Selling alcoholic drinks near education institutions facing ban now

Lite Beer

Could be High Noon for the Cowboy............"Do not forsake me O my Darling.......on this our Final Day.........."

Some of Wifees family went to this University just round the corner on Soi 23 ...Visited a few years ago...the University....nice place with a good reputation...

Anyway measuring tapes at the ready.....the clocks ticking....and the train is due in to "Wishbone" at 12 o"clock.....more music....

post-13-0-44910300-1436594552_thumb.jpg

As is often the case in Thailand, there seems to be a lack of logical, rational thinking when such measures are announced. Plenty of reasons above why a law such as this is just stupid.

In the west, universities often have a bar on campus but they also don't have uniforms. Things are different here and university students are still treated like children as far as I can see and this new law is just an extension of that.

As is often the case in Thailand, there seems to be a lack of logical, rational thinking when such measures are announced. Plenty of reasons above why a law such as this is just stupid.

In the west, universities often have a bar on campus but they also don't have uniforms. Things are different here and university students are still treated like children as far as I can see and this new law is just an extension of that.

University students are personna non grata at the moment - so everyone has to suffer. Peace and reconciliation - my arse.

90% of Thais are unable to find their own country on a world map, even not on google maps on their smartphones, but 100% find the next shop selling whisky near to their school.

After whisky sales will be banned, they may still have struggle finding Thailand on a map, but they may not find the way to school anymore, too...

Seems to me the best deterrent to beer buying is to 'up the tax' and make each beer more expensive. Regardless of age, folks, even in T'land, know that 50 baht could buy a 500 ml can of beer or a large plate of decent food. Double the beer tax and for sure, there will be fewer beer buyers, even next to the school.

I believe this is the only reliable method ever employed to limit cigarette buying. Admonitions, gruesome photos of lip cancer, medical professional advice, etc, all fail to reduce ciggy buying. Should work for beer too.

I predict that after the law is introduced it will either very quickly be rescinded, or just as quickly assigned to the "nod nod wink wink, we don't actually police this so do as you have always done" statute book.

There are just too many shops who need to sell to adults that, if this ban was enforced, would suffer. The adult customers, too, will be put out.

What's the chances that someone behind this law has shares in a shop himself, and it's 310 metres from a school, and within 300 metres of that school are his 2 or 3 biggest competitors in liquor sales?

7/11 and Lotus will not be happy to lose products from their shelves.

Exactly.

And there are many within the 300 m mark.

It's possible they will adjust the law to operate only during school hours...all they'll miss out on is the 11am - 2pm selling time.

Seems to me the best deterrent to beer buying is to 'up the tax' and make each beer more expensive. Regardless of age, folks, even in T'land, know that 50 baht could buy a 500 ml can of beer or a large plate of decent food. Double the beer tax and for sure, there will be fewer beer buyers, even next to the school.

I believe this is the only reliable method ever employed to limit cigarette buying. Admonitions, gruesome photos of lip cancer, medical professional advice, etc, all fail to reduce ciggy buying. Should work for beer too.

Why punish everyone when trying to address drunken students?

Mind you, the ban DOES affect everyone who lives close to a school.

Doesn't work. Some (all?) Scandinavian countries have a huge problem with alcohol and have very high taxes and even limit the number and type of outlets selling the strong stuff. They still have a problem. In the UK, and probably elsewhere, they keep putting the price of ciggies up. Do you know anyone who has given up smoking because they cost too much? I don't.

It's not very well thought out, is it?

What's the aim? It seems as if the aim is to hinder students access to alcohol. It's not the way to do it.

Firstly, age restrictions on sales are what should be enforced, EVERYWHERE.

Secondly, if a student is of age (21? 18?), what they do outside the education establishment is their business. Being drunk on school/college/uni grounds is the school's business.

Thirdly, 300 metres? As mentioned above, 301 or 310 metres is not going to stop anyone who really wants a drink from getting a drink.

How about just saying no sales to kids in uniform? And if you want to be pedantic about it, make it no sales to kids in uniform within the magic 300 metres.

It doesn't matter if 300/400 or even 1000 m all what the kids are doing is jump on their motorbikes and drive to buy the booze

One of our local noodle shops sells beer and cigarettes. Two days ago he had a visit from civilian clothed officials, ordering him to stop as Sarasas school is close by.

After initial panic owner called friends at the local Police station and inquired about it.

They said he has to comply as orders came straight from the top.

He never sold anything to school kids. He is the only source of a cold beverage for those nearby.

BTW this is in Bangkok, Northeast.

So now any 7-11, Family mart, Big-C, or Tescos will have the remove alcohol from their shelves if they are 300 meters from a school. I expect to see lots of officials with giant tape measures spreading out across Bangkok and the provinces in the next 30 days to see if shops are within or outside the boundary.

The only way to get 300m away from a 7-11 is to build schools 300m below the sea. How will the kids get to school? Hey guys! We're gonna need another 67,000 submarines.

T