex divorced you then?