Trump's Phoenix visit to highlight party's immigration split

Lite Beer

Trump's Phoenix visit to highlight party's immigration split

PHOENIX (AP) — Donald Trump is stepping into the heart of the nation's battle over immigration when he visits Arizona, but the Republican presidential candidate will come face to face with not only immigrant-rights advocates but a Republican Party that is trying to move beyond the divisive issue.

The state's major Chamber of Commerce group, both U.S. senators and a host of other Republican backers heaped their ire on Trump as Saturday's visit drew near. Democrats and Republicans who run the city government blasted him even as they supported his right to rent the city owned Phoenix Convention Center for what is expected to be an overflow crowd. And Republican Gov. Doug Ducey, who met Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker when they were recently in the state, is snubbing the real estate mogul.

Protesters plan to gather outside the convention center.

Maricopa County's tough-on-immigration sheriff, Joe Arpaio, is set to speak before Trump at the event, which comes weeks after the June 16 campaign kickoff speech in which Trump said Mexican immigrants bring drugs and crime to the country and some are rapists. He's since faced a series of cancellations from companies that do business with him or his companies.

Sen. Jeff Flake, who with Sen. John McCain sponsored a 2013 comprehensive immigration reform bill that stalled when it reach the House, said Trump's views "are coarse, ill-informed and inaccurate, and they are not representative of the Republican Party.

"As an elected Republican official, I'm disappointed the county party would host a speaker that so damages the party's image," Flake said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-11

Whether you like him or not, the man is blunt, and to the point on his beliefs, and doesn't hide behind "political correctness", which is more than you can say about 99.9% of ALL politicians.

and he'll never BE a politician

Whether you like him or not, the man is blunt, and to the point on his beliefs, and doesn't hide behind "political correctness", which is more than you can say about 99.9% of ALL politicians.

and he'll never BE a politician

If by "politician", you mean someone who will say what they think people want to hear, whether they actually believe in it or not, or someone who will flat out lie to voters about things, or someone who looks to see "what's in it for me" at every opportunity, then I have to agree with you. coffee1.gif

So, little Jeffie Flake and Jebbie and the chamber of commerce boys are peeing all over themselves. Why, they want cheap labor, or in the case of Jebbie Bush, Mexican love. But the American people disagree with them, and so the establishment is fearfully trying to shut down debate on this issue. It all goes to show that ONLY a billionaire like Trump could have ever taken on this issue. Anybody else with less money or influence would have been mau-maued into silence by the likes of Beltway Republicans, the Maoist Democrats, and their media lapdogs. And THAT is why these guys or so scared. For the first time in forever, they can't shut somebody down and control the message.

So, little Jeffie Flake and Jebbie and the chamber of commerce boys are peeing all over themselves. Why, they want cheap labor, or in the case of Jebbie Bush, Mexican love. But the American people disagree with them, and so the establishment is fearfully trying to shut down debate on this issue. It all goes to show that ONLY a billionaire like Trump could have ever taken on this issue. Anybody else with less money or influence would have been mau-maued into silence by the likes of Beltway Republicans, the Maoist Democrats, and their media lapdogs. And THAT is why these guys or so scared. For the first time in forever, they can't shut somebody down and control the message.

the dems are lovin it!

If being a politician means biting the tongue instead of speaking out, I don't think he wants to be one. With $USD 9 billion folding ones in his pocket he doesn't have ti kiss up.

and yet he tries to be one! lol. and he doesnt have 9 billion in his pocket

On US's NPR, there was a discussion about Trump's faux pas statement about Mexicans being rapists. One of his fellow Republican candidates was asked to go on record to comment made a succint statement. He said,

"If a man wrestles with a pig, they both get muddy, ....but the pig likes it."

Trump will hopefully drop out of the race before he does too much damage to his political party. He is a businessman and he is fairly hot tempered. He can't just fire congress. Businessmen do a good job with businesses, but politics is a different animal.

Trump will hopefully drop out of the race before he does too much damage to his political party. He is a businessman and he is fairly hot tempered. He can't just fire congress. Businessmen do a good job with businesses, but politics is a different animal.

he's not even a good businessman, bankrupt 5 times

Maybe it's time we had a "business man" running the country. The politicians have done one hell of a job in screwing it up every way possible.

And he's STILL a billionaire! Sounds like a pretty good businessman to me.

And he's STILL a billionaire! Sounds like a pretty good businessman to me.

I'm sure it does. but real businessmen actually make a return on investment, not a loss.

Trump has never been bankrupt. Geez.

I'm getting a kick out of watching him make the establishment squirm, and I have no use for the establishment "politicians".

Now some yo-yo is going to tell me that one of Trump's corporations went bankrupt and that's the same as Trump going bankrupt. A corporation is a person in the eyes of the law. A corporation can go bankrupt and advantage the owner. Sometimes it's a good business model.

Cheers

Now some yo-yo is going to tell me that one of Trump's corporations went bankrupt and that's the same as Trump going bankrupt. A corporation is a person in the eyes of the law. A corporation can go bankrupt and advantage the owner. Sometimes it's a good business model.

Cheers

not for the investors. the bozo cant build a worthwhile business to save his soul.

Trump has never been bankrupt. Geez.

I'm getting a kick out of watching him make the establishment squirm, and I have no use for the establishment "politicians".

he's handing the election to the dems! lol. brilliant plan!!

He can't damage the GOP more than they are doing to themselves. They are a party of grey men sucking up to the 1% and are losing credibility at an astounding rate as they try to censor the one person in the party that says what the PEOPLE want to hear- the TRUTH.

As much as Trump can be a pompous fool at times at least he is shaking things up a bit. Washington is so corrupt and so controlled by special interest groups that there is no choice left for Americans. The U.S. desperately needs a third party to try to clean things up.

Amen!

Cheers

you're right about that, swindlers never go bankrupt.

If all the politicians were dumped and replaced by businessmen and entrepreneurs, we might have a functional world again. Politicians are essentially societal parasites. Feed off the system and contribute nothing of value.

Edited by connda

He's a racist buffoon and the face of the Republican party. He should have the nomination wrapped up by the fall.

He's a realist calling it how it is in the face of Political Correctness. It all depends on your perspective, or how well you've been indoctrinated into the Borg...Nanny-State collective.

I was just watching the TV news and a CNN pundit said that Trump is getting 70% of all of the news coverage about Republican candidates. That's with all candidates combined.

Not long after another "contender", Mike Huckabee was being interviewed and all the reporter wanted to know about was Trump. Huckabee agreed to answer if he could be invited back to talk about himself. LOL.

Trump is a master at self promotion, if nothing else.